Donald Driver

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all the positive things that have been said about DD and again I would only trade him if we got something of true value, otherwise he should stay right where he is.

I just know that next years schedule is much harder. We had 8 or 10 games with teams with a losing record, and half of those only won a few.

Adding a few rookies to this O-line will not bring this team to a 11-5 record again IMO. Way I look at it with the receiving threats we already have, you give A-rod more time in the pocket, we will be even more productive on offense.

I am just looking for ways to package a deal to trade for a left tackle.

DD is just one of the players that still has value. I like DD leadership, but I think going into next year A-rod has emerged as the true leader.

I see this with Dallas and T.O., DD does not by any means have the locker room problems but if you look at just talent, Dallas offense has remained the same if not gotten better with out a star like TO. IMO we are much deeper than Dallas with our receiving threats.

Other players I may include in a block buster deal for a stud left tackle would be Hawk, Lee, Clifton, Colledge to name few. One or two of those players and our 23 overall pick.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we even talking about this? Donald Driver deserves to be on this team. If in fact he is declining, why would you trade a low-rise player than a high-rise expendable one. Don't get me wrong but why not trade away Havner? We all know this guy has serious skills but will never move up to No. 1 on the depth chart unless Finley gets banged up real bad and Lee never sees the light of day. Plus there are tons of teams who I could see wanting this kid since he's on the rise. The packers already have WR's and Finley so I see Havner as a better option for a trade.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Havner is our Ace-in-the-hole in a way. Even though Havner has gotten a few TD's purely based off the fact that Defenders focused on our consistent offensive playmakers and that sometimes leaves Havner wide open.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Havner is our Ace-in-the-hole in a way. Even though Havner has gotten a few TD's purely based off the fact that Defenders focused on our consistent offensive playmakers and that sometimes leaves Havner wide open.

Which is exactly why teams would be extremely interested in getting him. I think we could actually get something worth great value for a TE if we trade him.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this will be my first post on this forum. I was googling Packers stuff, and I had been to this forum a couple times just to read what fellow fans were talking about. But today I stumbled upon this thread and it prompted me to join the forum.

I just wanted to respond to this thread and say that the thought of DD ever leaving GB is out of the question completely for me. I never want Donald to leave, he's fought so hard for us for years, and he loves it here. Donald will be a Packer for life. He's not done until we get him a ******** ring.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this will be my first post on this forum. I was googling Packers stuff, and I had been to this forum a couple times just to read what fellow fans were talking about. But today I stumbled upon this thread and it prompted me to join the forum.

I just wanted to respond to this thread and say that the thought of DD ever leaving GB is out of the question completely for me. I never want Donald to leave, he's fought so hard for us for years, and he loves it here. Donald will be a Packer for life. He's not done until we get him a ******** ring.

Welcome to the forum YFG! I comepletely agree with your opinion. Our offense won't be the same if Driver leaves.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is exactly why teams would be extremely interested in getting him. I think we could actually get something worth great value for a TE if we trade him.

If Havner get us a starting left tackle I am all for it, but again I am not for getting rid of anybody including DD if it does not produce a starting left tackle.

The whole point of this thread is not to sh** on DD, nor is it to debate his skills, I called him at least a 2nd receiver on most teams if not a 1st in my opening post.

Bottom line would you trade DD and Clifton/Lang along with our 23 pick for a stud left tackle (say the Browns starting left tackle)????

I think people will have a different opinion next year if we start out 1-3 leading the league in sacks while we play the O-line dance with two new rookies in the 4th rounds and Clifton/Tauscher trying to get over their high ankle sprains. Meanwhile it does not matter how good DD or Jennings are because A-rod is spending more time on his back. We got lucky with our schedule this year that while we were struggling with the O-line we were able to stay at .500 (4-4), tougher schedule next year will not be so forgiving.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Havner get us a starting left tackle I am all for it, but again I am not for getting rid of anybody including DD if it does not produce a starting left tackle.

The whole point of this thread is not to sh** on DD, nor is it to debate his skills, I called him at least a 2nd receiver on most teams if not a 1st in my opening post.

Bottom line would you trade DD and Clifton/Lang along with our 23 pick for a stud left tackle (say the Browns starting left tackle)????

I think people will have a different opinion next year if we start out 1-3 leading the league in sacks while we play the O-line dance with two new rookies in the 4th rounds and Clifton/Tauscher trying to get over their high ankle sprains. Meanwhile it does not matter how good DD or Jennings are because A-rod is spending more time on his back. We got lucky with our schedule this year that while we were struggling with the O-line we were able to stay at .500 (4-4), tougher schedule next year will not be so forgiving.

You're trading two starters + first round pick to get a LT. Don't get me wrong I like this plan but I doubt it's ever happening. Let's break it down, Driver is worth about a second rounder at most, Clifton/Lang are about 3rd rounders value. So a 1st round, second, and a third for let's say Joe thomas. Sounds more like a madden trade than something in the NFL.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're trading two starters + first round pick to get a LT. Don't get me wrong I like this plan but I doubt it's ever happening. Let's break it down, Driver is worth about a second rounder at most, Clifton/Lang are about 3rd rounders value. So a 1st round, second, and a third for let's say Joe thomas. Sounds more like a madden trade than something in the NFL.

I am not sure what it would take, I doubt DD is worth a second rounder, BF only was worth a 3rd. Clifton alone is worth a 4th or 5th. Not sure what Lang would bring. I am not set on any of the trade details, but just getting the idea of what it would take to get a team to trade.

