1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't drink the kool aid

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by robkeg, Oct 6, 2007.

1. robkeg

robkeg Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am not quite ready to buy into GB is for real but, so far so good. I think they have a legit shot at the playoffs but we need to be able to run the ball. This week against the bears may be the chance. I know their D is stout but they are missing some guys and this good be the break out week.

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

Okay, don't drink. I will take yours then! :)

I know what you're saying. I'm excited, but I'm not thinking a 13th championship just yet.

3. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    if it is not broke do not fix it. 45 passes 15 rushes v.s. bears

4. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds about right. I don't understand why some people think the Packers should run the ball more against the Bears than they have against other opponents this season.

5. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly don't believe it is broke - just underutlized as the passing has gotten the job done. I think they need to attempt more rushes than they have been. (but only after a sizeable lead from passing of course :wink: )

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I myself don't see anything wrong with getting excited about the fact that we are 4-0. Does that mean Super Bowl yet? No. But it means we are in a position that unless this team completely implodes, we SHOULD make the playoffs. THat means we at least have a realistic shot at making it to the big show. So why NOT drink the kool aid? Whats the worst that can happen? Like i said, the team falls flat. In which case theres really nothing we can do about it anyway, right? So DRINK and enjoy it while its all going well!

7. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    but then again your an intelligent person of sound mind and body.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    We DO have a few of those people here Pacnic! :wink: :lol:
    I say to go with what works, until you are forced to do otherwise. Hopefully by that point, Brett will be lifting up the SB trophy for all to see!
    (Hey......i can dream, right? It just might happen!!!) :D

9. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    By default alone this team might be able to win the division. I agree it's to early to presume anything. That goes for righting the team off and for putting them in the Super Bowl in my opinion. One game at a time. :)

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    THats the way they are played. It's early, for sure. But 4-0 sure beats last years 1-3! Plus they are winning with good play, not just by a lucky bounce. Will they go all the way? I don't know. But it sure has been a fun ride so far! Whatever it ends up to be, it's fun!

11. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We are 4-0 now, if we only go .500 the rest of the way that puts us at 10-6 and the playoffs.
    Give me the koolaid.

12. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is not directed at any single person or even at this thread. The title just prompted me to share a thought I often have when reading in any forum.

Just curious -- how did kool-aide get such a bad rap?

Winning football take energy, believing and passion. It seems that every single time a coach, player or fan shows either of the last two there is always someone wanting to throw out the old 'kool-aide' line as if that should end the subject.

Yeah, don't drink the kool-aide, stick to the prune juice. Perhaps it will help with the constipation

13. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I wondered the same thing Bruce. When I first heard of it, which I believe was on this forum I was like wtf whats wrong with koolaid? It's very cost efficient and gives you something like two quarts of yummy drinks.

14. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    One thought is that it refers to "buying into an idea" whether good or bad.

Reference the Jonestown mass suicide (very bad), or in the opposite sense to indicate that one has blindly embraced a particular philosophy or perspective, hence the phrase "A Kool-Aid drinker".

And please, no remarks about "Purple Kool-Aid" :wink:

15. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    We use the short pass as a run, which is what Holmgren did in his time here. I believe the pass will open up the run. I'm a bit leery of our4-0 record but I'll take it. The team has played well.

16. LambeauEast

LambeauEast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    "drinking the kool-aid" is in reference to the Jonestown massacre. Reverend Jim Jones killed his followers with a mixture of kool-aid and cyanide. And if they didn't take it, well, held down and injected with it.

But on a happier note, 4-0 is sweet right now...BRING ON THE BEARS!!!!!

17. Tileman

Tileman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm certainly not drinking the kool-aid, the teams we've beaten collectively are 5-11, not real good. But don't get me wrong, they're performing far better then I anticipated. It's been a great surprise, but I think playoff and championship talk is way premature.

18. LambeauEast

LambeauEast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heyyyy, grape kool-aid was always my favorite.

19. Tileman

Tileman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Today on "Outside the Lines" with Bob Ley, the story was on Rob Jones grandson of Jim Jones of Jonestown. Any way they went over the whole Jonestown massacre, but instead of saying Kool-Aid, they said Flavor-Aid. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

20. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Do you have the data for the other undefeated teams as well?

Edit,
    Patriots = 4 - 12
    Cowboys = 3 - 13
    Colts = 6 - 9

21. Tileman

Tileman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

So, I don't need to know the Patriots and Colts opponents records. The eye test tells me {and almost everyone that doesn't have an agenda} they're the class or the league now. The Cowboys look to me to be the best in the NFC right now.

22. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I ... didn't say you needed to know. You had the Packers data, I thought maybe you had the others as well. Then I realized who it was and the type of post and did the research myself. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Sorry to ruffle ya feathers, sir agenda.

Not that it matters, but I thought it was interesting. Two of the Cowboys wins came off teams that have an 0 - 4 record.

23. KGB94SACKEM

KGB94SACKEM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not yet sold on the Cowboys but the Colts and Pats are definitely the cream of the Crop.

24. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm pretty much in the same boat with you. Did you see any of that Cowboys/Rams game? The Rams weren't even running full speed at Romo on that bad snap. I swear they stopped to smoke a cigarette and watched him pick up the ball.

But of course, ESPN says it was a GREAT HEADS UP PLAY by Romo. It was a good play on Romo, but dang, how hard is to run away from two guys who are jus jogging at ya?

25. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    mmmm.. I'm getting thirsty.
    Right now if I go with my mind instaed of heart I say we lose to the Cowboys in the NFC final which would already be awesome. But if we somehow get homefield who knows. I do think down the road we'll have tu get running but against the Bears it's their secondary that's injured so bombs away