Disagreement in organization about Will Fuller

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostly agree but if I were GM I’d tell my regional scout to give me a very thorough rundown on Iowa’s draft eligibles. I think Ferentz instills a general toughness, physicality and persistence to the echo of the whistle that exceeds that of his peers.
This is just intuition, but I think Iowa is another school that produces a fair share of O linemen for the NFL. It must be a midwest, corn-fed thing. Who knows? I do like Gary's advice on scout the player, not the school. If things line up, fine. There are some very good players who aren't at Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Georgia and on.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced Gutekunst had complete control over this year's draft. While MLF's input might be valuable to some degree Ball and Murphy better not have any influence on the team's draft board.

I hope not because he definitely wet the bed. After Love, I think MLF clearly wanted Dillon and Deguara, and then Gute was allowed to take stabs at everything else in the 5th - 7th. The problem is that there wasn't much left to pick over, and the gems that were available, Gute clearly missed/passed on for some strange reason.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope not because he definitely wet the bed. After Love, I think MLF clearly wanted Dillon and Deguara, and then Gute was allowed to take stabs at everything else in the 5th - 7th. The problem is that there wasn't much left to pick over, and the gems that were available, Gute clearly missed/passed on for some strange reason.
Anyway you look at it, it was a pretty lousy draft. Or in a best case scenario, confusing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don’t think you can say it was good or bad for a couple years, at least.
That's true. I was just mystified by some of the picks, given where the team finished last year and where the needs are. That said, I'll take 6-2 all day and an O that has yet to play its best football.
I really don’t think you can say it was good or bad for a couple years, at least.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true. I was just mystified by some of the picks, given where the team finished last year and where the needs are. That said, I'll take 6-2 all day and an O that has yet to play its best football.

6-2 yes, but not because of any of the picks from this draft class made major contributions.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyway you look at it, it was a pretty lousy draft. Or in a best case scenario, confusing.

I'm going to wait on giving a final grade to this past draft for at least 2 years, but if you go back to Gute's first draft (2018), things aren't looking all that promising. Yup, he got a really solid CB in Jaire, but beyond that, pffffft. 2019 is one we have to wait another year on, but so far the only stellar player from that one is Jenkins. Savage had a solid rookie season, but has been kind of a disappointment this year. Gary still seems like a work in progress.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're purely speculating on what happened in this year's draft. I find it hard to believe anyone else than Gutekunst was calling the shots.

True, but it's a fact this year's rookie class hardly helps the current team.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to wait on giving a final grade to this past draft for at least 2 years,

Yes, but.

Taking a two year evaluation makes sense if the objective is building a roster. If you want to win this year, or if you want to balance near and longer term impact, then we can legitimately critique the picks and FAs on more immediate value.

This year for GB, this immediate return is zero. Picks 1 and 2 don't get on the field, the two FAs are invisible, and there was no mid-season move.

So is was 100% build for next year by design. So we'll know about this draft in 2023. OK.

Meanwhile, the hall-of-fame QB works with what he has, and "GB is this close" translates into "this close is not going do it".

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You're purely speculating on what happened in this year's draft. I find it hard to believe anyone else than Gutekunst was calling the shots.
Totally agree. I’d be absolutely shocked if it was true that LaFleur was making any draft picks at any time.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Totally agree. I’d be absolutely shocked if it was true that LaFleur was making any draft picks at any time.

Did the two of you forget what the title of this thread was? That possibility is ABSOLUTELY in play. Gute doesn't even have enough balls to pull off his own trades, so him not being able to select a Draft Class in its entirety is too farfetched? Come on....

Gute was willing to trade a 2nd for Fuller and the other bozos weren't. He wanted to because he had to waste a 2nd on a high mileage RB in the Draft this year who definitely IS NOT Derrick Henry.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the two of you forget what the title of this thread was? That possibility is ABSOLUTELY in play. Gute doesn't even have enough balls to pull off his own trades, so him not being able to select a Draft Class in its entirety is too farfetched? Come on....

Gute was willing to trade a 2nd for Fuller and the other bozos weren't. He wanted to because he had to waste a 2nd on a high mileage RB in the Draft this year who definitely IS NOT Derrick Henry.