The Jay Cutler trade was complex. I only added Lang in there because Clifton is a free agent, the combinations are endless.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

I would, but Cleveland would be retarded if they did. Why trade maybe the best LT in the game, a guy who's still very young, for old (Driver) and old and injury prone (Clifton)? I realize there's a first round pick in there, but I think you'd need at least 2 of those to get Thomas. Maybe more. Cleveland is rebuilding, and literally the only franchise player they have on their team is Joe Thomas. It'd be like trying to trade for Adrian Peterson or Peyton Manning. It just isn't possible.

I love Driver, but you're way overvaluing the people on the Packers.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, polish man (hope you don't take any offense)! You'll find quite a variety of people in here (I'm from Braz(s)il myself).

As I posted before, I agree with you, but I try to think from a management standpoint, rather than a fan. DD is invaluable to the locker room, much more than on the field. Where he's great at.

So, the chances of him leaving are pretty slim, unless he behaves in a very unusual manner, unlikely of his precedents.

The PowerOfCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds to me like a conclusion has been made. As a fan, no one would ever trade DD. Ever! But as a manager, many of us would. So long as it was profitable. I wouldn't have the heart to trade him though. I love the guy too much. But that's why I'm a fan, not the GM.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
DD and the word trade should never coincide with one another in a sentence.

The man belongs in GB and will remain in GB until he decides to leave the game. . .and even after that he'll still be alive in GB in the community.

A ****in' MEN! The idea of getting rid of Driver is asinine. The Green Bay Packers stand for much more than just winning.

And after he decides to hang it up, We need to petition him to return as a Wide Receiver coach or something. The fire in this guy would motivate anyone.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dilligaff what exactly is your proof that Donald Driver is slowing down with age because I'm not seeing it. Is it the dropped passes? If I remember correctly Jennings and Lee dropped more passes than Driver did. What about his lack of receptions? Some teams actually double team this guy, would you want A-Rod throwing it in double coverage? Or how about his fumble in the wild card game? That was a great play made by Dansby and Larry Fitzgerald had one too but you don't see Cardinals fans calling to get rid of Fitz.

Not to mention the way this guy makes defenders miss and mistackle him like few other. Sometimes I think Driver downs himself in Vasoline or something before a game. The multiple times throughout the season where you see Driver keep pushing his legs while there a 3 or 4 defenders hanging on him??? Still the most underrated receiver in the NFL.

Ok, so say we want to target the Browns Joe Thomas. Browns were 31st in overall Defense, so I'm sure they would want picks obviously and defense in return (young guys.. not Clifton). Wouldn't we have to franchise tag Clifton?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Ok, so say we want to target the Browns Joe Thomas. Browns were 31st in overall Defense, so I'm sure they would want picks obviously and defense in return (young guys.. not Clifton). Wouldn't we have to franchise tag Clifton?

I really don't think it's possible. They would probably want several young promising players to go with several draft picks. Why would a rebuilding team trade someone that's still very young and is their only good player? If he was aging I could see it, but right now it doesn't make sense.

cantstop12to85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think it's possible. They would probably want several young promising players to go with several draft picks. Why would a rebuilding team trade someone that's still very young and is their only good player? If he was aging I could see it, but right now it doesn't make sense.

i agree not likely the browns are gonna give up the only talent they have on the o line while their trying to rebuild especially now that holmgren is working the team behind the scenes.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns was just an example because that was a left tackle that I new. Pick a team and a good left tackle. I used DD as an example also, there are other players like Hawk, Kampman, Nelson, Jones, etc. with our 1st round pick that may persuade a team to give up a solid left tackle. I know we have to get Clifton under contract first to trade, thats why I threw in Lang in the mix.

Something has to be done on the O-line, rookies are not going improve this O-line. We got lucky this year with our schedule early while we pieced together a serviceable O-line and they stayed healthy for the remainder of the season.

We have a much harder schedule next year and I can see Clifton/Tauscher going down with high ankle sprains, while we play the O-line shuffle with rookies and 2nd year players, meanwhile A-rod is on the ground more than not and it does not matter how good DD is, because we can't get him the ball and Finnely becomes our #1 receiver.

We got lucky this year. We can not neglect the O-line anymore and rookies will not be the answer, maybe 2 or 3 years down the road. Are you willing to wait 2 or 3 more years.

If we don't get solid veteran help on the O-line, I can't see this team doing any better than 9-7 next year with that harder schedule.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something about DD being traded or not in a GB uniform is something I couldn't really see. I mean to be honest, DD is probably one of the only NFL receivers who literally puts himself out there to be laid out on any given play.

Lots of receivers drop balls after being hit. . .DD is hit by 2 guys on a flat out run and he flips upside down and most people have career ending injuries from it. . .DD jumps up does his shimmy shimmy and points towards the endzone and then puts his hands at his side and screams towards the sky. . .

Yeah, DD is in GB until the day he hangs up his jersey.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something about DD being traded or not in a GB uniform is something I couldn't really see. I mean to be honest, DD is probably one of the only NFL receivers who literally puts himself out there to be laid out on any given play.

Lots of receivers drop balls after being hit. . .DD is hit by 2 guys on a flat out run and he flips upside down and most people have career ending injuries from it. . .DD jumps up does his shimmy shimmy and points towards the endzone and then puts his hands at his side and screams towards the sky. . .

Yeah, DD is in GB until the day he hangs up his jersey.

I understand this, but you could say the same thing about Emit Smith, yet he finished with the Cardinals.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand this, but you could say the same thing about Emit Smith, yet he finished with the Cardinals.

Sorry I threw up in my mouth a little, comparing a Cowboy to a Packer isn't anything that should ever happen. No matter how good the player! =P

I hear ya though. . .haha

Members online

Latest posts