Demarious Randall

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Brohm, Justin Harrell, Darren College, etc....another weird "flyer" for TT. I was listening to some Dallas sports radio station while waiting for a delayed flight at the DALLS/FORT WORTH airport while the draft was going on ...and one of the radio people/ sports analalyst/announcers said, after hearing the pick..."what the hell was THAT about?

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch Randall in this game... nothing short of awful.

If this were all a scout had to go on - it's clear he's best suited for playing bartender. Every player is going to have strengths and weaknesses - but in no game did I ever come away and think he was anything other than a terrible tackler.

In this game, he is simply a complete disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=PVp8vFZadbg

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTis="wist43, post: 608561, member: 9839"]Watch Randall in this game... nothing short of awful.

If this were all a scout had to go on - it's clear he's best suited for playing bartender. Every player is going to have strengths and weaknesses - but in no game did I ever come away and think he was anything other than a terrible tackler.

In this game, he is simply a complete disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=PVp8vFZadbg[/QUOTE]
This is a video all the Randall "cheerleaders" should watch.
WTF.... this guy a number 1? Unbelievable???
Has TT taken to Halucinogens?
Go ahead...check it out....it's only just over 8 minutes.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTin the="Vrill, post: 608559, member: 5566"]So you'll take the word of some stranger off the street over an NFL Front Office manager when it comes to player evaluation?

Boy, remind me to never ask you for advice.[/QUOTE]
Back in the late 80's, I had seen a running back who I thought would be the next big thing, plus another player who I liked, but of whom I thought he had too big a mouth. The Packer's front office apparently didn't know better...choosing Tony "Bust-Out Boob Bombshell" Mandarich.....and passing on one of the greatest ... Barry Sanders....and the vociferous "Neon" Deion Sanders.
WTF did I know compared to the Packer's Front Office experts? Hey?
I'm not saying I'm better than them. ...but don't tell me they can't F@#k up big time, like I think they did here....

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should hav rOTE="Vrill, post: 608566, member: 5566"]You sure do use a lot of hyperbole in your Randall assessments.

"awful"
"disaster"

lol[/QUOTE]
Perhaps he could have used "crappy" and horrendous" .... maybe those would have sounded better.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Brohm, Justin Harrell, Darren College, etc....another weird "flyer" for TT. I was listening to some Dallas sports radio station while waiting for a delayed flight at the DALLS/FORT WORTH airport while the draft was going on ...and one of the radio people/ sports analalyst/announcers said, after hearing the pick..."what the hell was THAT about?
Why stop there? Some other weird flyers: Jordy Nelson, Nick Collins, Clay Matthews and others were all met with skepticism.

So you hit a #2 overall pick 30 years ago so you are an expert? Your problem is you can't even begin to comprehend how little you know about running a draft and an NFL team

PS College started a bunch of games for us and was pretty good. He was a good pick.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Back in the late 80's, I had seen a running back who I thought would be the next big thing, plus another player who I liked, but of whom I thought he had too big a mouth. The Packer's front office apparently didn't know better...choosing Tony "Bust-Out Boob Bombshell" Mandarich.....and passing on one of the greatest ... Barry Sanders....and the vociferous "Neon" Deion Sanders. WTF did I know compared to the Packer's Front Office experts? Hey? I'm not saying I'm better than them. ...but don't tell me they can't F@#k up big time, like I think they did here....
Don't you just love it when posters brag about **** that can't be verified?

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why stop there? Some other weird flyers: Jordy Nelson, Nick Collins, Clay Matthews and others were all met with skepticism.

So you hit a #2 overall pick 30 years ago so you are an expert? Your problem is you can't even begin to comprehend how little you know about running a draft and an NFL team

PS College started a bunch of games for us and was pretty good. He was a good pick.
Nelson, Collins, Matthews? ...skepticism?
not by me.....maybe by you....but no problems with me. I LOVED the MATTHEWS PICK. I DID think Raji was a waste at #6, and his ultimate value IMO will be less than that

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
E="ThxJackVainisi, post: 609204, member: 4300"]Don't you just love it when posters brag about **** that can't be verified? [/QUOTE]
Don't you just HATE it when people start talking about something and they don't even know what they're talking about. Years ago I wrote a letter to The Kenosha News when the paper used to ask fans, pre-draft, to write in and recommend their selections. It got published. If they even keep an archive it might be in there. I know I made a xerox of it, but I have to admit, finding a paper from 25 years ago might be impossible. But if the News has the archive. ....it was the letter from Andrew K.

Last edited:

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P.S. OTE="AmishMafia, post: 609173, member: 2846"]Why stop there? Some other weird flyers: Jordy Nelson, Nick Collins, Clay Matthews and others were all met with skepticism.

PS College started a bunch of games for us and was pretty good. He was a good pick.[/QUOTE]
P.S College was a second class journeyman, who went on from the Packers to ultimately be a guard in perhaps the worst offensive line in the NFL at the time....the Arizona Cardinals. He recently had the good sense to call it quits.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind TT going CB in the 1st round - what I have a problem with is that he took a guy who can't tackle.

And in case you guys have short memories, what is one of MM's mantra's during the season when reporters are peppering him with questions about what will be done about the poor tackling - "... we'll get that cleaned up" - it happens every year!!! He might as well make a tape recording of that line and bring it with him to his pressers.

The reason it happens every year is b/c the Packers value speed and coverage to the exclusion of tackling and toughness.

That said, as poor a tackler as Randall is - Rollins is an excellent tackler.

Not throwing barbs at Randall just to be negative - just calling it the way I see it. Watch the tape... his poor tackling sticks out like a sore thumb.

I posted a link the Stanford game - his tackling and overall play in that game was atrocious; yet, he did come away with a pick in that game. To TT and the Packers, the pick overrides all of the other bad play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't mind TT going CB in the 1st round - what I have a problem with is that he took a guy who can't tackle.

And in case you guys have short memories, what is one of MM's mantra's during the season when reporters are peppering him with questions about what will be done about the poor tackling - "... we'll get that cleaned up" - it happens every year!!! He might as well make a tape recording of that line and bring it with him to his pressers.

The reason it happens every year is b/c the Packers value speed and coverage to the exclusion of tackling and toughness.

That said, as poor a tackler as Randall is - Rollins is an excellent tackler.

Not throwing barbs at Randall just to be negative - just calling it the way I see it. Watch the tape... his poor tackling sticks out like a sore thumb.

I posted a link the Stanford game - his tackling and overall play in that game was atrocious; yet, he did come away with a pick in that game. To TT and the Packers, the pick overrides all of the other bad play.

Randall has the range to cover a lot of ground and his strength for sure is in coverage. It seems that in the run game he's sometimes over-eager and out of control but that can be corrected by proper coaching.

BTW he didn't have a pick vs. Stanford but recovered a muffed punt. Oddly enough it was Ty Montgomery dropping the ball.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall has the range to cover a lot of ground and his strength for sure is in coverage. It seems that in the run game he's sometimes over-eager and out of control but that can be corrected by proper coaching.

BTW he didn't have a pick vs. Stanford but recovered a muffed punt. Oddly enough it was Ty Montgomery dropping the ball.

Sorry, meant the Oregon St game...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P.S. OTE="AmishMafia, post: 609173, member: 2846"]Why stop there? Some other weird flyers: Jordy Nelson, Nick Collins, Clay Matthews and others were all met with skepticism.

PS College started a bunch of games for us and was pretty good. He was a good pick.[/QUOTE ]
P.S College was a second class journeyman, who went on from the Packers to ultimately be a guard in perhaps the worst offensive line in the NFL at the time....the Arizona Cardinals. He recently had the good sense to call it quits.
For the love of God.

Just hit "reply" and then type below the quoted text. That is, type after the [/quote ]

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was expecting us to pick either Brown, Kendricks or Landon Collins with our first round pick (yup, the safety) and was hoping for us to pick Kendricks. I was shocked at first when we picked Randell, because it seemed like a huge reach a first, but after reading up and watching tape it starts to make sense! I still don't like the pick, but I don't hate it either!

Like I said in the Landon Collins topic, I like the idea of safeties playing the slot in some sub-packages (see link from that topic).

It a way to improve your pass D, without giving too much ground in the run game, since those safeties are in general much better tacklers than most corners. So that's why I considered Collins a option at the time.When you compare Landon Collins and Randall it becomes clear that Randall is a better athlete (4,46 vs 4,53 40 yard dash and 6,83 vs 7,38 3 cone). After watching tape of both players it also becomes clear that Randall is the better cover corner. The real issue is tackling. Landon Collins is a sure tackler, and Randall is anything but a sure tackler. That stats aren't even that bad (12 missed tackles, 102 tackles made per PFF on twitter). But some of those missed tackles look really really bad on tape. He is way to aggressive sometimes and takes himself out of position. Let's hope that is fixable. If this is fixable Randall has the potential to become one of the better slot corners in the NFL (this is a big IF).

The reality of modern day football is that the NFL is a passing league. Sub-packages are more important than ever! Therefore slot corner, although a part time position, is probably more important position than inside linebacker. There has been a huge influx of quick/fast slot receivers (for example, Seattle just drafted Lockett, who ran 4,40 40yd dash). If you can find a slot corner that can run with the guys, that is huge for your pass-D. The bottom line is that Randall is probably much better suited for this role than Collins. Heck he might even play outside in the future. Moreover we already have Hyde, who is slower, but also more physical and a better tackler. Therefore he is more suited to cover tight ends and bigger/slower slot receivers.

Moreover the versatility is huge plus. First of it limits the possibilities for offense to create mismatches. Second, it allows you to get more creative with your coverage's.

So I short, I can see why Ted liked Randall better than both Collins and Kendricks. I expect us to use Randall a lot in the nickel and the dime this year depending on the match-ups.

D

Deleted member 6794

The reality of modern day football is that the NFL is a passing league. Sub-packages are more important than ever! Therefore slot corner, although a part time position, is probably more important position than inside linebacker.

I agree with a lot of the things you posted but inside linebacker is still an important position in the Packers defensive scheme. Capers lines up with two ILBs 90% of the time and plays a single one in the dime package as well.

In addition I´m not totally convinced playing more of an big dime package instead of the traditional nickel scheme would improve the defense (especially against the run).

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the things you posted but inside linebacker is still an important position in the Packers defensive scheme. Capers lines up with two ILBs 90% of the time and plays a single one in the dime package as well.

I never said that inside linebacker is not important. Like Thompson said: "you can't pick em all." I preferred Kendricks myself, but I see why TT picked a slot corner over an inside linebacker.

In addition I´m not totally convinced playing more of an big dime package instead of the traditional nickel scheme would improve the defense (especially against the run).

Obviously it is a game of trade-offs. Adding a defensive back improves the pass-D in expense of the run-D! But when you have slot corners that can play the run well, your pass-D can improve a lot by adding a DB without sacrificing too much run-D! Obviously, whether it is smart or not to use the big nickel/dime depends on the match-ups.

4foxes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow I have 4 draft books and I cant find this guy in anyone of them. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
I have one draft book and he's listed in the top ten. I'd say leading the team with a 106 tackles isn't to shabby.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously it is a game of trade-offs. Adding a defensive back improves the pass-D in expense of the run-D! But when you have slot corners that can play the run well, your pass-D can improve a lot by adding a DB without sacrificing too much run-D! Obviously, whether it is smart or not to use the big nickel/dime depends on the match-ups.

The Packers will most likely continue to use their traditional dime package on obvious passing down (about 10% of the snaps). The real issue here is what they will do with the nickel scheme. It would be interesting to see if the run defense would still be viable by replacing an ILB with either Hyde or Rollins. I don´t think Randall´s tackling skills are good enough for him to replace an inside backer.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Corner and safety are vastly more important positions in the NFL than ILB. I can completely understand why Thompson went the route he did. Stopping Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Kevin White, Mike Wallace, Stefon Diggs and Alshon Jeffrey is far more important on defense than slowing down Martellus Bennett, Eric Ebron, Brandon Bostick (HAH) and Kyle Rudolph. About the only guy in the NFC North that's a true threat that an ILB would be responsible for would be Matt Forte and I'm not sure there's a linebacker in the entire NFL that can cover that guy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Randall is the player the Packers are hoping for, I would think they put Randall in deep center (similar to Earl Thomas, though obviously he's probably not going to be as good as Thomas) and that allows the other players on defense to be more aggressive against the run because you have a safety with enormous range able to cover guys that get deep.

So, basically, I think Randall was drafted to allow better tacklers to be more aggressive. Also, given a year or two, it would seem that Randall's tackling ability should improve markedly.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The Packers will most likely continue to use their traditional dime package on obvious passing down (about 10% of the snaps). The real issue here is what they will do with the nickel scheme. It would be interesting to see if the run defense would still be viable by replacing an ILB with either Hyde or Rollins. I don´t think Randall´s tackling skills are good enough for him to replace an inside backer.
Replacing a LB with a DB in nickel gets you a dime defense. Whether it's called "big dime", three-safety dime, or if I may coin a term, "small nickel", it's the same personnel.

There are just too many run/pass tweener downs to make it a staple, particularly in this defense. Two down linemen and one ILB begs the opponent to audible to run on 1st. and 10, 2nd. and 5, 3rd. and 3, etc.

Randall playing in the box is something I hope I never see.

D

Deleted member 6794

Corner and safety are vastly more important positions in the NFL than ILB. I can completely understand why Thompson went the route he did. Stopping Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Kevin White, Mike Wallace, Stefon Diggs and Alshon Jeffrey is far more important on defense than slowing down Martellus Bennett, Eric Ebron, Brandon Bostick (HAH) and Kyle Rudolph. About the only guy in the NFC North that's a true threat that an ILB would be responsible for would be Matt Forte and I'm not sure there's a linebacker in the entire NFL that can cover that guy.

Of course teams don´t ask an ILB to cover an opponent´s top wide receivers. It´s still important not getting beat by a TE or a RB catching balls.

If Randall is the player the Packers are hoping for, I would think they put Randall in deep center (similar to Earl Thomas, though obviously he's probably not going to be as good as Thomas) and that allows the other players on defense to be more aggressive against the run because you have a safety with enormous range able to cover guys that get deep.

So, basically, I think Randall was drafted to allow better tacklers to be more aggressive. Also, given a year or two, it would seem that Randall's tackling ability should improve markedly.

I´m convinced the Packers will continue to play Clinton-Dix as the single high safety most of the time with Randall competing to start at outside corner opposite Shields.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

That's a valid point. However, building a team just for the division as currently constituted is awfully reactive and doesn't account for the teams met in the playoffs.