And after the trade deadline, LaFleur and Gute both said there was no disagreement.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but that doesn’t make them facts. You have no idea what Gute was willing or not willing to do. It seems incredibly unlikely that LaFleur can tell him what or what not to do though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And after the trade deadline, LaFleur and Gute both said there was no disagreement.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but that doesn’t make them facts. You have no idea what Gute was willing or not willing to do. It seems incredibly unlikely that LaFleur can tell him what or what not to do though.

So we're arguing about click-bait then? It seems like they're just trying to do damage control. It's easier after the fact to say, "oh nothing's wrong", when their actions so far have illustrated that something clearly IS wrong, and I'm not even completely referring to the product on the field.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So we're arguing about click-bait then? It seems like they're just trying to do damage control. It's easier after the fact to say, "oh nothing's wrong", when their actions so far have illustrated that something clearly IS wrong, and I'm not even completely referring to the product on the field.

"Don't believe THAT unprovable theory about what happened-- that's nuts! Believe MY unprovable theory about what happened. It's CLEARLY the only logical explanation."

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get your point but again, ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS. The Packers Front Office has had a trend of either doing nothing, or not doing enough to answer personnel issues combined with the whole "we're smarter than everyone else in the room" and ignoring the clear obvious choice to take care of issues with the roster. They are then pigeonholed into having to either overreact or do damage control to cover their gaffes.

If Gute and MLF didn't have a disagreement with the trade, then who did? Ball or Murphy? I don't think anyone for a moment thinks it's Ball, and Gute wouldn't hang his boss out to dry publicly; but by saying that the GM and HC are getting along fine isn't necessarily an alibi either.

There is some dysfunction and you're free to put it where you think it fits best. But if there's something that should be unquestionably clear, is that the General Manager of the Green Bay Packers is not free to make roster changes as he sees fit.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope they all had reservations about a 2nd rounder for fuller.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I get your point but again, ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS. The Packers Front Office has had a trend of either doing nothing, or not doing enough to answer personnel issues combined with the whole "we're smarter than everyone else in the room" and ignoring the clear obvious choice to take care of issues with the roster. They are then pigeonholed into having to either overreact or do damage control to cover their gaffes.

If Gute and MLF didn't have a disagreement with the trade, then who did? Ball or Murphy? I don't think anyone for a moment thinks it's Ball, and Gute wouldn't hang his boss out to dry publicly; but by saying that the GM and HC are getting along fine isn't necessarily an alibi either.

There is some dysfunction and you're free to put it where you think it fits best. But if there's something that should be unquestionably clear, is that the General Manager of the Green Bay Packers is not free to make roster changes as he sees fit.

Maybe there is and maybe there isn't. It could be that there's a rift forming that's going to blow up at some point, or it could be that there was just a disagreement. I'm not here to sell sunshine and rainbows. We just don't know.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why do you think that a possible difference of opinion between somebody in the Packers’ front office rises to the level of disfunction? ... I would be more concerned if they always agreed on everything.

D

Deleted member 6794

Their actions haven't proven that there's a huge disagreement hapoening within the front office by any means.

While I definitely didn't like several of the decisions made this offseason it's entirely possible Murphy, Gutekunst and MLF are all on the same page.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
While I definitely didn't like several of the decisions made this offseason it's entirely possible Murphy, Gutekunst and MLF are all on the same page.

...of this book. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6-2 yes, but not because of any of the picks from this draft class made major contributions.
Very sad and very true. Gluten had a chance to pick an impact player in round 1, my personal favorite was Patrick Queen, but he traded up for a 3rd string QB. It does take years to properly address a draft class. Early returns from Gluten aren't very promising.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Fuller on the roster, does Bakh have his extension? Is there enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to go around?
If I understand his contract structure, it's heavily loaded to the back end as far as cap hit. Ball is probably doing that so they can resign Jones, Linsley, and maybe King, but that's a tall order. So limited ability in FA, meaning he's gonna need a D-heavy draft next year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to wait on giving a final grade to this past draft for at least 2 years, but if you go back to Gute's first draft (2018), things aren't looking all that promising. Yup, he got a really solid CB in Jaire, but beyond that, pffffft. 2019 is one we have to wait another year on, but so far the only stellar player from that one is Jenkins. Savage had a solid rookie season, but has been kind of a disappointment this year. Gary still seems like a work in progress.
Agreed, it takes years to evaluate a draft. Just not looking real good for now.

Members online

Latest posts