Demarious Randall

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this pick also allows us to get Burnett out of the game on passing downs.. I'm ok with that. Especially against teams with solid tightends...like Seattle!!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 1st reaction was disappointment, kind of smallish.
The more I read and hear about this guy the better I feel, and, I absolutely love that he was a Sun Devil.
Now I'm ready to move forward with the rest of the draft.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I still don't know where all these tackles AJ Hawk "would make" came from... Ive watched every packer snap and I'm more than positive 60% of his tackles were assisted . NEVER watched a game with him in the middle and was like omg Hawk is everywhere . Skewed number for sure.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I think this pick also allows us to get Burnett out of the game on passing downs.. I'm ok with that. Especially against teams with solid tightends...like Seattle!!
I see Randall as a cover corner on passing downs, with Hayward playing nickel, dime or sitting. We saw this with Shields initially with Woodson moving to nickel, and again with House at cover corner and Williams at nickel, the latter a plan that did not stick.

I have a hard time seeing Shields, Randall and Dix (below average tacklers) on the field simultaneously without the support of the best tacklers in this secondary (Burnett and Hyde) in nickel run-pass tweener downs, of which there are many.

Otherwise, he adds depth at free safety in the event of a Dix injury.

I imagine Randall will be tried at gunner with Bush looking like he won't be returning.

Backup on punt returns...what's not to like about Hyde? Cobb may be too expensive to risk at this juncture.

Insurance against losing Hayward in free agency after 2015.

Role player in 2015.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't know where all these tackles AJ Hawk "would make" came from... Ive watched every packer snap and I'm more than positive 60% of his tackles were assisted . NEVER watched a game with him in the middle and was like omg Hawk is everywhere . Skewed number for sure.

He never chased people down...or it was so rare it is nearly "never". He also never de-cleated guys...but when Hawk got a piece of the guy with the ball the guy was a sure tackler. To be honest it's pretty much the only thing he did well...but very well...again though not meaning he was a good pursuit tackler (not even in the same solar system of that).

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

All indications are that he was the best player at his position, and you don't often get guys like that at #30. Good cover skills, and also a guy that can contribute on special teams. I'll wait to see how this pans out, but for now I'm optimistic.

Oh, and for those passing out grades 10 seconds after the pick is announced.......seriously?
Some people actually looked at this player in advance of the draft.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

He never chased people down...or it was so rare it is nearly "never". He also never de-cleated guys...but when Hawk got a piece of the guy with the ball the guy was a sure tackler. To be honest it's pretty much the only thing he did well...but very well...again though not meaning he was a good pursuit tackler (not even in the same solar system of that).
I think that's a balanced perspective. For example, the Packers charged him with only 3 missed tackles in 2014. Clearly, his severely diminished range became a big issue.

As for Hawk's tackle stats, I think there are not few falling-on-the-pile and gang-tackle assists in his numbers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly another aspect of Randall I like is he's a past Outfielder...say what you want but the dude made a living covering ground, that is a measurable straight line 40 numbers can hide. I don't foresee the second coming of Woodson, but I truly feel we got an excellent player for the spot we were at, just need him to contribute is all right now.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People get heated bc teds board doesn't look like the one they see on ESPN before the draft. its ridiculous

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People get heated bc teds board doesn't look like the one they see on ESPN before the draft. its ridiculous

Ted's board gave us Collins and Nelson both in similar surprising fashion....hope something similar.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Randall as a cover corner on passing downs, with Hayward playing nickel, dime or sitting. We saw this with Shields initially with Woodson moving to nickel, and again with House at cover corner and Williams at nickel, the latter a plan that did not stick.

I have a hard time seeing Shields, Randall and Dix (below average tacklers) on the field simultaneously without the support of the best tacklers in this secondary (Burnett and Hyde) in nickel run-pass tweener downs, of which there are many.

Otherwise, he adds depth at free safety in the event of a Dix injury.

I imagine Randall will be tried at gunner with Bush looking like he won't be returning.

Backup on punt returns...what's not to like about Hyde? Cobb may be too expensive to risk at this juncture.

