Defensive Rookie of the Year Re-Vote

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Byrd came in 2nd last year, shouldn't they just give it to him?

Cushing is still listed as a candidate so for all we know he could win it again. But I agree Byrd definitely deserves it.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But with the re-vote you Clay might get some of Cushings votes.. I think Byrd will get it, but it would be cool if Clay did.. IMO Cushing still deserves it and I hope he gets it again..

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive read the the majority of voters have already voted for Cushing again. That came from schefters twitter.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Byrd came in 2nd last year, shouldn't they just give it to him?

Not necessarily, the voters only vote for their first choice, not second, or third. So the voting might fall different. Think the opposite of the year Tim Tebow took second in heisman voting with the most first place votes.

I would assume they would be cautious to hand it to Cushing's teammate. Orakpo would be a great choice, but I agree that it looks like its Byrds.

PackerSlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, thats true, only the first place votes are counted. No matter what happens though, the eventual new winner will have that asterisk by his name because of the circumstances. Wouldnt be the same. I just think its cool that a Packer rookie, for once, is mentioned in the same breath as the others much less being in the top three. I sure hope he doesnt fall off this year too much.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But with the re-vote you Clay might get some of Cushings votes.. I think Byrd will get it, but it would be cool if Clay did.. IMO Cushing still deserves it and I hope he gets it again..
He still deserves it after ignorantly roiding his body up? Might want to reconsider that one.
Google his pictures, when he first got to USC he looked literally like a boy, and look at his pictures from his senior year.. Enough said, he deserves to be stripped of his title.
http://www.thedirty.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, thats true, only the first place votes are counted. No matter what happens though, the eventual new winner will have that asterisk by his name because of the circumstances. Wouldnt be the same. I just think its cool that a Packer rookie, for once, is mentioned in the same breath as the others much less being in the top three. I sure hope he doesnt fall off this year too much.

AJ Hawk finished second behind Demeco Ryans in DROY votes back in '06. I just hope Matthews doesn't end up as a one year wonder like Hawk.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Looks like Clay's getting at least one vote. Via Peter King's Tuesday column:
I'll spend the day considering my options, and I'm leaning toward Green Bay outside linebacker Clay Matthews as my revoted choice.

bravesman18

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Claaaayyy alll thhe waaaayyyy. The Bills?... they're still an NFL team?? I think not. :p

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I don't think clay matthews is the type of guy that would like to receive this award in this type of fashion, especially from his former teammate.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many voters changed their votes to CM3, why didnt he win? Im not sure how I feel about this story. 1 side of me is thinking that the media is blowing this out of proportion but the other is angry at Cushing and that he won again. He lost his all-pro position on the AP team because of this.

I think that last season is gone and forgotten in the eyes of most. Many people are looking forward to next season, hurting their ability to vote correctly. I feel that for this reason, many voters took the easy way out and voted to Cushing again. Oh well. When we win the Super Bowl this season and Cushing is sitting home, CM3 will be the true winner lol.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of them didnt like the idea of revoting since Peppers award wasnt revoted or Merrimans

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Alot of them didnt like the idea of revoting since Peppers award wasnt revoted or Merrimans
And I agree with that. It sets a dangerous precedent. If Cushing had lost, do we go back and revote everything that had a steroid connection linked to it? That would've been dumb.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard, from a reliable source, that Favre was considered for the award. But he was disclassified because you have to PLAY on defense, rather than just HELP it...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This entire re-vote is a joke if the guy who got caught cheating was still eligible for the award this go-around. The NFL should be giving out these kinds of individual post season awards like MLB does and not these media folks. :nono:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts