Donald Driver

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely love the guy, but he is hitting that age where you start to question does he still got it, especially at the level where this team is heading.

Every year he seems to push a little for more money and contracts, I don't blame him and he always cool about it.

As a star most of his career, will he accept eventually being a third receiver or even fourth and can we continue to pay him top dollar for such services? I say fourth due to Finnely, I would argue this year he was already a third receiver with Jennings/Finnely taking the number one/two roles

With that said he may have more value to the Packers in a trade package for an O-lineman or inside LB. When thinking about this you have to look at:
1. needs of the team
2. player contract and expense
3. player performance and value in the locker room
4. depth at the position

At the beginning of the year the thought of losing Driver IMO was out of the question, but with the emergency of Finnely and to a degree Havner, DD is no longer our main target when we line up.

I still think on most teams he is at least a #2 if not #1 guy. Just an interesting thought.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you honestly want to get rid of DD, I question, wether you have an emotional "relationsship"(wow, this sounds really strange) to the GB Packers or respect all that what a leader and a great human like DD has brought to to the table?
He is one of the most important guys in the locker room, uh, and btw. he just put up his 6th conscecutive 1000 yds recieving season and had some incredible grabs. You cannot focus on Jennings and Finley without being destroyed by DD. this problem for opposing teams will still be there next year, to say the least.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD and the word trade should never coincide with one another in a sentence.

The man belongs in GB and will remain in GB until he decides to leave the game. . .and even after that he'll still be alive in GB in the community.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD should be allowed to play as long as he wants to.

I know thats crazy talk, but the guy is all pro team oriented. I could see if having a positive influence on this team for a few more years.

It will be a sad day when he leaves.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you honestly want to get rid of DD, I question, wether you have an emotional "relationsship"(wow, this sounds really strange) to the GB Packers or respect all that what a leader and a great human like DD has brought to to the table?
He is one of the most important guys in the locker room, uh, and btw. he just put up his 6th conscecutive 1000 yds recieving season and had some incredible grabs. You cannot focus on Jennings and Finley without being destroyed by DD. this problem for opposing teams will still be there next year, to say the least.

So what you are saying that since he had 1000 yard season, guarantees he will also have one next year. I agree with you. I believe at this point TT has to make the decision if DD will retire a Packer, or like you said he has value to another team for a trade. You wait till next year and I believe the trade value is severely diminished. You have options now where I think you lose them by waiting.

I wish the NFL was only about talent and locker room presence, money and contracts play a larger role than we care to acknowledge. Just take the whole BF thing for example.

I would like nothing better for DD to be a Packer for life. But his contract affects Finnely, Collins, or any other player we pick up to make a run for the Super Bowl.

For the record I respect everything DD has done for the Packers and the NFL and hope he gets all the rewards he deserves.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to get rid of Driver, obviously didnt watch his brilliant performance this past year.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd trade DD for a functional guard or tackle at this point. Actually, a GOOD guard or tackle.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd trade DD for a functional guard or tackle at this point. Actually, a GOOD guard or tackle.

I am not saying we trade DD just to get him off the team for a 4th round unknown pick, he deserves and is worth more to the Packers than that.

I am talking about a package deal where DD gets the deal done for a veteran left tackle, a solid cover corner or a stud inside LB. A serious up grade at one of these positions puts the Packers in a better position to win next year (I hate saying this) without DD.

You can not replace DD on offense, but we can fill the void. Finnely and Jennings are bigger receiving threats than most teams have combined and Nelson/Jones are not too shabby either. Havner in a 2 tight end formations has shown his potential also. The Pack is in the best position to lose one of their receivers to upgrade another position than they have been in 10 years.

I guess I bring this up because I want a couple veterans added to this team in key positions, not waiting for draft picks to develop. Receiving threats are where we are deep at.