Insurance against losing Hayward in free agency after 2015.

Role player in 2015.

Good post. I think where Randall and Hayward end up will depend on how things shake up in training camp. It's hard to see Hayward continuing to get so few snaps.

Also, Shields isn't has horrible of a tackler as he used to be, and I've read that Randall is a good tackler, just not a big hitter. Dix was up and down last year. Sometimes he looked lousy tackling and other times he looked pretty good.

I agree that Randall is going to be a big special teamer this year. Not sure that means they're ditching Bush.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Looks like we got a guy that can play multiple positions in the secondary. Not bad if you ask me considering we lost two corners in free agency.

Reaction score
Not a good tackler, but a good cover........not what I wanted
2 things:
1. We got the best cover DB in the draft + possibly the fastest in game speed
2. How do we not know that there is deep talent at LB that Ted knows he can steal later in the draft (Like Linsley at center last year)

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's one thing to just say - "he can't tackle"... It's another thing to put tape on and prove it.

He may have gotten credit for 106 tackles - but as one scout wrote, "... he's an ankle biter".

He really is a lousy tackler, lacks physicality - he has a very narrow frame, and plays even smaller than his stature. He's a nickel back that can't tackle.

A lot of scouts had him as 5th round - undrafted FA; but he ran well at the combine, and he played the ball very well at the Senior Bowl - hence TT jumps on him in the 1st round... this is a 'wow, just wow' pick.

It should be a hoot watching him try to tackle Alshon Jeffrey, Calvin Johnson, and Kevin White - let alone try to get an NFL RB on the ground after he breaks the LOS.

I was willing to give TT the benefit of the doubt - but after watching this guy on tape, he was a terrible pick. He may pan out to be an okay nickel back, but I doubt he can play outside, and he can't tackle my sister. This is the kind of pick that gets scouts and GM's fired - of course there is no danger of that in Green Bay, but this is not a good pick at all.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 things:
1. We got the best cover DB in the draft + possibly the fastest in game speed
2. How do we not know that there is deep talent at LB that Ted knows he can steal later in the draft (Like Linsley at center last year)
Yeah, Kiko Alonzo was a 4th rounder. If TT doesn't think that there's much difference between the Anthony's and the Ben Heeney's of the world then good for him for waiting.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But they watched "tape" and by that i mean 4 videos on youtube. I bet TT didnt do that. Probably watched every game at AZ and JC. Talked to all HCs and position coaches since he was a jr in HS. Had a physician check him. Had a dozen coaches and scouts review every play he was on the field. Interviewrd him at senior bowl. Talked to a dozen of his teammates. But did he do the real research? Buy kypers guide, read internet forums, and watch 4 youtube videos? No, prolly not.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The guy is gonna play corner. He has 4.4 speed and like someone else posted he is the best "cover guy" in the draft.
Was Tramon a big physical corner or great tackler?

The answer is NO he wasn't and this guy is faster then Tramon.

We have been lining up smaller corners on our divisions bigger receivers for awhile now and we keep winning the division. People have to understand that in our defensive scheme our corners are asked to be good "cover guys." This guy fits what Capers does perfectly.

I am so glad TT didn't reach for Kendricks and the ILB is coming today.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has all the makings of a very good DB for us. I don't know what's not to like? considering the little I know of his background, he appears to be very coachable by is improvement after just 2 years at ASU. Obviously works hard and is very athletic. He's fast, he changes directions fast and seems to have good instincts. He can make a play on the ball in the air and actually cover people, not just run in their area. What's not to like? besides he had an "S" listed as his position, you hadn't considered him before, and some writer who's wrong at least as often as they're "right" said something bad?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Double Headed Nickel" refers to players who in the Nickel can be a LB and a DB at the same time. Being that Randall was a S he should have no problem coming down into the box for run support and but also win the matchup on slot WRs or RBs.

I just made it up. It was a play on the fact we have Hyde, already at the position, and now we draft a 1st round of the same mold...... hence the double headed nickle....

Yes everyone. I know the second nickel is a dime back. its called a play on words..... good greif..........

Members online

Latest posts