Did GB start the new NFL

OP
OP
C

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Correct me if I'm wrong but go back maybe a decade or longer and QBs played under center most of the snaps and everyone had a fullback. Now every QB seems to run shotgun on most plays.

As a fan, I believe it was 2007 when GB went shotgun, 5 wide a ton and beat most teams. More of less trying to find out when did the NFL change? Did teams like the 2007 Packers pave the way or is it more about rule changes, or college football.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's understandable, but why not pull it out every now and then?

Lol head scratchers like that as well as some ridiculous challenges were among the many mysteries of MM we were always trying to figure out. But ... I'd say this lost offense and identity among other things are why he is no longer coaching here.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't have the complete answer to that, I'm thinking MM was hoping to turn the offense into more ball control type as opposed to explosion plays. Hence Rodgers getting more upset with him as time went on.

I'm guessing there was more unhappiness going on in that locker room with MM than just the play calling. From all what I can tell from here Rodgers is much happier and the team seems happier too (winning can cure a lot of ills of course). Perhaps things got stale and players began to tune MM out. I suppose that can happen in sports.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Correct me if I'm wrong but go back maybe a decade or longer and QBs played under center most of the snaps and everyone had a fullback. Now every QB seems to run shotgun on most plays.

As a fan, I believe it was 2007 when GB went shotgun, 5 wide a ton and beat most teams. More of less trying to find out when did the NFL change? Did teams like the 2007 Packers pave the way or is it more about rule changes, or college football.

Perhaps OL aren't as good as they once were so going into the shotgun gives QBs more time to scan the field?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing there was more unhappiness going on in that locker room with MM than just the play calling. From all what I can tell from here Rodgers is much happier and the team seems happier too (winning can cure a lot of ills of course). Perhaps things got stale and players began to tune MM out. I suppose that can happen in sports.

Maybe, but man, I'd definitely have to say he badly ruined this offense in his last few years here. Games like today used to be seen on a regular in his hay day here, and then boom ... these explosion plays like what Kumerow and MVS had today just disappeared.

It's just real damning on him because our WRs this year are about the same as what he had last year, and hell our best two offensive games have come with Davante sidelined. I'd say his dialing back the aggressive offensive approach definitely caused some of the players to no longer buy into what he was doing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My assessment is that McCarthy got complacent in his playcalling, relying too much on Rodgers to make the play instead of creating the plays to make Rodgers successful. I don't mean that to be too much of a shot at McCarthy. It's very hard to keep fresh ideas rolling out the door. MM got comfortable with what worked in the past and wasn't doing enough to utilize whatever talents his WR corps possessed.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but man, I'd definitely have to say he badly ruined this offense in his last few years here. Games like today used to be seen on a regular in his hay day here, and then boom ... these explosion plays like what Kumerow and MVS had today just disappeared.

It's just real damning on him because our WRs this year are about the same as what he had last year, and hell our best two offensive games have come with Davante sidelined. I'd say his dialing back the aggressive offensive approach definitely caused some of the players to no longer buy into what he was doing.
i think it's just the opposite. the short and medium routes disappeared. all they were trying to do was throw deep in mm's last years. throws to the backs and te's were a thing of the past. heck...the slant even disappeared. MLF is trying his damnedest to reverse that. it's really shown up since the phi game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone is forgetting what happened, and heck, 3 weeks ago everyone was saying Rodgers is this, Rodgers can't do this, Rodgers ignores that...

Reality, his receivers were hurt, then he was hurt, then he came back and was hurt again and couldn't step into any throws and had a single receiver that had a season of service with him and then he had a new coach and new offense. We're finally at the point where the offense is being understood and played enough by everyone to even start to see it working. Quick routes and middle routes are fine routes when things are clicking. They're very dangerous when you're not in synch. It's how it is. What you saw and what you're seeing is pretty normal given the circumstances.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My assessment is that McCarthy got complacent in his playcalling, relying too much on Rodgers to make the play instead of creating the plays to make Rodgers successful. I don't mean that to be too much of a shot at McCarthy. It's very hard to keep fresh ideas rolling out the door. MM got comfortable with what worked in the past and wasn't doing enough to utilize whatever talents his WR corps possessed.

This might be the most accurate assessment of what went wrong with McCarthy coaching this team. He should find success elsewhere (I wonder if he could end up a more successful OC than HC?). This team probably needed a new voice and direction. The entire tenor of the team seems to be positive. Of course when you are winning everyone is happier...

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be the most accurate assessment of what went wrong with McCarthy coaching this team. He should find success elsewhere (I wonder if he could end up a more successful OC than HC?).
Someone will have to give him a chance first. Which I would like to see.
Unless he just wants to retire a Packer.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well to some degree, although he must have realized oops, I just gave the full ability to change plays to Rodgers and now I'm stuck lol.

But in all seriousness, what you said is an easy answer, but if we actually had the real inside access to McCarthy's game planning, the secret room that no media are allowed into, we'd probably find a lot more to it than that.

Ultimately, despite what the fake news diatribe Bleacherreport put out said, neither they nor anyone else are ever going be able to drill down to the truth of the matter. It'll be buried in the pages of history and left up to everyone's speculation as to why the MM offense lost its explosiveness and wasn't hitting the big plays either short or long that it used to. But I still think, without really diving into it game film style, that MM was wanting to take the offense in a direction that Rodgers wasn't liking.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it's just the opposite. the short and medium routes disappeared. all they were trying to do was throw deep in mm's last years. throws to the backs and te's were a thing of the past. heck...the slant even disappeared. MLF is trying his damnedest to reverse that. it's really shown up since the phi game.

The increase in deep balls I think were Rodgers trying to spark big plays, but MM wasn't wanting those.