Duds and Duds

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if that's true-- when you're better than another team at literally every other position, there is absolutely no excuse not to win, let alone getting blown.
The defensive strategy looked...did we have a defensive strategy?

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if that's true-- when you're better than another team at literally every other position, there is absolutely no excuse not to win, let alone getting blown.
i disagree. it all starts with the players in the trenches. if the saints are getting uncontested pressure on the qb, it is nearly impossible to execute the plays.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds=Everyone. One of the worst team performances I've seen in a long time. Both the offense and defense were absolutely awful. Hopefully it's an isolated bad game, but there was nothing in this game that made me feel optimistic going forward this season.

One caveat.

The new punter looked like an upgrade over the old punter.

Other that that, yes, everyone.

For those convinced the sky is falling, however....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
i think we had two defensive strategies some players were playing pettine's strategy, and others were trying to play barry's.
Looked to me like the second coming of the Capers Defense. They couldn't contain a QB that in the past wasn't known for his ability to scramble all that much. Winston had 6 carries for 37 yds and quite a few of those were for first downs. Meanwhile the Packer run game had 15 carries for 43 yds and very few first downs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Kenny Clark is a bit over-rated or at least not worth the contract that the Packers paid him?

4 year, $70M included a $25M signing bonus, $34.09 guaranteed.

I realize his job just isn't about sacks and pressures and also he has crap playing on both sides of him, but he sure didn't look like a top 10 DT yesterday and a lot of last season.

Absolutely not. 100% a MASSIVE piece to any success the defense has - outside Jaire IMO the biggest.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
i disagree. it all starts with the players in the trenches. if the saints are getting uncontested pressure on the qb, it is nearly impossible to execute the plays.

Rodgers sucked yesterday from a clean pocket. The OL does not explain this entire debacle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I'm worried less about the offense, than I am the defense. I think with time, if Rodgers is actually 100% in (which I am not sure of), the offense will come around. That defense looked pathetic though and maybe the Saints offense is better than most expected, but with Brees, Michael Thomas and T. Smith not playing yesterday, the Packer defense made them look pretty good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Absolutely not. 100% a MASSIVE piece to any success the defense has - outside Jaire IMO the biggest.

I hope someday we can talk about this success the defense has and Clark's part in it. While I agree, Clark is a good player, he has a lot to prove to warrant what the Packers paid him IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope someday we can talk about this success the defense has and Clark's part in it. While I agree, Clark is a good player, he has a lot to prove to warrant what the Packers paid him IMO.

Hence why I said successes not all inclusive success - which is something escaping the team a lot lately. It isn't an all or nothing thing when you have multitude of snaps a game where success or failure can be had each play, even separately based on which player or unit you're discussing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One caveat.

The new punter looked like an upgrade over the old punter.

Other that that, yes, everyone.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm not concerned that they're going to suck season long.

I'm just ticked that they got pantsed by a team that they're dramatically superior to.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think they mentioned this during the broadcast and maybe someone brought it up. The Saints receiving group yesterday consisted of only one drafted player and that was former Packer Ty Montgomery (1 reception for 5 yds). While they didn't torch the Packers secondary, I hope Rodgers was thinking about that and comparing the group of WR's he now has to work with.

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why Dillon doesn't get more snaps? He literally makes an impact every time he gets carries. I honestly believe the offense would've had more success if he would've been featured more.
Personally just from a fans perspective? When Defenses are fresh and over zealous early in a game? I’d feature Dillon more because he’s good for 2 yards post contact. Using those 2 as change of pace is key to getting the most out of them. That’s just my novice observation, but sometimes playcallers get blinders on trying to execute an entire game.
Do what works
That and using Dillon in the Redzone such as goal to go inside the 10. He’s proven effective there, much like beast mode was up there in Seattle. Dillon will take a 2nd n goal to go from the 8 and make it 3rd n 3 from the 3. Big difference.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not concerned that they're going to suck season long.

I'm just ticked that they got pantsed by a team that they're dramatically superior to.

It happens.

Not too much jubilation in Minnesota, Buffalo or Tennessee this morning I imagine.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's only one dud, and it's Matthew Patrick "Matt" LaFleur. Not only did he give his first stringers the preseason off, he didn't try to win those games with the players he did play. That's a surefire recipe for not having your team ready to play.
idk man, i think i could find you at least 20 more

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rarely listen to or pay attention to Stephen A however, his review of Rodgers, LeFluer and this game was spot on. Optics of the day, Rodgers looked like he did not care; before the game Adamms said they were ready, hyped... uh, they sure did not show it on the field. As for Joe Berry, the guy's resume was horrible as a DC, he had little success in Detroit, Washington and just took a top 10 D and turned it into a push-over bottom 3 in one game. As for A. Rodgers, have a strong feeling that he will not be able to pull this together, his head is not in it, his heart is in not in it, despite the rhetoric from his mouth, the guy just does not want to be a Packer anymore that showed in his play.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF individual grades glean as much as or confirm what I felt about the game as a whole.

Top 5 Offensive players include our back up QB (Love) and then 4 blockers. Jenkins was highest and in 41 pass blocking situations allowed only 1 pressure. Marcedes was the next highest and did awesome blocking as usual and threw in the 19 yard reception. Myers and Patrick were the other two, with Patrick only slipping into the mix despite the multiple pressures allowed by his run blocking - which was one of the best of the OL on the day.

Worst 5 Offensive players are of no shock...Jones, Lazard, Rodgers, Daffney and Tonyan. Non graded higher than a miserable 55, and four beneath 51.

Top 5 Defensive players were Preston (86.3) followed next by Stokes (79.3), Jaire (75.9), Amos (75.1) and Burks (73.8) - be cautious with Burks as it was based on 7 snaps. Likewise Stokes saw just eight snaps - albeit seemingly did well on those 8. Supports my concept the secondary did well and wasn't the main issue for the day.

Worst of the day on defense, with NONE getting a higher rating than 47.1 (Rivers) and in order highest to lowest: Rivers, King, Garvin, Barnes and Keke.

Article you can find the results if you don't have PFF access is https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-week-1-vs-saints/

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's only one dud, and it's Matthew Patrick "Matt" LaFleur. Not only did he give his first stringers the preseason off, he didn't try to win those games with the players he did play. That's a surefire recipe for not having your team ready to play.
I don't know if losing preseason games mean much but it was a mistake to have the starters not see any action in those games. They all looked rusty as hell.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were the Saints picked to win it all? Losing twice to one team is not unusual. Getting your butts stomped on for 60 minutes and scoring 3 points with a "high powered offense" is entirely different. Not to mention being every ones SB pick.
Who picked the Pack for the SB?

Members online

No members online now.