Demarious Randall

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I just made it up. It was a play on the fact we have Hyde, already at the position, and now we draft a 1st round of the same mold...... hence the double headed nickle....

Yes everyone. I know the second nickel is a dime back. its called a play on words..... good greif..........

This guy isn't the same player as Hyde. He is faster and has more acceleration in and out of cuts and better cover skills. Hyde lacks the speed and quick acceleration to play outside. Not to take anything away from Hyde but these two guys are two completely different types of players.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read Page 1 and Page 6 - too much whining.

Here are pre-draft assessments that McGinn put together:
What NFL personnel people told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn about FS Damarious Randall of Arizona State before the draft.
NFC scout: "He's going to go back end of the first round. Extremely athletic. Very fast. Very position flexible."
AFC scout: "I saw him. I liked him. Good ball skills. He can play corner in a pinch. You can cover with him in the slot. He has those kind of movement skills."
AFC scout: "He's an undersized guy but he's active. He can cover. He's got good instincts but sometimes he gambles a little too much and takes himself out of position. People talk about it's a passing league and the box safety is growing out of style. He kind of fits in with the new wave of safeties who can cover receivers and strong enough to play around the line of scrimmage. He reminds me a little bit of the guy the 49ers drafted last year (Jimmie Ward) at the bottom of the first round."
AFC scout: "I don't see that (late first-round pick). He's off size for a safety. He's got cover skill and speed. He's an average tackler. He's got a chance to be a starting safety, but I don't see him as a first-rounder."
AFC scout: "He's a mid-round kind of guy. He's OK. Nothing special."
AFC scout: "There's an outside chance he goes late one."
AFC scout: "He's creeping up there (first round). He's being compared to T.J. Ward."
NFC scout: "Second rounder."
AFC scout: "I'm not crazy about him."
NFC scout: "I like that little dude. Maybe second round. Size is the holdback. He's just not physical. He reminds me of Devin McCourty. He played corner his first year or two in the league. This kid never played corner. He's a baseball player. Got drafted, went to the minor leagues and went to junior college because he hurt his shoulder. He was standing on the chain gang at a football game when he looked out and said, 'I'm better than these guys.' So the coach let him play. He's smart enough."
AFC scout: "He's a corner. He can't play safety because he doesn't tackle that well. Good athlete. He played safety for them just because they had a need there. He is not a big person. He's not a good tackler. He doesn't break down; he just dives at people. He worked out as a corner and he's quick. Fifth rounder. He covered the slot there. He backpedaled easy. Good change of direction. He does have good ball skills. Even though he weighed 194 he is a small-framed person. Small waist. Little bowlegged."
AFC scout: "Not bad. More of an athletic space safety than a box safety. He's a little shorter."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...t-the-packers-pick-b99491782z1-302087691.html

I see a solid cornerback with a few minor shortcomings, which is what I'd expect with the third-to-last pick in the first round. Tackling comments seem more appropriate for his evaluation as a safety, and while I want everyone to tackle well, I'm less concerned if he's playing CB.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind that the pick was CB - what I mind is that the pick was a small guy, with a narrow frame, who can't tackle.

Randall, I don't care what he measured at - 5'10 7/8", 196 at the combine - a lot of scouts thought he added "fake weight" just for the combine.

He didn't play at over 185 lbs - and he played even smaller than that. Just a terrible, terrible tackler... we've had problems for years with soft players who can't tackle - Randall is certainly in that mold.

I'm just shocked that anyone would think this guy is a 1st round pick.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't mind that the pick was CB - what I mind is that the pick was a small guy, with a narrow frame, who can't tackle.

Randall, I don't care what he measured at - 5'10 7/8", 196 at the combine - a lot of scouts thought he added "fake weight" just for the combine.

He didn't play at over 185 lbs - and he played even smaller than that. Just a terrible, terrible tackler... we've had problems for years with soft players who can't tackle - Randall is certainly in that mold.

If many scouts and player personnel believe he is the "best cover guy" in the draft with 4.4 speed and the NFL is a "pass happy league" why would you be surprised that he would be a 1st round pick for a team like ours that lost two corners to free agency?

The way I see it is corners were coming off the board and ILB's aren't so TT had to pull the trigger on a guy that can come in and help right away in the "back end."

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy isn't the same player as Hyde. He is faster and has more acceleration in and out of cuts and better cover skills. Hyde lacks the speed and quick acceleration to play outside. Not to take anything away from Hyde but these two guys are two completely different types of players.
I made the comment in reference to his ability to tackle like Hyde from the nickel position. I was also still assuming he was more safety than CB at the time, like Hyde is being a tweener or sorts.... Hyde makes up for any shortcomings he has, by his great tackling. Should the day come where Hyde can make up the half step he is short of knocking the ball down, he will be great. Even as a mid round rookie tweener he's a definate starter... I see Randall being able to come in and make the same type of impact. Same as what Clinton-Dix has too!!! Guys ho can cover respectably, get turnovers, and make the tackle if they dont knock the ball don. BUT they also tackle everything else that comes near them. fast young tacklers we have besides our 3 established veterans Burnett, Sheilds, and Hayward. Who are pretty dang good themselves IMO...

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's one thing to just say - "he can't tackle"... It's another thing to put tape on and prove it.

He may have gotten credit for 106 tackles - but as one scout wrote, "... he's an ankle biter".

He really is a lousy tackler, lacks physicality - he has a very narrow frame, and plays even smaller than his stature. He's a nickel back that can't tackle.

A lot of scouts had him as 5th round - undrafted FA; but he ran well at the combine, and he played the ball very well at the Senior Bowl - hence TT jumps on him in the 1st round... this is a 'wow, just wow' pick.

It should be a hoot watching him try to tackle Alshon Jeffrey, Calvin Johnson, and Kevin White - let alone try to get an NFL RB on the ground after he breaks the LOS.

I was willing to give TT the benefit of the doubt - but after watching this guy on tape, he was a terrible pick. He may pan out to be an okay nickel back, but I doubt he can play outside, and he can't tackle my sister. This is the kind of pick that gets scouts and GM's fired - of course there is no danger of that in Green Bay, but this is not a good pick at all.

Senior Bowl is a good indicator of pro talent since theyre only competing with future NFL talent. Id say Randall is a weak tackler for a safety but probably projects as a solid to plus tackler as a cornerback.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/damarious-randall?id=2552389

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2061049/damarious-randall

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...2015-scouting-report-grade-for-packers-rookie

Looking at his draft profiles, tackling is listed as a weakness, but it's an exaggeration to call him a "terrible, terrible tackler."

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thought GB was going to take a DT there.

Oh and CJ thanks you for picking this guy ;) SO does Tate!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Senior Bowl is a good indicator of pro talent since theyre only competing with future NFL talent. Id say Randall is a weak tackler for a safety but probably projects as a solid to plus tackler as a cornerback.

Exactly, I think the initial reaction was why did TT draft a safety and he can't tackle, but Randall was really a corner playing safety last year as ASU defense needed there best player back there at the safety position because of what they do on defense. Tackling from the safety position is completely different then tackling from the corner position.

Unlike the Bradford situation last year where he was called an OLB immediately, TT has already come out and said he see's Randall as a corner.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This video is a year old. So this is his first year playing college football after having played only baseball the previous 2 years at a community college.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
This is after last season and you can see definite improvement in tackling.

The things that jump out are his horrible taste in music (I think he did the first clip). On the field he appears to be operating at a different gear than everyone else. Very quick and fast. Very willing tackler. Technique still needs work - but you can see the improvement over the 2 tapes. The reason he led the team in tackles is because he is so darn quick - he beats everyone else to the ball.

Packers got a very interesting player who is already effective - and still has a lot of upside.
That second video, its clear why TT didnt hesitate to pick this guy up. He does all the little things. He is smart, and physical, and quick/fast. Its the guys who catch the ball instead of knocking it down. Who runs it back for 6 when he does INT it, rather than go down right away. He is not only very quick/fast. He's in control while being quick/fast.... And the killer instinct to run plays down from behind, and to not shy away from tackling bigger players.... thats all up stairs, the burst to bounce back up and chase. The never give up attitude is a hard instinct to teach. You are either wired for it or not.

Reminds me of both Clinton-Dix, and Hyde. Only smaller, quicker, faster... He will fill out our secondary very nicely.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This pick came out of center-field (see what I did there) for many of us and the reaction to me is pretty predictable. For the most part people like things they know. Things they are familiar with. This kid is neither of those to most of us so asking questions is a natural part of the process and I get that. As I have documented I love the pick for numerous reasons. You have to love the swiss army skill-set DR. He was not only timed fast but actually looks the part on game tape. He showed steady progression as a tackler from his JR. to SR. season. He presents a legitimate return option on ST and my personal favorite ball skills, ball skills, ball skills! I get the questions about his height but here is my take. I would rather have a kid be 5'10" with upper level ball skills and aggressiveness rather a 6'1" guy with ok ball skills while being a tad tentative. Most of the write-ups I have perused speak to his mentality when it comes to 50/50 balls and how he sees the rock as his and not the WR's. His background as a centerfielder speaks to his ball tracking skills and ability to read and react on the fly. This is a fiery, athletic, ball-hawking kid that is going to make some head-turning plays for us and help solidify the back end. I also love the report that came out saying BB and the Pats wanted this kid at 32. I couldn't agree more with the poster who said everyone would be saying this kid is a future pro bowler has they selected him.

Moving on to today's picks I think we go either DL or ILB with both RD's 2 and 3. I can't see Kendricks falling that far but I suppose you never know and I also think Carl Davis may be an option if he is there come 62. I am really interested to see how the ILB's play out in RD 2 tonight. I think as soon as one of the good ones goes there may be a run on them and we all know TT may have a sleeper in mind with no intention of going ILB in that RD anyhow. Ted has a plan and I trust in that plan. I am looking forward to another good evening for our team and also look forward to reading how each of the picks suck. :) Have a killer day y'all and G P G!

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see how this plays out. Sounds like the staff pretty much all agreed on this pick so it tells me it isn't just one guys knee jerk reaction.

I see instant value with plenty of potential. It came out of left field but so what. Instead of being headless grouches, how bout some optimism here. After all. its not like any of us have any power to redo the pick anyway.

Perhaps we should be excited we have an upgrade to a dismal special teams unit that, as I remember, helped to keep us out of the SB just a few months ago. Add that to a versital DB who has the speed to track down mobile QB's who have been giving us fits now for a couple years. Our defense just got faster, and who knows if he doesn't become a long term starter for us...sooner, rather than later.

My thought after the initial 'huh?', its getting to look a whole lot smarter than what some folks make it out to be. Maybe even downright cagey. Give the guy a chance, maybe he's got a great Lambeau Leap we get to see a couple times a year...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im coming around to the "short" CB idea. I mean gut instinct. I dont want a built in handicap. If life was perfect, I'd have a couple guys that look and catch like Jordy Nelson, and tackle like a mini-Mathews.... But reality. I hate reality.

I relate it to my love for shorter RBs. Barry Sanders being the proto-type. Low center of balance. Legs like tree trunks to run through arm tackles. Can change direction , and be back up to full speed in 2 steps. more quick than fast...but fast is a big plus...

I would suspect, given a CB is reacting, unlike Jordy Nelson who has his steps planned from the snap. Change direction, and back to full speed in two steps..... Quicker than fast, with fast being a plus. Since 1 second of hesitation can mean 5 yds of being burnt in a pass route. Quickness is just as important as speed... I see many of the same traits desired from RB to CB, with power a premium at RB and speed for CB...... So in theory, the low center of gravity, and quick twitch quickness that smaller and shorter guys have, is very desirable CB traits....

Outward appearance seems lopsided when our 5'11 200 lb CB stands next to 6'5" 245 pound Megatron.... But the first goal is to get there before the ball does. Once that happens, we at least have a fighting chance! If we are the half step behind, thats when those big boys can hurt you...

note. I still prefer bigger CBs. Randall is 5'11 200 pounds as a rookie. Not small. Just not big :)

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand why you guys are pointing out how his playing center field in baseball would be helpful, but the only issue I take with it is that he didn't play center field, he was their shortstop. But in my opinion, that's even better. Shortstops have that quick twitch, fast reaction thing going for them. Center fielders chase down fly balls, which anyone with speed can do just fine. It doesn't really take any special skill outside of speed, a good arm, and basic baseball skills.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I just don't understand why we didn't go after Rowe if we wanted a CB. I know Randall was higher on the draft board, but Rowe looks good and has the size...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would venture to guess that anything that was said before the pick was put in, was due to Malcom Brown still being on the board..... I woke up thinking I wish we had picked Brown..... I like the Randall pick. Just think Brown would've been a bigger impact. With Raji, Guion, and Daniels all up for contracts next season, we could use a good prospect to replace one without a seam. And then we have a year where we are stacked on the D-line. Brown is a king size Daniels... Now the dang Pats have him... He will be their new Seymour...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s funny how widely opinions differ on some players. Not only where they should be taken in the draft but in the evaluation of their traits. That certainly is the case for Randall in spades. Some see him as a legit first rounder, others call him a mid-rounder, or worse. Some say he’s the worst tackler in the draft (Drew Boylhart - The Huddle Report) and others see him as a physical presence in the D backfield. I don’t know anything about Chase Goodbread (except a distant ancestor was probably a baker) but here’s what he had to say about Randall in a piece titled, 2015 NFL Draft: Five most physical defensive backs, on the nfl site:
4. Damarious Randall, Arizona State
Randall (5-11, 196) is the smallest player listed here, but he packs a serious punch as a tackler. This from his NFL.com draft profile: "Inspired effort as a tackler, racking up 177 tackles during two-year stint at Arizona State. Looks to punish. Explodes into targets and jolts his victims." That's about as glowing a review of a prospect's physicality as you'll find. As for his agility and quickness for pass coverage, his pro day gave him a chance to show NFL coaches he can do more than just stop ball carriers dead in their tracks.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-nfl-draft-five-most-physical-defensive-backs