After watching the Cardinals play without their star receiver, made start to question how good of an offense Green Bay would be without DD.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dilligaff what exactly is your proof that Donald Driver is slowing down with age because I'm not seeing it. Is it the dropped passes? If I remember correctly Jennings and Lee dropped more passes than Driver did. What about his lack of receptions? Some teams actually double team this guy, would you want A-Rod throwing it in double coverage? Or how about his fumble in the wild card game? That was a great play made by Dansby and Larry Fitzgerald had one too but you don't see Cardinals fans calling to get rid of Fitz.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dilligaff what exactly is your proof that Donald Driver is slowing down with age because I'm not seeing it. Is it the dropped passes? If I remember correctly Jennings and Lee dropped more passes than Driver did. What about his lack of receptions? Some teams actually double team this guy, would you want A-Rod throwing it in double coverage? Or how about his fumble in the wild card game? That was a great play made by Dansby and Larry Fitzgerald had one too but you don't see Cardinals fans calling to get rid of Fitz.

You are putting words into my mouth, I am not saying anything about a sever diminishing skills other than the fact of his age which will be questioned every year until we see the skills diminish, though this year he has had more drops than usual. At the bottom of my original post I stated that he is on most tother eams at least a 2nd reciever, if not a #1.

You and I are in agreement. DD has good value to the Packers and maybe to another team in a trade. I am by no means saying we need to get rid of DD at any cost, only if we can use him to up grade one of our weakest positions on the O-line, stud CB/returnman, or a dynamic inside LB.

Only trade him if we get a serious up grade at one of those positions in return.

What if Cleveland gave up their starting left tackle for DD and our first round draft pick this year? I might be crazy but I might throw in Hawk in there as well.

Trade off, I agree with you, DD has outstanding stats this year and will next year. But if you give A-rod on average half to a full second longer to throw the ball we will see an increase in production from our passing game without DD in the line up. I believe the upgrade at tackle will more than compensate for the loss of DD's 1000 yards with our remaining receiving threats, Finnely, Jennings,Neson,Jones,Havner.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Cleveland gave up their starting left tackle for DD and our first round draft pick this year? I might be crazy but I might throw in Hawk in there as well.

It would have to take a Herschel Walker type deal to get Joe Thomas IMO.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not saying we trade DD just to get him off the team for a 4th round unknown pick, he deserves and is worth more to the Packers than that.

I am talking about a package deal where DD gets the deal done for a veteran left tackle, a solid cover corner or a stud inside LB. A serious up grade at one of these positions puts the Packers in a better position to win next year (I hate saying this) without DD.

You can not replace DD on offense, but we can fill the void. Finnely and Jennings are bigger receiving threats than most teams have combined and Nelson/Jones are not too shabby either. Havner in a 2 tight end formations has shown his potential also. The Pack is in the best position to lose one of their receivers to upgrade another position than they have been in 10 years.

I guess I bring this up because I want a couple veterans added to this team in key positions, not waiting for draft picks to develop. Receiving threats are where we are deep at.

After watching the Cardinals play without their star receiver, made start to question how good of an offense Green Bay would be without DD.

I was really trying to be funny.

Double D is too old for a blockbuster trade. Just because we don't need him doesn't mean somebody else does, or even wants him. It's just like Kampmann - we don't need him, but who else wants him?

shawnwilliams

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He made some amazing catches, ran some great routes. Broke some tackles. Good leader, great guy. Unfortunately you can't play forever at wide receiver in the NFL, but he is more valuable with the Packers than anywhere else, or against us.

I also think our receivers get better and learn from DD - which is invaluable.

I'm for trading Donald Lee, but Donald Driver - no way.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have to take a Herschel Walker type deal to get Joe Thomas IMO.

No kidding - not to mention a guy like Joe Thomas has more long-term value to a franchise than All Day because LT's aren't just productive until their late twenties, they're golden for a long time.

I'd really prefer TT just do his ****en homework and draft a decent O-lineman - one that doesn't need three years to develop and one that is better than what we've currently got.

Unfortunately, TT is not an O-line kinda guy. I supposed he'll blow more first round picks on DT's. That seems to get his rocks off.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think DD put some good numbers for a guy who's double covered a lot. Both he and Jennings get the double coverage and still show up big. Not always at the same time, but usually one or the other. I really think this is the best Packer receiver combination since James Lofton and John Jefferson. It is very hard to defend against, especially with Finley. I would also say that Driver is one of the best yards-after-the-catch wide-outs. He is incredible at that.

I also understand that pro football is more business than it ever was. I don't know if we've seen the end the time when a Packer like DD can just "play as long as he wants". The whole Favre thing showed that. Every roster spot is always up for grabs, and at some point there will be a move toward a younger guy. Still, I'd like to see Driver finish his career here because he is exactly the guy you want to see around the team when he is done playing as well as now.

I know its tempting to say he could bring us a quality LT or DB in a trade, but before we go there should try to swing a deal using guys like Hawk or Donald Lee, who I think is expendable with the emergence of Finley. Those guys will also benefit some other team and could be packaged up with a draft choice.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only reason to trade donald driver would be to get brandon marshall which will never happen... donald was a sleeper this year and for the most part did his share if not more! i dont think jennings showed up like he shouldve this season.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding - not to mention a guy like Joe Thomas has more long-term value to a franchise than All Day because LT's aren't just productive until their late twenties, they're golden for a long time.

I'd really prefer TT just do his ****en homework and draft a decent O-lineman - one that doesn't need three years to develop and one that is better than what we've currently got.

Unfortunately, TT is not an O-line kinda guy. I supposed he'll blow more first round picks on DT's. That seems to get his rocks off.

haus you confuse me are you a packer fan or not? wtf!

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Driver. He had a good season. He put up good yardage, caught 6 TD passes, and made some important catches also. This year was his most productive out of his last 3, and his average yard per catch was the 2nd highest he's ever had (15.2).

So no, I wouldn't trade him. I still think he has a lot to offer this organisation, both on the field, and mentoring off it

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD and the word trade should never coincide with one another in a sentence.

The man belongs in GB and will remain in GB until he decides to leave the game. . .and even after that he'll still be alive in GB in the community.
Exactly.
And as others have pointed out, he had another good record breaking season.

And why all this talk about getting better players? We saw the Pack improve on D and O. And compare this season to last.
I don't think Driver should be traded because I think the D will improve with the players we got.
Though I do agree that getting new players wouldn't hurt but to trade Driver for that isn't needed

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver is not slowing down.

But he developed a disturbing tendency of fumbling the ball. Very much correctable.

Driver, if I'm not mistaken, has already taken a pay cut before, so even if he's not deserving of a #1 money, he's still the league's best #2.

Trading him is great from a roster standpoint, but terrible from a locker room standpoint, which is much more critical, and TT and MM have demonstraded over the years their tendency of protecting the locker room in favor of adding roster depth.

So unless Driver wants a pay raise, which I highly doubt, he'll retire a GBP.

With the way he takes care of himself, by the time he retires, he'll still be one great slot receiver...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Driver should be traded because I think the D will improve with the players we got.

There will be a slight problem for 2010: almost assuredly a more difficult schedule. This kinda follows the patterns of TT's teams - solid one year, shaky the next and it's all due to strength of schedule.

As a result, TT needs to improve the talent level of this team so that it can run a consistent course of being solid. The linebackers need changes, need a better safety and nickel corners and we need better guard play and insurance policies at tackle in case the stalwarts cannot go another season.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm going to be torched for saying this, but, while I would keep Driver I wouldn't start him. Jordy Nelson is the future at that position and at some point the future needs to get some serious playing time. Imagine how effective Driver could be in the slot. We play enough 3 receiver to keep him happy, I would think, and I think he would thrive as a slot receiver.

Regarding "emotional connections" or whatever that one guy said, I have an emotional connection to winning. I don't really care what we do or who we trade to make our team better.

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this were a Madden franchise I would absolutely trade him to upgrade another position. But in the real world, I agree with PackersRS. His leadership is crucial to a team made up mostly of kids. Someone has to run that daycare, and McCarthy doesn't have the stones to do it by himself.

The fumbling is certainly starting to bother me though

Members online

Latest posts