Does Bonamego Deserve to Stay?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I dont really think that he does. He has done nothing that I have seen to improve out special teams. I have seen him do some pretty crazy things out there that I do not agree with. But if we got rid of him does anyone out there know who else is available? I am sure there must be someone.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think that our special teams personnel is poor. We have no one that is dependable for returning kicks or punts. If we were to switch then we should get the Chiefs guy. I think he's got some good blocking schemes. That's what helped Dante Hall.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good question.

he used to be crazy w/ their kickoff formations, but has since quieted down. They're sufficient, but far from spectacular, which is a sign of personell shortcomings...I guess keep him.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though our special teams are right around average in most categories, Longwell is currently 24th in the league in FG percentage and Sander is 28th in gross average & 27th in net average per punt.

If average to below average ST performance is acceptible to the Packers and doesn't hurt their chances of winning games, I say keep Bonamego. Otherwise, I can't see how someone else could do much worse (except Novak maybe).

GBnative

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer kickers are never going to lead the league in those kind os statistics. Look at Bidwell, he's moved to Tampa and shot up the statistics charts. Do you really think his leg magically got stronger since he moved south? The only fair way to evaluate Packer kickers is to compare them to their counterparts for each oppenent on a game-by=game basis. IN other worsd, compare them to a kicker who's kicking under the same conditions. If you would do that, you would see that Sander has really only been out kicked by his counterpart in one game this year. I'mnot saying Sander is doing a great job, but definitely better than the statistics indicate.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GBnative. Excellent point. When I watch a game, I'm always comparing the two punters and kickers. Most of the time when one of them is kicking the ball great, his opponent is also kicking better than average. Of course, you have to keep wind direction in mind when making these comparisons.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its a no-brainer that our offense and defense are not...capable of winning games by themselves. i dont think enough is being done with this special teams to...create game changing plays, no attempts at big returns, or anyone who can hold onto the ball for that matter, never try to block punts, etc...and big returns happen more than they should

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football Outsiders does an adjusted ST's ranking that takes into account factors like indoor/outdoor stadiums, weather, altitude, etc. According to those rankings the Packers are currently last in the league in overall ST's play after being 13th and 12th the last two years respectively.

So it's true that kickers & punters who regularly kick outdoors in colder weather will probably average less distance than their warm weather/indoor competitors. But when that's factored in equally across the league, the Packers currently have the worst STs in the NFL, and that wouldn't change even if they were playing in Tampa Bay.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No-Time for Bonamego to move on. ST have not won a game for us in a long time.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like every week some other teams' special teams are getting them a huge blocked kick, or runback. I don't really remember the last time Green Bay got either.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Bears game the Packers kick teams are:

Returns
16th in punt return average with zero TD's.
Last in kick return average with zero TD's.

Punting
30th in gross punting yardage,
27th in net punting yardage,
next to last inside 20.

Kick offs
19th in KO yardage,
18th in yards allowed.
21st in touchbacks.

Field Goals
Last in FG's attempted and made.
25th in percentage made.
2 for 2 less than 30 yds.
28th % made 30-39 yds.
23rd % made 40-49 yds.
But over 50 yards 2nd best in NFL.
One third of the Packer Field goals are over 50 yards!

The numbers are not that encouraging.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THere are several Assts. that need to go. Bonomego is definitely one of them. Our STs must be, at least, average. Novak, Rossley, and the WRs coach must go. The fish rots from the head... so does a team. It's not all MS. He needs better help in teaching and training. But if they let Bates get away, they ought to be hung.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with the special teams is personnel. Under Mike Sherman the GM, the team has not had good depth. I think Thompson tried to address that problem this year (Brady Poppinga certainly has helped) but injuries have messed up the continuity and Longwell is having an off year, which probably has nothing to do with coaching.

I'm really beyond worrying about which assistant coaches should stay and which ones should not. The head coach sets the tone for the team.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
THere are several Assts. that need to go. Bonomego is definitely one of them. Our STs must be, at least, average. Novak, Rossley, and the WRs coach must go. The fish rots from the head... so does a team. It's not all MS. He needs better help in teaching and training. But if they let Bates get away, they ought to be hung.

Here... RG - lemme buy you a :packbeer:

Members online

Latest posts