Derek Sherrod

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just thought I'd ask everyones opinion of this guy thus far. Hard to gauge considering him being a rookie. Not very impressive so far. The early talk was that it was going to be close between him and Lang.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wont be active for the first few weeks would be my guess. This is where we mind out what he is made out of. Does he have what it takes to bust his *ss this season and become a starter in the NFL? Its gotta be a shock to a guy that was so good in college to be destroyed the next year.

Kinda jealous of how well some of the other tackles taken ahead of us are doing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just thought I'd ask everyones opinion of this guy thus far. Hard to gauge considering him being a rookie. Not very impressive so far. The early talk was that it was going to be close between him and Lang.

That's the problem, people got too caught up with Sherrod practicing with the 1st, and with his potential, that they forgot what kind of project he was. A guy that had never played the 3 point stance in college, always working out of the shotgun...

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's hoping he is a much much better LT than LG because Cliffy was exposed by the speed and power combo of dwight freeny yesterday.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clifton always looks slow in the preseason, however, when the games count he cranks it up to the next level. I am not worried about the old man Pro Bowler...

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Clifton always looks slow in the preseason, however, when the games count he cranks it up to the next level. I am not worried about the old man Pro Bowler...

The games may not count in preseason, but how many times does he have to look down at Rodgers laying on his back before he realizes that the injuries in preseason are just as real?

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Like next Thursday? Clifton looked old and slow last night.

How many LTs don't look like that against Dwight Freeney? Especially when they don't have to respect the run at all.

As to Sherrod, it is alarming how bad he's played so far but hopefully he won't have to see the field this year. I've seen his film, I know he can play. It might take him longer to adjust to the next level.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Wasn't that the reason people expected he fell as far as he did? I scouts considered him the top of the "next level".
He is smart and huge though and has potential. I think it's a god send that he can sit and learn behind Cliffy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't that the reason people expected he fell as far as he did? I scouts considered him the top of the "next level".
He is smart and huge though and has potential. I think it's a god send that he can sit and learn behind Cliffy.

Sit and learn behind cliffy? If Clifton keeps playing like he did last night he might be looking for work.

Though I do expect him to rebound somewhat.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Sit and learn behind cliffy? If Clifton keeps playing like he did last night he might be looking for work.

Though I do expect him to rebound somewhat.
I have to admit, I'm stunned to see your post on this ivo.
We're not talking about a new draft pick. They guy might be a little lax in preseason and I'll admit I'm taken aback you're calling the guy out in preseason.
Let's revisit your opinion a month into the season. I admit I'm not optimistic he lasts a season but for good christ's sake, give the guy a break.
What surprises me is that I consider you one of the more level headed posters here. You're just out and out throwing out the O-line this season? I think I just ran into a conversation in one of your dark hours.
I'm not sweating it, we'll revel together when they repeat.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm stunned to see your post on this ivo.
We're not talking about a new draft pick. They guy might be a little lax in preseason and I'll admit I'm taken aback you're calling the guy out in preseason.
Let's revisit your opinion a month into the season. I admit I'm not optimistic he lasts a season but for good christ's sake, give the guy a break.
What surprises me is that I consider you one of the more level headed posters here. You're just out and out throwing out the O-line this season? I think I just ran into a conversation in one of your dark hours.
I'm not sweating it, we'll revel together when they repeat.

Im calling him out for getting owned last night and I said I expect him to rebound, but if he doesnt I cant imagine he will be starting. Rodgers is the franchise, his safety is the #1 priority of the Oline. If Clifton isnt doing his job he will be benched or gone.

Preseason football doesnt count but preseason injuries do.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Im calling him out for getting owned last night and I said I expect him to rebound, but if he doesnt I cant imagine he will be starting. Rodgers is the franchise, his safety is the #1 priority of the Oline. If Clifton isnt doing his job he will be benched or gone.

Preseason football doesnt count but preseason injuries do.

Remember, most teams don't let their LT go one-on-one against Dwight Freeney. Clifton did a fantastic job against Jared Allen and Demarcus Ware last year. I'm confident he'll be fine.

