Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'd be only interested in one of the following:

Phil Bengston
Buddy Ryan
Chuck Knoll
Fritz Shurmur
Yeah. As long as you’re calling up Fritz and Buddy? give Vince a shout out from me also :whistling:

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't count on it. The Jets offensive woes go beyond not having Rodgers (I question how much difference he would have made anyway with their OL). Jets fans are particularly fickle and have turned their back on their team many times over the years with poor attendance and unsold season tickets. They keep a finger on the pulse of their fanbase and if enough fans call for guys to be fired, they often fold under that pressure. Jets fans seem to want him gone more every week. If they lose their final 3 games, which include Washington and NE, don't be surprised if Saleh is gone. Hell, if they get blown out this week he might be gone by Monday.
I wonder if Rodgers avoided that injury if he would have incurred another one. At least those QBs in there now can take off to avoid a hit some of the time.

Reaction score
That's too bad as MLF is very defensive about Joe not being defensive enough.
Yes he sure has. If the Defense of one another in our Coaching staff could bleed over onto the Field?
We’d be the 49ers.

I’m going to offer something though. No team can operate with a bunch of (at best) good backup players off the bench. We walked Amos and lead with an injured Savage. That in itself was dangerous. Couple that by playing without 2 of 3 (to 3 of 3) of our starting CB’s. Subtract that from any team in this league and expect to have problems.
We made a choice. We traded Rasul because we looked to be in a free fall as a roster in order to add an extra good Defender through the draft. That also would allow a nice $Capital$ offset. You pay a guy $1m instead of $7m. A few moves like that and you can go get a dynamic player in FA + add a 2nd player in that Day1-2 area. Then get another starter activated from IR and suddenly 2024 looks much different.

I say that because this D secondary was actually a product of pretty substantial injuries + a look to build for the following season. No DC is going to thrive in that scenario. This is not to say I’m endorsing Barry. He’s too passive in general and he’s spoke that in his own words.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Added a name high on the list: Ryan Nielsen, current DC in Atlanta.

His personnel isn't awful, but it's pretty mediocre. They are currently 8th in points per game allowed and 9th in points per drive. Some might argue that they're protected by the Falcons' rush-first offense, but Atlanta's offense in general and rushing offense in particular actually suck this season.

If he gets let go because of Smith's failures, he would be a slam dunk hire.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preferred Candidates:

-Robert Saleh, HC, Jets:
Saleh does not deserve to be fired, but if he's scapegoated he would be a dream hire.

Deserve? He is 16-32. At some point, your record matters. That said, I'd take him as DC in a heartbeat.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that I have had time to think about it..the best time to make that move will be once the season is over. It doesn't make sense to put a new guy in charge with 3 games left, only to can him after those 3 games. You also have from the beginning of May- September to get these guys up to speed on the new system.
I think Lafleur will clean house..some of these guys are holdover from pettines staff.
I do hope it is a young guy from one of Bal. S.F, Dallas, Philly, Buffalo staff!
By George, I think you got it! :)

The only option would to give the job to one of the assistants, and quite frankly, I don't see anyone in the group that's already there, who would be a step up.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Added a name high on the list: Ryan Nielsen, current DC in Atlanta.

His personnel isn't awful, but it's pretty mediocre. They are currently 8th in points per game allowed and 9th in points per drive. Some might argue that they're protected by the Falcons' rush-first offense, but Atlanta's offense in general and rushing offense in particular actually suck this season.

If he gets let go because of Smith's failures, he would be a slam dunk hire.
A couple of points. Saleh is one of those defensive geniuses whose ability to direct an entire program kind of sucks. There's a lot of guys out there like that. In all honesty, I'm not certain he'd take the job next year if he's canned. The reason is because with Murphy retiring before the 2025 season, the entire football hierarchy could be replaced. It would only be a one year stint, and swept out the door with the rest of them.

Right now, I'm not certain how many of the assistant coaches will get a contract renewal for 2024.

Reaction score
This isn’t anything personal but and it’s time. Time to allow a DC who can bring in a new culture to GB. We’ve got to stop holding onto an old love that’s flamed out and go out and find something better. It’s the perfect time for a major change like this. That might be the only positive here

The Old Roster is out and we are metamorphosing into a Butterfly. Time to have courage and leave the old Cocoon behind. Time to Fly. Let’s REO onto Center Stage

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Zad Fnark

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen some noise about getting Belichick for the job. Don't know if he would.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple things...

Saleh from a who I LOVE....my biggest worry is the fact that folks know and realize MLF's friendship with Barry is why he hasn't been canned yet. If Robert comes in and it doesn't work, MLF will face being fired before he could look Saleh in the eyes and fire him.

Does or should Ron Rivera get a call? Everyone expects that now that he got Commanders through the ownership turmoil and such they'll move on...he's led some fairly solid or been apart of staffs of rather good defenses in his past?
Rivera might be one of those guys who makes a far better DC than HC.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In general, I think the Packers need to find someone who is more of a gameplan DC than a system DC.

Meaning they should find someone who is really good at teaching and can install a variety of coverages and fronts and tailor the defense to the opponent. This is as opposed to a system DC who just runs a certain style of defense that may or may not be particularly effective in a given era.

For example, Pete Carroll can adapt his defense to personnel and opponent. Gus Bradley, off the same tree, really can't. He's still running basically the same cover 3/1 stuff from the legion of boom era in Seattle even though league offenses solved it 10X over. He's a system guy.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This isn’t anything personal but and it’s time. Time to allow a DC who can bring in a new culture to GB. We’ve got to stop holding onto an old love that’s flamed out and go out and find something better. It’s the perfect time for a major change like this. That might be the only positive here

The Old Roster is out and we are metamorphosing into a Butterfly. Time to have courage and leave the old Cocoon behind. Time to Fly. Let’s REO onto Center Stage

Yeah, I'm with ya, but since MLF isn't going to do anything for now and there's 3 games for Wazzizname to F-up, I present, for your consideration ... some REAL REO .. no top 40 belly-rubbin' stuff for this guy as we're Ridin' the Storm Out:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
IMPOSTERS.. The original REO Speedwagon (Some consider it the first true pickup truck:)
Considering that the last REO was produced before you and I were even considered... I'd say you're right. I'd also say the entire band's make up are imposters - even Cronin ... who isn't an original and is largely responsible for their 80's pop personna ... belly rubbin' music I say! PAH!!!

Reaction score
Former NFL Player, Anthony Weaver, currently with the Baltimore Ravens staffi is another option.
Now I have no idea if he’s got ties to anyone on our staff, but he’s rose through the coaching ranks and he’s been successful both in his own playing career and he’s coached on some really great Defenses. Baltimore has had a long history of finding exceptional Defensive coaches. He’s also at that ideal age (43) to take a singular role as standalone DC on a young, ascending team. He’s also coached alongside Bobby Babich and probably could lure some good assistant coaches to come here.

Although I suspect he might be offered a HC position inside a few years, idk where he’s at but I’d reach out sometimes you get lucky

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.