Duds and Duds

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When your team is down 28-3 you can't look too psyched up.
No, but when you're down 3-17 you can at least show some interest in the game and attempt to rally your troops. That's a leadership quality Rodgers has never had. It's when I miss Bart and Brett the most.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question is has #12 given us any reason to believe what he says? He has planted that seed of doubt. With what he has done already, why is it so far fetched to think that he would go so low as to purposely play badly? Credibility? As far as I'm concerned, #12 lost all of his on last years draft day.
I'm not 100% sure (yet) that he's intentionally playing badly, but the bottom line is he's playing badly. He has always taken care of the ball and on that second interception he the just threw it up with abandon. And his reaction afterwards was, "Meh."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did everything he could this summer to quit on this team. As for his skills, have you ever seen him miss receivers as badly and consistently as he did today?
It is really difficult to see the field on TV. But I had the feeling our guys were not getting open. I think LaFleur (or Hackett) needs to recognize that we do not respond well to tight coverage. And we need to get out of the **** and dunk or bomb to MVS mode and start looking for the 10 to 15 yard plays. We also probably need to give our other receivers more chances. Our starters really don't look that special imho.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How on earth do fans watch a blowout loss and then blame one singular player?

Why is MLF always blameless in these embarrassing blowouts (he has a track record at this point).

Hot takes: The oline is going to suck this year until 69 returns.

The defense is going to suck all year. MLF hired Barry based on nothing other than the fact they're buddies, so the results aren't too surprising. The D lacks talent and it's finally catching up to us.

Well after everything that happened in the off-season that player obviously was going to get ragged on the moment anything went bad. Plus even though there were plenty of things outside of his control today, it was a bad look on his part when he seemed to move slow and hang his head, even though in some ways I feel for him there.

As I said in another thread, I just don't think it's smart to have to be keeping a player on your team if you told him or even implied to him that you're about to send him out after this year. He might try to win within reason, but if you've shown that you still got that same old junk bag defense and are going to need him to make those hail mary super plays, why would he want to put on that superhero cape? I don't think he planned to play for us again this year just so he had to come bail us out all the time. He's likely to be thinking all right, I've had enough of this. Ill just wait till I get to a team with an actual good defense.

And I totally agree Matt LaFleur needs to have fire bricks coming down on his head. His game plan was obviously garbage and he had no working adjustments to the Saints defense. And yeah, hiring that clown Barry and promoting Maurice Drayton are cardinal offenses and awful for a team that needs to put a stop to mediocre play in these departments. He and Mark Murphy need to be barbecued in the GBPG, MJS and the WTMJ radio station for making dumb decisions like these.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Aaron himself said he felt the OL did great at protection overall for the game, and he took ownership of the one sack given up, so he blamed protection for 1 sack.

The front four of Saints are stout, and I'm struggling to understand the frustrations felt towards the OL, at least in the protection aspects of things. Sure, I am not saying they were blowing holes open in the run game - but I am a little befuddled by the hate some are having towards the OL.

There is a lot of bad items to peg on this game...but I don't see the OL being one.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

15 pressures on 36 drop backs ~ AR faced pressure on 42% of his attempts. While not horrible that's not great, either. Not as bad as the Bear's OL getting blown back 10 yards (Cody Whitehair) but they've got to give him a cleaner pocket. I get it, they're young & inexperienced (OC & RG) but being stout in pass protection is the #1 objective of this line. #2 is moving people on run plays, which they didn't do well (at least for Jones).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

15 pressures on 36 drop backs ~ AR faced pressure on 42% of his attempts. While not horrible that's not great, either. Not as bad as the Bear's OL getting blown back 10 yards (Cody Whitehair) but they've got to give him a cleaner pocket. I get it, they're young & inexperienced (OC & RG) but being stout in pass protection is the #1 objective of this line. #2 is moving people on run plays, which they didn't do well (at least for Jones).

One of the reasons the pressure got to him also was their secondary coverage was much better than anyone expected - and AR does love to hold the ball.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Clark comments yesterday, right on point, view his comments on ESPN: Packers were physically, emotionally and psychologically UNPREPARED for the game yesterday. Why? Off season where the team, coaches don't know if they will have their MVP QB playing this year; where division was created between management and team and within the team; where they don't play starters during 3 pre-season games, where they have a new DC, few "stars" on Defense, they bring back argueably some of the worst CB/S in the game based on last year performance, where the team was split apart by Rodgers offseason antics and the statements (or lack thereof) of the GM and Pres.. This team came into the NO game without being a team, little chemistry and not one element O, D, ST, Coaches showed up for this game. Some may counter with NO was "up" because of the Hurricane, well GB should have been "up" to start the season by beating a potential rival for a playoff berth. IMO this is not going to be the only game like this, the Seahawks, Browns, Bengals, 49r's, Chiefs, Cardinals were really good yesterday and even Detroit and Bears showed some offense. Count em, might be as many as 7, 8 or even 9 losses this year based on what everyone saw yesterday. Will Rodgers get better, sure, will O and D get better sure; question is whether they can get better as a TEAM and IF there is leadership that brings every player along. Right now this is a broken team, in all aspects and as a fan don't expect it to improve enough to make the playoffs.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have little concern for the offense. The Saints are a good defense that caught GB on a bad day. It happens.

The defense however... my expectations were already low but now they're firmly rock bottom. I believe the DL and LBs are simply too bad for this unit to be any good. The offense will need to have long sustained drives for this team to have success.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big surprise the media people are full on speculating again, though most were wrong about the offseason and how it unfolded as well. It's not like this team has never been unprepared for a game before. Or not taking any remotely meaningful snap together as a team until it was 100 degrees on a field in FL probably didn't have anything to do with it either. It was Rodgers...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will not advocate for knee jerk reactions on one game, however if the front trench guys cannot produce more of a push - activate Heflin and see what happens. You have nothing to lose if this is the norm.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the reasons the pressure got to him also was their secondary coverage was much better than anyone expected - and AR does love to hold the ball.
yes, but on the 1 INT, there was big pressure right in his face almost immediately. right up the middle as fast as he could get there. There weren't too many plays I thought pressure was able to get to him because of holding it too long. Yes, there coverages were good, seemed like they knew what we were running when we lined up half the time. But they also beat the line pretty good too.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well after everything that happened in the off-season that player obviously was going to get ragged on the moment anything went bad. Plus even though there were plenty of things outside of his control today, it was a bad look on his part when he seemed to move slow and hang his head, even though in some ways I feel for him there.

As I said in another thread, I just don't think it's smart to have to be keeping a player on your team if you told him or even implied to him that you're about to send him out after this year. He might try to win within reason, but if you've shown that you still got that same old junk bag defense and are going to need him to make those hail mary super plays, why would he want to put on that superhero cape? I don't think he planned to play for us again this year just so he had to come bail us out all the time. He's likely to be thinking all right, I've had enough of this. Ill just wait till I get to a team with an actual good defense.

And I totally agree Matt LaFleur needs to have fire bricks coming down on his head. His game plan was obviously garbage and he had no working adjustments to the Saints defense. And yeah, hiring that clown Barry and promoting Maurice Drayton are cardinal offenses and awful for a team that needs to put a stop to mediocre play in these departments. He and Mark Murphy need to be barbecued in the GBPG, MJS and the WTMJ radio station for making dumb decisions like these.
If #12 is thinking the way you describe PFIC, then he should quit now! I can't believe that you would even consider the thought that it would be okay to basically throw games. Time to quit defending this guy on the basis that he deserves better. Why the hell does he deserve better? He's a superstar right? Play like it in ANY situation! For the umteenth time, that's why he gets paid the big bucks! Yeah the d sucks and has for a lonnnnnnnnng time but c'mon thats not all thats going on here. The guy is a disease.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there coverages were good, seemed like they knew what we were running when we lined up half the time. But they also beat the line pretty good too.

It was clear their gameplan trumped ours to a level I haven't seen much in my 35 years of life being a Packer fan.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was clear their gameplan trumped ours to a level I haven't seen much in my 35 years of life being a Packer fan.
They outplayed us period. Even Jones, could have had a first down there early in the game, New set of downs, build momentum and he stopped trying to get more yards and was stopped short. Just get to the sticks, get 1st downs. Good things happen with 1st downs. We just had zero consistency for all sorts of reasons.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Absolutely inexcusable.

The Packers have better talent at literally every spot on their roster other than the OL.

They are a dramatically better team, personnel wise.

You have to screw up epically to get stomped that bad by a roster that's that worse than yours.

I don't know if it was gameplan, playcalling, or Rodgers ******** it up, but they were absolutely not within the system of the offense. If we end up back in the world of Rodgers trying to play hero ball every week, they're going to suck. Before he bought into the system last year, he was producing like a league average QB for five years in a row. It's his talent in the context of the scheme that makes things special. You need both.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Kenny Clark is a bit over-rated or at least not worth the contract that the Packers paid him?

4 year, $70M included a $25M signing bonus, $34.09 guaranteed.

I realize his job just isn't about sacks and pressures and also he has crap playing on both sides of him, but he sure didn't look like a top 10 DT yesterday and a lot of last season.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have better talent at literally every spot on their roster other than the OL.
unfortunately, the ol is dramatically worse. not just unimproved. not just a little worse. two all-pro linemen are either gone or out for half the season. and two completely untested rookies are starting. that's 40% of the o-line. and the guys who are still here from last season are playing different positions than last season. and on top of that, there was no effort made in preseason to have the starting five play together so they could settle in a little. it makes a huge difference in the offense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
unfortunately, the ol is dramatically worse. not just unimproved. not just a little worse. two all-pro linemen are either gone or out for half the season. and two completely untested rookies are starting. that's 40% of the o-line. and the guys who are still here from last season are playing different positions than last season. and on top of that, there was no effort made in preseason to have the starting five play together so they could settle in a little. it makes a huge difference in the offense.

Even if that's true-- when you're better than another team at literally every other position, there is absolutely no excuse not to win, let alone getting blown.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Kenny Clark is a bit over-rated or at least not worth the contract that the Packers paid him?

4 year, $70M included a $25M signing bonus, $34.09 guaranteed.

I realize his job just isn't about sacks and pressures and also he has crap playing on both sides of him, but he sure didn't look like a top 10 DT yesterday and a lot of last season.
it's the same situation as the o-line. you can have a stud player like elgton jenkins, but if you surround him with guys that would not be starters on any other nfl team, he can't possibly make up for the difference. but i do think he's a little overpaid. not a lot, but a little. sometimes you have to overpay for a player when he's the only good player you have in that group.

Members online