Question for the historians

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I was just wondering something going back to 1981. My first Packers game I ever saw any part of was November 22, 1981. Long story short, I was asked a question in a Facebook Group that I thought the answer was Lynn ****ey. Turns it it was not, as ****ey was not active on this day. Any idea why? Also did Campbell start over Whitehurst that day? Can't find the game on youtube, all I can find is stats that pretty much show he didn't play and that Campbell out played Whitehurst but both played.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I was just wondering something going back to 1981. My first Packers game I ever saw any part of was November 22, 1981. Long story short, I was asked a question in a Facebook Group that I thought the answer was Lynn ****ey. Turns it it was not, as ****ey was not active on this day. Any idea why? Also did Campbell start over Whitehurst that day? Can't find the game on youtube, all I can find is stats that pretty much show he didn't play and that Campbell out played Whitehurst but both played.

I know ****ey missed three games in 81' after being speared in the back...he had back issues amongst other things for a lot of the second half of his career.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Campbell is not credited with any starts in 1981. Campbell threw four picks that day. doubt he outplayed Whitehurst.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198111220tam.htm#all_player_offense

ETA, looks like Whitehurst went out with injury some time in the late first / early second qtr. Campbell threw a pick six to open scoring in the second and Whitehurst started but had no picks. I haven't found the play-by-play yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Campbell is not credited with any starts in 1981. Campbell threw four picks that day. doubt he outplayed Whitehurst.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198111220tam.htm#all_player_offense

ETA, looks like Whitehurst went out with injury some time in the late first / early second qtr. Campbell threw a pick six to open scoring in the second and Whitehurst started but had no picks. I haven't found the play-by-play yet.
I meant completions and yardage. I didn't see stats for picks where I saw stats. Thanks for the help Poppa San

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the four volumes of the Packers history are broken down as such:

Vol. 1 - 1919 until 1958 (the Lambeau era, followed by the dysfunctional years)
Vol. 2 - 1959 until 1968 (the Glory Years)
Vol. 3 - 1969 until 1991 (the Bengston, Devine, Starr, Gregg, and Infante years)
Vol. 4 - 1992 until 2021?? (the return to greatness)

Volume 3 is by far the hardest to read. You'll throw up in your mouth over and over again.

Members online

Latest posts