Demarious Randall

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes me think he is a great team player and puts his own personal goals behind team goals.

Bro, this is absolute truth right here and I totally overlooked it. "I am a corner!" "NO, son, you are a safety." "OK."
That is a helluva compliment to the young man for doing the team thing rather put his own goals and desires ahead of the team. It's been pretty well documented that the corner spot has grown some WR-like diva tendencies over the last 5-10 years and most of them play with the word that starts with S and ends in G (I refuse to say it) and enjoy the look at me spotlight. I get it as the position is much like a closer in baseball as it's you and that's it most of the time. You have to handle your business or get torched for all the world to see. You need a short memory and confidence by the truckload. I am not saying there aren't other DB's that would do the same I am however saying that it's rare for the upper echelon ones to do so. This kid didn't just say "I will do whatever will help the team" but actually did it and it looks like it paid off for him. This is one of the reasons I noted Blake Bell (TE from OU) as one of my sleeper mid-late round picks yesterday. He was the QB and for the betterment of the team and at his coaches request moved to TE and instead of wearing the don't touch me red uniform in practice he was hooking up with DE's and OLB's working on pass-pro. Guys on the Sooner squad would die for Blake and his unselfish attitude is a huge reason for that. When a kid has obvious talent you tend to like him. When a kid has talent, work ethic and a team first mentality I tend to LOVE them and I assume teammates do as well. Very astute point AM and you my friend are a team player for pointing this out...:)

G P G!!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Ted and co. do a hell of a good job, but this is one pick I don't think I'll ever be sold on. Wish the kid all the best, but I can't be made to like that pick.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Won't lie, I hated the Casey Heyward pick but then Heyward did nothing but prove he could be a really good corner when he's healthy. Altho I wanted another guy it is what it is...but Heyward wasn't a 1st round pick.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind the following is highlight tape of Randall tackling. That's not a strong tackler.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
A lot of the tackling I saw on this HIGHLIGHT film was arm and hand tackling ......I don't think that will work very well against the likes of guys like Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, etc. .....know what I mean?

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you just point out bad tape on him?

Depends on what the "bad" things are... if he misses tackles b/c he's overaggressive - that's correctable; if he misses tackles b/c he takes bad angles - that too is correctable, but more difficult to fix; if he misses tackles b/c he's simply too small to compete?? That's a horse of a different color.

The overall tape of Randall is of a guy who is small, and plays even smaller - that's impossible to overlook... unless, of course, you are the Packers - who discount physicality, and place a premium on speed and ball skills.

Randall has decent speed, although I didn't see much evidence of a 2nd gear or makeup speed; and he has decent ball skills - everything else about him is either below average or very poor.

He is a very poor tackler - not just a poor tackler - a very poor tackler. Packer nation may get all tingly over every TT pick, but a defensive player who is so fundamentally unsound at one of the essentials of the game is a serious red flag.

He may turn out to be an okay nickel back, but I don't think he can compete outside, and his shortcomings are enough to say that he had no business going in the first round. I don't like the pick at all.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on what the "bad" things are... if he misses tackles b/c he's overaggressive - that's correctable; if he misses tackles b/c he takes bad angles - that too is correctable, but more difficult to fix; if he misses tackles b/c he's simply too small to compete?? That's a horse of a different color.

The overall tape of Randall is of a guy who is small, and plays even smaller - that's impossible to overlook... unless, of course, you are the Packers - who discount physicality, and place a premium on speed and ball skills.

Randall has decent speed, although I didn't see much evidence of a 2nd gear or makeup speed; and he has decent ball skills - everything else about him is either below average or very poor.

He is a very poor tackler - not just a poor tackler - a very poor tackler. Packer nation may get all tingly over every TT pick, but a defensive player who is so fundamentally unsound at one of the essentials of the game is a serious red flag.

He may turn out to be an okay nickel back, but I don't think he can compete outside, and his shortcomings are enough to say that he had no business going in the first round. I don't like the pick at all.

Its safe to say that we'll take TT's judgement on the pick and the kids ability over an armchair expert like you. Besides, you're using a lot of hyperbole there.

I love the pick.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't like the pick at all.
Really? I didn't get that from your posts. What don't you like about it?

Seriously, I get the concern about his size - if he can't sustain about the 196 pounds he weighed at the combine that could be a problem. But I'll bet his cover and ball skills are very good and he's faster than Tramon Williams. As for his tackling, we're just going to have to wait and see.

I wonder why Thompson didn't draft a taller, heavier corner with great speed and great cover and ball skills? I'm sure lots were available at #30.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've looked at a lot of scouting reports on him. Some mention his tackling as a weakness, but none say it's very poor. Your posts about his tackling being that had and even unfixable are a clear exaggeration.

I could easily do the opposite and find one tape of good tackling and therefore proclaim he's very good at it

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the tackling I saw on this HIGHLIGHT film was arm and hand tackling ......I don't think that will work very well against the likes of guys like Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, etc. .....know what I mean?

Not many corners currently in the league would be good at taking those two down alone.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've looked at a lot of scouting reports on him. Some mention his tackling as a weakness, but none say it's very poor. Your posts about his tackling being that had and even unfixable are a clear exaggeration.

I could easily do the opposite and find one tape of good tackling and therefore proclaim he's very good at it

Watch Randall in this game... nothing short of awful.

If this were all a scout had to go on - it's clear he's best suited for playing bartender. Every player is going to have strengths and weaknesses - but in no game did I ever come away and think he was anything other than a terrible tackler.

In this game, he is simply a complete disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=PVp8vFZadbg

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I wonder why Thompson didn't draft a taller, heavier corner with great speed and great cover and ball skills? I'm sure lots were available at #30.
He tried to trade down but couldn't, or has he put it, teams were not offering enough.

He had to have a cornerback in this draft, so he reached for what he thought was the best available candidate. Besides the tackling issues, what concerns me is this guy played one year of cornerback in Juco. Finding angles from the safety position is one thing; flipping hips 180 degrees at cover corner without giving up separation to NFL wideouts is something entirely different.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Thats the truth.
The truth is he reached for need with Perry and D. Jones, two picks I did not care for at the time. Now Randall...if this were last year's draft when the Packers needed a free safety very badly, I'd be OK with it.

Can we now finally put a stake in the heart of "best player available"?

Maybe it was "In Schneider we trust" all along.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But he runs the 40 in under 4 seconds, benchs 800 lbs, and has a 90 inch vertical. Nobody will ever com0lete a pass against the Packer defense for the next 12 years.

The first exaggerator never has a chance.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch Randall in this game... nothing short of awful.

If this were all a scout had to go on - it's clear he's best suited for playing bartender. Every player is going to have strengths and weaknesses - but in no game did I ever come away and think he was anything other than a terrible tackler.

In this game, he is simply a complete disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=PVp8vFZadbg

You sure do use a lot of hyperbole in your Randall assessments.

"awful"
"disaster"

lol

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is he reached for need with Perry and D. Jones, two picks I did not care for at the time. Now Randall...if this were last year's draft when the Packers needed a free safety very badly, I'd be OK with it.

Can we now finally put a stake in the heart of "best player available"?

Maybe it was "In Schneider we trust" all along.

Except the last two draft classes without Schneider have been solid.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is going to excel by playing in the Slot where you have to cover quick receivers so that they can move Hayward outside. He could make a huge impact. Remember Tyrann Mathieu out of LSU for the Cardinals and the impact he made to Arizona's Defense?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you'll take the word of some stranger off the street over an NFL Front Office manager when it comes to player evaluation?

Boy, remind me to never ask you for advice.

Back to basics, then. If we only listen to the front office managers, what is the point of the forum? TT has his opinion, you have yours, I have mine, the guy that posted had his. The front office managers of the Browns, Vikings, Millen/Lions, Raiders, et. al. all had/have theirs, and I'd normally take the word of some stranger off the street than those. If only those opinions that agree with yours count, we can just look at the draft board and go "wow, ain't that wonderful?".

Reaction score
Yeah, Kiko Alonzo was a 4th rounder. If TT doesn't think that there's much difference between the Anthony's and the Ben Heeney's of the world then good for him for waiting.
Would you say the same thing when we drafted Linsley who arguably had the best season of any center this season?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you say the same thing when we drafted Linsley who arguably had the best season of any center this season?

Never really happy with the way posts are quoted here, often dropping off the one that started the process, but, regardless, I doubt if there's anyone who denies that low draft choices (heck, undrafted players) can't be really good, just that the odds are better for the higher picks. As an aside, remember that Linsley probably wouldn't even have played last year if Tretter hadn't gotten hurt.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy with the pick. I like it a lot more than us picking Jalen Collins there.
Agreed. Randall was moving up a lot of draft boards. Mayock had him going to Philly at 20. And I'm happy with Rollins and Montgomery. All of them should see significant playing time, and that's what you want, especially with the first two picks. These guys can contribute on D and STs immediately.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when we were mad that Ted traded up in the draft to select a linebacker that could barely start his senior year?

I'll give it a year before I freak out. Teds earned it
Very well said. And I'll admit I didn't think ARod could make it in the NFL. It's been great being a Packers fan for the last 10 years thanks to TT.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts