Defensive Coordinator Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering that the last REO was produced before you and I were even considered... I'd say you're right. I'd also say the entire band's make up are imposters - even Cronin ... who isn't an original and is largely responsible for their 80's pop personna ... belly rubbin' music I say! PAH!!!
Whatever, the vehicle may be old but I was thinking about taking a round-a-bout.

Reaction score
I updated the OP to reflect the names that have been announced for interviews and/or mentioned as guys to watch by media.

I'm intrigued by Babich and Parker.
Babich was one of the first to collect my interest. I’m a little reserved on Parker more due to his age, but that’s just my opinion. I’d want to see Parker gain another 2-3 years experience or fill in the resume a little more before that hire.

I do like the idea of our DC coming from a very successful program. Learning from the best often leads to similar habits and processes. The Bills D has been very consistently good. Since Babich landed with his Father under Leslie Frazier, the D has ranged in points allowed
#16, #2, #18, #4, #2,#1,#2
Or a Top #6-7 average Ranking spanning the latest seven seasons.

Babich’s next logical step is becoming DC and I like he’s in that peer group age of Matt and it’s a definitive subordinate role to our Coach, (he’s not a former HC etc). The fact he’s got Coaching Pedigree is icing.

Last edited:

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it's not Parker. Terrible hire IMO. The Packers can...and should...do better.

It's also disappointing not to see Leonhard being reported as a candidate. Unless he was contacted and said no.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I hope it's not Parker. Terrible hire IMO. The Packers can...and should...do better.

It's also disappointing not to see Leonhard being reported as a candidate. Unless he was contacted and said no.

Why would Parker be a terrible hire?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Leonhard - Not sure if it holds true in the NFL but in business if you interview and then turn down a promotion - you often don’t get asked again.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At best we can say we would prefer someone with more experience. But, unless we know him, how would any of us know his capabilities? Packers are likely talking to guys he coached, guys he coached for and those who worked on the same staff.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would Parker be a terrible hire?
Not much experience. Has only coached defensive backs.

The Packers are coming up on a window where they can be legitimate Super Bowl contenders. We don't need a DC that is learning on the job.

Maybe he will be a good DC....4-5 years from now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

The Packers are coming up on a window where they can be legitimate Super Bowl contenders. We don't need a DC that is learning on the job.

So like Barry and Pettine...they had ton of experience.

But Holmgren, Sherman, and Matt didn't have a ton of OC seasons b4 HC. And that worked out

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think Parker has the necessary experience to make the leap to a coordinator position, he’s got a couple years coaching Dbacks and that’s it. He’s probably a smart guy, but would prefer to hire a person with a more well rounded resume, and a bit more connections to fill a talented defensive staff.

Personally, I’m rooting for Babich.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't be any worse than hiring a 50 some year old who had no clue how to run a defense. I would take a younger guy who is more clued in on the new trends and is willing adjust his scheme. Parker is a smart up and coming guy. Alot of other teams are also interested in him.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I understand the criticism that he lacks experience.

However, it's not true that good DC's necessarily need a long runway for development. It certainly can happen that way, but there are a lot of examples of guys being good immediately (examples below). I would actually argue that if a guy needs 4+ seasons to get it figured out, he probably isn't ever going to be good (but I haven't done all of the research to be definitive about that).

-Mike Macdonald (2022-- #3 scoring defense)
-Brandon Staley (2020-- #1 scoring defense)
-DeMeco Ryans (2021-- #12 scoring defense)
-Dan Quinn (2013-- #1 scoring defense)
-Vic Fangio (1995-- #7 scoring defense)
-Todd Bowles (2013-- #7 scoring defense)
-Matt Eberflus (2018-- #10 scoring defense)

I have no idea if Parker would be the kind of guy to succeed immediately. He may need a season or he may not. But history would say that his lack of experience in no way dooms him to mediocrity.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like the decision might have been made, but what about Dave Merritt? Dude has worked wonders for the Chief's secondary and the Spags tree has me intrigued.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It sounds like the decision might have been made, but what about Dave Merritt? Dude has worked wonders for the Chief's secondary and the Spags tree has me intrigued.

I’ve read that Merritt has committed to staying put until his kids are done with high school. Which stinks because he’d be a stellar candidate.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Parker rumor was wrong. If he was offered and accepted, I think the Packers would have announced it by now. Or more reliable insiders would have confirmed.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is where you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt. I had read a few days ago that Staley was not even so much going to be considered for an interview, and yet here he is. Another article I read was the problem with Staley was his schemes were way too complex and he was far too detailed oriented, every single detail at every position on every play, and the players complained that it was too complex and confusing and slowed them down. Other articles rave about the guy being a defensive genius. We'll see how the interview goes. But if he is a generational defensive mind and it's better off as a DC than a head coach, he's got to be seriously considered.

This is an important decision and I think MLF needs to hire someone he trust to completely have control over the Defense and allow MLF to handle the Offense and subsequent duties as HC.

I was interested in younger proven candidates considering the youth of the current roster, but I think Staley could bring authority to a Defense that truly needs it…

This is an important hire for the viability of the MLF era. If Staley is indeed as detail oriented as you stated, then his supporting staff should raise the level of play from an underwhelming unit.

I would be ok with it…

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the Parker rumor was wrong. If he was offered and accepted, I think the Packers would have announced it by now. Or more reliable insiders would have confirmed.

It could be, but the league could also have asked them to wait to announce until today (after the playoff games).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be, but the league could also have asked them to wait to announce until today (after the playoff games).
My hunch is that and I heard from someone that Parker wanted to discuss staff and there is one guy he wants to confirm will come before accepting. I was given no specific name of course, but will be curious if this is ever learned to be true or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.