Jebsta16

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod will be worked at LG and LT because that is how our offense works. Not one guy on our line knows just one position. Sherrod's work at LG will only make him a better tackle from a technique perspective.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I disagree Sherrod’s work at LG will help him technique-wise at LT. It will mostly help him from an understanding of other OL assignments aspect IMO. The biggest similarity is they both have the same hand on the ground. Other than that, everything happens more quickly inside and different techniques are needed to adjust to that.

One of the few criticisms I have of McCarthy, Philbin, and Campen is their apparent belief that every new OL must play multiple positions. Obviously some O linemen have to be versatile since they usually activate just 7 OL on game day. But IMO it retards the development of players like Sherrod who IMO is only an OT. The jump from college to the pros is tough enough; having Sherrod learn a position he never played in college just didn’t make any sense to me. If Sherrod is the LT of the future, and I believe he is, what difference does it make if he’s “only” a great LT? Jack of all trades, master of none is necessary for a marginal starter or career backup OL, but not for a player picked in the first round to play the line’s most important position for the foreseeable future. Even so, no harm no foul IMO. Lang has time to settle in at LG with the ones and Newhouse’s improvement should allow Sherrod plenty of time to get acclimated to LT if they leave him there.

Regarding Clifton, keep in mind because of the mileage on his knees, he doesn’t get the normal amount of reps during practice. He started last season slow too and then played some of his best football for the rest of the way. But like every player, time waits for no man so Clifton’s time will come. If it comes too soon, I think Newhouse will be able to fill in with some scheming help from McCarthy. At some point most likely next season, Sherrod will be ready to take over.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You guys expectations of Sherrod are way to high. He had no OTA's in which to be coached up in the off season and then he was thrown in out of position at the pro level. He is incredibly smart and talented. I think he will be ready to contribute by week 4 or 5 and I think he is going to be a monster on the left side for the next 10 years once he gets his bearings.

rockywoj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi there. First time poster on the Packers forum, here.

I came here to find out the scoop on Derek Sherrod. As a Colts fan, I had graded him out higher than Anthony Castonzo and I wanted the Colts to select him. Castonzo looks to be the LT starter in Indie this year, but he has been mediocre so far, which in fairness, is no surprise for a rookie.

I was curious, though, upon seeing that Sherrod was inactive in last night's game, to find out what the scoop is, as I had figured he would be the Packers' starting OLT by midseason, and a Pro Bowler by year 3.

I am surprised to read here that he has been struggling. Have they not been giving him any reps at LT?

To me, Sherrod is a pure LT and it is surprising to read that they had been trying to use him as a Guard. I say put the man back to where he belongs, that being LT.

From the informed Packers fans, what's your take on Sherrod?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I came here to find out the scoop on Derek Sherrod. As a Colts fan, I had graded him out higher than Anthony Castonzo and I wanted the Colts to select him. Castonzo looks to be the LT starter in Indie this year, but he has been mediocre so far, which in fairness, is no surprise for a rookie.

I was curious, though, upon seeing that Sherrod was inactive in last night's game, to find out what the scoop is, as I had figured he would be the Packers' starting OLT by midseason, and a Pro Bowler by year 3.

I am surprised to read here that he has been struggling. Have they not been giving him any reps at LT?

To me, Sherrod is a pure LT and it is surprising to read that they had been trying to use him as a Guard. I say put the man back to where he belongs, that being LT.

He got reps as a guard and tackle in camp. He wasnt beating out anyone. technique seemed to be a big issue. The plan is to have him be a tackle from here on out, they just thought they would give him a chance to start and see how he did. Its really too early to say what he will become. Check back in a year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sherrod isn't struggling, moreso Marshall Newhouse is excelling.

He entered last game at RT and played a great game, with only 1 pressure allowed IIRC. He was so good Peppers got moved to play against him, but then was forced to go back to Clifton, because he wasn't getting home.

Sherrod would be starting on this team, but, believe it or not, we have great depth at the OL, particularly the tackle spots.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yep, once again, TT has players on the roster that can step in and play at a high level. Not like the Jets, I really felt for that center, he had been on the team what, 3 weeks an he gets thrown in the fire on Sunday night football. Talk about a bad night and a long trip home.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts