Donald Driver

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Driver having a quad injury, 2 offseason surgeries, and no catches the past two weeks are we looking towards the end of drivers career? I know he signed an extension, but at this point I wonder if its counter productive to have him on the field instead of one of our younger WRs? We know Rodgers needs all the time he can with these young WRs to develop a connection.

What do you guys think?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's a pretty upsetting point to make, but it's an unforgiving game...so it's a valid point...I think he still has another season in him, but it's getting close, he's rarely been injured

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
oooooooo I just read this.. DD IS what Packers mean to me!!! He's always been such a great player,... I know every great player must bow out at some point... (ahem*)...but I really don't think its Donald's time yet!!!! Nooo not yet!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to rest him next week and the bye week and see what's what. Still too soon to put the cap on his career.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't know, I mean, he's such a comfort to have out there on the field. He can consistently catch the ball, maybe his age just means being injured more often. Without the injuries, he's looked the same as he always has.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the couple of weeks rest theory. I thought he'd stay out this week already. Still need his experience for the playoff run.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like that quad has been nagging him for, what, about 3 weeks now? I think it started in the Miami game this year. I definately don't think that this is the beginning of the end of DD. But I do think that it is the beginning of the end of DD running those dangerous short slants across the middle. He is in such awesome physical shape, I don't think that a quad problem i going to keep him in active for long, certainly not career threatening.

I also like the two weeks of rest theory.

Cowboys secondary is b.a.d. It might be nice to see GJ have a monster day. With Finely and DD gone, and obviously a non-threatening rushing attack, lets see our offense really center around one of the best receivers in the league-GJ85.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If he plays like this the entire season (and I don't think he will), I see no reason he should be on this team next year.

At that point he'd just be an old guy taking up a roster spot.

I'm hoping he's just hurt and that some rest will cure all his issues.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he plays like this the entire season (and I don't think he will), I see no reason he should be on this team next year.

At that point he'd just be an old guy taking up a roster spot.

I'm hoping he's just hurt and that some rest will cure all his issues.

that's almost blasphemy...almost

Reaction score
Don't be to hasty guys. He has had a quad injury. It most likely wont be a season ending injury. It's like a pulled hamstring except it's with the quad. What's this I hear about DD not having enough in the tank and not making the roster next year. He was doing fine before the quad injury. If u take away the last 2 games he had 307 yards in 5 games. Not flashy numbers but it's still productivity considering we like to spread the ball around. Put it this way you will see DD in a packer uniform at least 2 years from now. You can take that to the bank.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know Driver will drop off ... hopefully he's got a little left in the tank though.

The unsettling thing for me is the guys behind him (especially Jones) do not look like they will be able to pick up the slack. Jordy had a nice game today, but Jones has regressed. Poor game against Miami and a poor game today. He needs to make the catch on the long ball and also made a bad read when he cut off his route.

After all the preseason hype, Jones looks pedestrian at best. He lacks top end speed, is a bit fumble prone, and now is dropping passes he should catch. I wonder how confident Rodgers is in his play right now.

You must have missed Jones big game against Minn. It was a pretty good game.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must have missed Jones big game against Minn. It was a pretty good game.
I dont know why everyone is so quick to say someone is done so fast. Before DD got hurt he was on track for 1000yds or really close. Let him heal up and he will be back.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know why everyone is so quick to say someone is done so fast. Before DD got hurt he was on track for 1000yds or really close. Let him heal up and he will be back.

He would have been on pace for 800 yards.

No one is saying he is "done" but more of is it heading towards that. And why? Well the multiple injuries and the absence from games lately. 2 ankle surgeries in the offseason is pretty serious for a wr, especially a 35 year old one that has made a career running across the middle. I would love as much as anyone to get another 5 years out of him but I am wondering if that is in the teams best interest with young WRs waiting in the wings?

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
NOOO! this is so crazy, im laying in bed thinkin about todays game and i start thinking "dang we have such a good team, i wonder how much longer DD is gonna play..." So I come here to make a post and BAM! theres one riiiight here lol. We all love DD one of GB all time best receivers, a good guy. I think that he has maybe a couple seasons in em'. He comes up with big plays and is probably teaching the young recievers ALOT. I dont know about yall but i think come playoffs hes going to be valuable. Although he is going to eventually leave us, I think he has some more work to do before he goes. *SB cough cough SB*

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to rest him next week and the bye week and see what's what. Still too soon to put the cap on his career.
Yup, give him 2 weeks to get his quad straightened out and bring him back after the bye. We dont need him this week against Dallas.

Reaction score
He would have been on pace for 800 yards.

No one is saying he is "done" but more of is it heading towards that. And why? Well the multiple injuries and the absence from games lately. 2 ankle surgeries in the offseason is pretty serious for a wr, especially a 35 year old one that has made a career running across the middle. I would love as much as anyone to get another 5 years out of him but I am wondering if that is in the teams best interest with young WRs waiting in the wings?

It wasn't to ankle surgeries. He got his knee scoped

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Viqueen game was a streak ending game for DD, I think he had well over a 100 straight games played with a reception, he didn't record one on the Viqueens

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't to ankle surgeries. He got his knee scoped
More like 900. Im just sayin hes gonna be come back after the bye full speed. I dont see no slow down in him yet. I was actually thinking he looks great before the quad pull. He put some super sick moves on dbs this year there is one against miami that sticks out.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing is not being said. Defenses fear DD. They don't fear neither Jordy nor Jones right now.

Defenses allocate their best interior CB to Driver. And when he goes outside, they put their most physical corner on him.

Driver healthy, even at 35, is a much better receiver than both Jordy and Jones. He's much more consistant than Jones, and he's much more athletic and better catcher than Jordy.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rni7Wt3n8sw]YouTube - The Donald Driver Story[/ame]

Members online