Divisional round: Seattle at Green Bay - payback time

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, I will look into him! And thank you for the welcome! :)

I am also curious about Seattle's defense, it's been wildly inconsistent this year.

And our offense has been inconsistent. Our OL has been great but Rodgers hasn't been as accurate at times as he has been in the past. Our running game is more of a strength now.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cousins gets a bad rap, even among Viking fans. He gets rattled when he's constantly being swarmed by the rushers, but so does AR. I'd say Cousins is stellar when the O line is performing well.

I have a second home in MSP, so I know :)

I actually thought it was a good signing at the time for the Vikings, but last year he proved he can't do it himself...which is surprising considering he has Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Rudolph, etc...

Kirk has proven that if he doesn't have a good running game to support him, his numbers/production will drop off.

Even when he had his tear/hot streak this year, a lot of those were off play action to Cook and throwing to Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, etc

But if i'm being 100% honest, I would guess that MOST NFL quarterbacks would be pretty damn good throwing INSIDE a dome with all those weapons too you know?

Case Keenum was 3500yds + 22td/7int 98 rating with those guys...and he's a JOURNEYMAN.

So I just don't think Kirk has that "it" factor

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hope you are all right about Lynch. I thought he showed pretty good running ability on the one play where he had somewhere to run. Still gotta tackle him.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
As far as Clowney is concerned I believe the officials will not let any repeat of that happening again, and I’m sure Rodgers will not make that mistake of not sliding, receivers have to get open, and 3rd downs have to be converted, 2 weeks to prepare no excuses, make your adjustments quickly MLF...# SB bound, almost forgot please tackle..

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a comment on Breeze. Don't know where else to put it. That fumble of his with about 3.5 minutes left was due to him NOT trying to take a sack. If he would have taken the sack; he would not have fumbled the ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers that did not practice on their extra practice day:

WR Allen Lazard FB Danny Vitale G Elgton Jenkins TE Robert Tonyan --> Sounds like Jenkins is sick, not injured. Lazard is the name to watch closely.

Three OL returned: Linsley (back) Bulaga (concussion) Bakhtiari (illness)
Sounds like a bug is working its way through the locker room. A different player every day is out with illness.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Since 2013, on average 1 team per year that played wild card weekend gets to the conference championship game. IOW, home teams are 3-1 on division weekend the past five years - on average.

Roland Deschain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll post my thoughts on this game another time, but honestly considering the circumstances and whatnot I think this quote fits considering who we play and all.

"The North Remembers"

They certainly do. Seattle is further north than Green Bay is. :)

I thought it was Clowney aiming at Wentz's head when he was already down. Helmet to helmet and after the play. Can't imagine why it was not called.
It wasn't called because it was incidental contact. Wentz had a ton of forward momentum and he was a runner, not a QB, on that play; he didn't give himself up. The ground is what did all the damage.

I'm not even worried about Seattle.

Wilson is amazing, but he's going to be under pressure all game long. They don't have a run game without Carson and Penny.

Jaire on Lockett, King on Metcalf, and we roll.

Not even worried? Wilson is a QB you can never count out. Ever. Also, good luck with King on Metcalf...we'll see how that turns out.

Put house on DK because DK doesnt have a huge route tree, double crockett with jaire and a saftery over the top. Make russel go to a 3 read by that time those smith brothas should have the sack lol.

"Doesn't have a huge route tree" is just a myth that people assumed because he was told to run just basic routes in college. He has already shown a much wider breadth of route running in Seattle this year than he ever did in college, and he has gotten to be basically impossible to defend against lately. Also, for all the draft pundits who ragged on him for his 3-cone drill time at the combine...if you actually WATCH the video, you'll see that he slips twice while running it. I'm glad he did, we wouldn't have drafted the guy thus far turning out to be the best WR in the 2019 draft if he hadn't slipped, lol.

Clowney has a history of being violent. He would have put a lot of players in the hospital like a **** Butkus back in the day. He got flagged in that game earlier against the 9ers on MNF. I hated to see that hit. As much as I wanted to see our D get to Wentz back in September that type of football is unacceptable.

You don't need to make stuff up. Clowney does NOT have a history of being violent. Prove it. This year, for example, he has nine penalties...eight of them pre-snap. https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2019

Anyhoo...here's to hoping for an injury-free game on both sides of the ball, and GO HAWKS!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't care if Clowney has no hx of hurting QBs Roland. Only have to do it once. And he did it. You have zero objectivity on that play. imho Actually I don't worry about Clowney all that much. I guess he is a little banged up and he never really lived up to the expectations from college. But your right about Wilson. The ex Badger gets tougher as the game gets tougher. Martinez was meant to be a spy. imo

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dadachum, Go back to Gilead with that analysis. Wentz was already very obviously going down and Clowney lined him up and piled his head and shoulders right into Wentz's head that was 6 inches off the ground as his legs and knees were already down. It was as dirty as you get.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't called because it was incidental contact. Wentz had a ton of forward momentum and he was a runner, not a QB, on that play; he didn't give himself up. The ground is what did all the damage.

I agree Wentz's decision triggered this happening...and I also agree Clowney is not a dirty player...but you are simply wrong that it was mere incidental contact. Nope, not once watching that play live, on replay during the game, on youtube after the game...even listening to the play with my eyes closed...okay that's a stretch...but not once did I think it was a clean intent purely incidental hit. Nope.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hope you are all right about Lynch. I thought he showed pretty good running ability on the one play where he had somewhere to run. Still gotta tackle him.

I'm not so worried about backs who look good when they have somewhere to run. If you give them somewhere to run pretty much any back can screw you. I get worried about backs who can look good when they have nowhere to run but they still do. It's up to the Packers D to give him nowhere to run and then we shall see what he can do.

TylerD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And our offense has been inconsistent. Our OL has been great but Rodgers hasn't been as accurate at times as he has been in the past. Our running game is more of a strength now.
Ya I saw Rodgers was having a bit of a down year. Couldn’t imagine if he wasn’t. Packers would be undefeated. I watched him in the game against Minnesota and he looked pretty sharp! I will never feel good about playing that man.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me the most worrisome stat for this match is Wilson's big play ability and our vulnerability to the same. He's not the one to keep moving chains and often tries 20+ yard plays. Though we have good defence, we do let them on more often than not.

Dayooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A week off means the Pack comes out and plays uninspired football. I hope they win but the gut says they will be outside looking in by bedtime sunday.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad he did, we wouldn't have drafted the guy thus far turning out to be the best WR in the 2019 draft if he hadn't slipped, lol.

When did they draft AJ Brown? Don't get me wrong, Metcalf is a solid #2 on that team, but AJ Brown has looked to be an elite talent since they switched to Tanehill. He doesn't get the benefit of playing against #2 CB matchups and has scorched teams without elite CB talent.

TylerD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me the most worrisome stat for this match is Wilson's big play ability and our vulnerability to the same. He's not the one to keep moving chains and often tries 20+ yard plays. Though we have good defence, we do let them on more often than not.
Seahawks have scored 17 or less in 4 of their last 6 games. They hit the big plays, but it always seems to come late in games for some reason. As long as Green Bay puts up 20 plus it will be very close.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks have scored 17 or less in 4 of their last 6 games. They hit the big plays, but it always seems to come late in games for some reason. As long as Green Bay puts up 20 plus it will be very close.

if our d shows up there will be a lot of unhappy seahawks fans; if our o shows up and not our d, then the seahawks might be able to relax later in the game because of our damn d. anyway...as i have said this year not going to invest too much emotions into the season. i'm in my late 40s and already taking two hypertension pills, not going to take 3.

TylerD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if our d shows up there will be a lot of unhappy seahawks fans; if our o shows up and not our d, then the seahawks might be able to relax later in the game because of our damn d. anyway...as i have said this year not going to invest too much emotions into the season. i'm in my late 40s and already taking two hypertension pills, not going to take 3.
lol, I hear you!! I was lucky enough to see Seattle go to three super Bowls and win one. I would love for Seattle to go again this year but if they don’t I won’t get too upset like some fans. It’s just not worth it

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you forget his college days?
They certainly do. Seattle is further north than Green Bay is. :)

Not even worried? Wilson is a QB you can never count out. Ever. Also, good luck with King on Metcalf...we'll see how that turns out.

"Doesn't have a huge route tree" is just a myth that people assumed because he was told to run just basic routes in college. He has already shown a much wider breadth of route running in Seattle this year than he ever did in college, and he has gotten to be basically impossible to defend against lately. Also, for all the draft pundits who ragged on him for his 3-cone drill time at the combine...if you actually WATCH the video, you'll see that he slips twice while running it. I'm glad he did, we wouldn't have drafted the guy thus far turning out to be the best WR in the 2019 draft if he hadn't slipped, lol.

You don't need to make stuff up. Clowney does NOT have a history of being violent. Prove it. This year, for example, he has nine penalties...eight of them pre-snap. https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2019

Anyhoo...here's to hoping for an injury-free game on both sides of the ball, and GO HAWKS!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
A week off means the Pack comes out and plays uninspired football. I hope they win but the gut says they will be outside looking in by bedtime sunday.
Will you be irate or I told you so mode if this happens? Have they exceeded your expectations for the year? Many of the posters will be back, if the season ends before hoisting the Lombardi, slamming the team for falling short even after these same posters predicted 9 of fewer wins before the season. Which are you?

Roland Deschain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dadachum, Go back to Gilead with that analysis. Wentz was already very obviously going down and Clowney lined him up and piled his head and shoulders right into Wentz's head that was 6 inches off the ground as his legs and knees were already down. It was as dirty as you get.

Haha, nice references. Look at Wentz at the moment Clowney starts the dive, he's far from down, though starting to head that way. In real time actual play on the field, give me a break, it was not some obvious dirty hit by Clowney. With the huge forward momentum Wentz's head had at the moment of impact, the hit from Clowney did nothing. The ground did the damage, and it's pretty obvious. I get that you want to hate on Seahawks players, it's only natural, but Wentz was a runner; he didn't give himself up. It wasn't flagged for a reason.

I agree Wentz's decision triggered this happening...and I also agree Clowney is not a dirty player...but you are simply wrong that it was mere incidental contact. Nope, not once watching that play live, on replay during the game, on youtube after the game...even listening to the play with my eyes closed...okay that's a stretch...but not once did I think it was a clean intent purely incidental hit. Nope.

It looks clear that it was more incidental than intentional. It doesn't have to be the most Disney princess innocent hit in the world to meet the criteria of being "incidental"; just more so that than intentional.

When did they draft AJ Brown? Don't get me wrong, Metcalf is a solid #2 on that team, but AJ Brown has looked to be an elite talent since they switched to Tanehill. He doesn't get the benefit of playing against #2 CB matchups and has scorched teams without elite CB talent.

Their season stats are very similar. Tennessee is more of a passing team than Seattle is. (Almost every team is, for that matter.) Early days yet obviously, but Metcalf is rapidly becoming much more than a solid #2 over the past 5-6 games. He had some very good games while Lockett was out injured, by the way - drawing #1 coverage.

Did you forget his college days?

Ole Miss not using him very effectively matters...how? He's been great in his rookie year for us and is getting better practically every week the past 5-6 weeks. He has already shown far more route tree capabilities this year with us than he did in his entire college career.

If what a player did in college meant anything whatsoever, there'd be no first-round draft busts. Your question is meaningless, IMO.

Members online

Latest posts