So there you have it. He's either a legit first rounder or he should have stuck with baseball. He was either the worst tackler in college football or one of the most physical DBs. :confused:

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If many scouts and player personnel believe he is the "best cover guy" in the draft with 4.4 speed and the NFL is a "pass happy league" why would you be surprised that he would be a 1st round pick for a team like ours that lost two corners to free agency?

The way I see it is corners were coming off the board and ILB's aren't so TT had to pull the trigger on a guy that can come in and help right away in the "back end."

I don't mind going CB in round 1... CB is certainly a need.

Of course we are desperate at ILB - but that has been the case for years, and TT doesn't seem to care much one way or the other... So that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if TT didn't pick any ILB's in this draft.

It also doesn't surprise me that he picked a soft player, who doesn't like contact, and can't tackle. TT and the Packer organization view the game of football as a finesse game which only requires speed and "ball skills". That being the case, Randall makes perfect sense as the pick.

Unfortunately, the reality of the NFL is that WR's are 6'4", 230 lbs... so having a poor tackling, small, narrow framed defender in the back end is a serious problem.

I can easily envision this pip-squeak bouncing off Alshon Jeffrey and getting completely destroyed by Marshawn Lynch... or more likely, flailing at their ankles as they power down the field.

It just doesn't make any sense to me to take a guy in the 1st round whose ceiling is probably only that of a slot corner. There were a lot of good, much bigger, much tougher CB's available - but TT went with the finesse guy.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL he'll be 6ft tall by the end of the draft ;)

But yeah you could work him in as part of a CB package.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im coming around to the "short" CB idea.

note. I still prefer bigger CBs. Randall is 5'11 200 pounds as a rookie. Not small. Just not big :)

He's not that big... he measured under 5'11, and a lot of scouts thought that he added "fake weight" just for the combine.

He never played above 185 lbs, and he really doesn't have the frame to carry any more than that... in the work-a-day world of the NFL, he'll be playing somewhere in the 180's - and I fully expect that he's going to get completely run over by bigger receivers and RB's.

If we were playing flag football?? Yeah, I'm all in... but that isn't how the game is played at the NFL level.

He's not only small - he plays small, very small. Terrible, terrible tackler... just watch the tape - it can be hard to watch.

Watch the Oregon State tape... my God is he terrible!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not that big... he measured under 5'11, and a lot of scouts thought that he added "fake weight" just for the combine.

He never played above 185 lbs, and he really doesn't have the frame to carry any more than that... in the work-a-day world of the NFL, he'll be playing somewhere in the 180's - and I fully expect that he's going to get completely run over by bigger receivers and RB's.

If we were playing flag football?? Yeah, I'm all in... but that isn't how the game is played at the NFL level.

He's not only small - he plays small, very small. Terrible, terrible tackler... just watch the tape - it can be hard to watch.

his highlight clip looked exactly like the GB secondary. He will fit right in and do well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why do you just point out bad tape on him?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s Michael Rodney’s take on the pick (Packer Update is now Packers Notes). He listed CB as the Packers biggest need before the draft:
You can’t analyze a defensive back without seeing him live or watching him on the coaches tape, and since I did neither, I have no idea what kind of player first-round draft pick Damarious Randall will be in the National Football League. Nevertheless, I like this choice. Faced with selecting from a group of players (Malcom Brown, Eddie Goldman, Jordan Phillips, Stephone Anthony, Eric Kendricks, etc.) that would’ve been second-round picks in almost any other year, GM Ted Thompson rolled the dice on a young man with legitimate first-round talent. Randall is blessed with tremendous athletic ability. His 40 (4.46), 3-cone drill (6.83) and short shuttle (4.07) times were among the best at the NFL Combine in February.
http://packersnotes.com/2015/05/packers-draft-randall-at-30/

Add Thompson & staff's opinion that Randall is an instinctive football player to his combine numbers and whether or not you agree, that's why he was high on their board.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts