Defense under Barry

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So strange seeing people fret over an offense that's currently 7th in DVOA, and that includes that awful game against the Saints. Kind of goes to show just how high expectations are for this offense; "top-10? Not good enough!!! It must be top-3!!!"

As for Barry's defense? Only downside I can find is that it's going to make re-signing Campbell REALLY difficult.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure about you guys. But I’m not nearly as agitated during super low scoring games. Such as 0-0 or 6-3 at halftime. It’s much more stressful when we are both just scoring at will because it’s like it’s a false sense of security? Anyway a Wins a Win.
:tup:
It seems those games come down to whoever has the ball last and that doesn't feel like being the better team.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
must hate Gafry is a stud...half joking, but need to admit you were very wrong with all your gary hate

Packers OLB Rashan Gary wants to brace elbow, try to play vs. Vikings​

judging by how severe the injury was described and by what seems most Packer injuries this season have cost lots of games, I jumped to to the conclusion that the grusome injury would be severe. Glad that isn't the case. By all accounts so far, Rashon Gary handles himself with class and is a good team player. While you don't wish injury on any player, you especially don't want good guys to go down.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hes got these guys playing at the peak of their abilities and deserves a ton of credit. Also because he was a failed HC and older he might be able to stick around a while as a DC giving us a really nice HC/DC combo for years to come.

Just for the record, Barry was never a head coach at any level.

With this defense (if it doesn't decline) I see no issue with Love not being able to win a championship. All he has to do is not turn the ball over...very Wisconsin Badgers football-esque

The Badgers haven't won a championship since 1942 and if Love doesn't significantly improve over his performance in KC the Packers won't win one with him as starting quarterback either no matter how well the defense plays.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's going on with this defense? It looked so good mid-season, really from weeks 6 to 10. Since then it's gotten repeatedly shredded. 28.8 PPG, 374 YPG allowed since week 11. Not great numbers at all. I didn't expect the defense to completely dominate opponents as it did during the mid-season stretch (11.6 PPG, 297 YPG) but it's gotten much worse than I thought it would. This really needs to go ironed out or it'll cost us a playoff game. The Browns moved the ball us on at will today and if Baker made just a couple of better decisions, we'd have easily lost.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not swarming to the ball like we were. And we are not playing tight. Maybe teams are spreading us out. Dont know what to say about run D. That huge hole on our left side was open every time.

Reaction score
What's going on with this defense? It looked so good mid-season, really from weeks 6 to 10. Since then it's gotten repeatedly shredded. 28.8 PPG, 374 YPG allowed since week 11. Not great numbers at all. I didn't expect the defense to completely dominate opponents as it did during the mid-season stretch (11.6 PPG, 297 YPG) but it's gotten much worse than I thought it would. This really needs to go ironed out or it'll cost us a playoff game. The Browns moved the ball us on at will today and if Baker made dust a couple of better decisions, we'd have easily lost.
I agree with all of the above, but at least they got some interceptions today.
And don't forget our great special teams,
If the playoff's started next week, we would be a good team, not a great team.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our problem stems from not having outside containment. We aren't getting edge protection like we should. As a consequence, we're moving players to adjust for that loss, and end up with the middle being soft against both the run, and passes between the hash marks, up to about 10-12 yards. With some modifications, and getting the outside men to understand what edge integrity means, we should be fine. Unless we do, someone is going to put up some big numbers against our defense and it will be the end of our run for a ring. If you look back, that's been a problem we've had for a while now in post season.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's going on with this defense? It looked so good mid-season, really from weeks 6 to 10. Since then it's gotten repeatedly shredded. 28.8 PPG, 374 YPG allowed since week 11. Not great numbers at all. I didn't expect the defense to completely dominate opponents as it did during the mid-season stretch (11.6 PPG, 297 YPG) but it's gotten much worse than I thought it would. This really needs to go ironed out or it'll cost us a playoff game. The Browns moved the ball us on at will today and if Baker made dust a couple of better decisions, we'd have easily lost.
Right. A better QB beats us. And Baker had not practiced in several weeks. Ironic. We held Dalvin Cook in check in Minnesota but we cannot stop other RBs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our problem stems from not having outside containment. We aren't getting edge protection like we should. As a consequence, we're moving players to adjust for that loss, and end up with the middle being soft against both the run, and passes between the hash marks, up to about 10-12 yards. With some modifications, and getting the outside men to understand what edge integrity means, we should be fine. Unless we do, someone is going to put up some big numbers against our defense and it will be the end of our run for a ring. If you look back, that's been a problem we've had for a while now in post season.
Yes. I was surprised how we got beat on the outside and the cutbacks. That indicates that your LBs are out of position or just plain too slow.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giving up 8.75 yards per carry today vs the Browns was reminiscent of the blowout nfccg against the niners. If Mayfield doesn't suck, this game would've been a thrashing. Do the Packers look like a championship team? or are they a slightly better than average team that has had some luck winning close games that will get stomped in the playoffs? For the Packers to not repeat their past playoff debacles, their defense is going to need to pull out of its slump pronto.

Reaction score
Giving up 8.75 yards per carry today vs the Browns was reminiscent of the blowout nfccg against the niners. If Mayfield doesn't suck, this game would've been a thrashing. Do the Packers look like a championship team? or are they a slightly better than average team that has had some luck winning close games that will get stomped in the playoffs? For the Packers to not repeat their past playoff debacles, their defense is going to need to pull out of its slump pronto.
We desperately need reinforcements by playoffs. J’aire would help substantially in shoring up the Secondary.
ZaDarius would be greatly welcomed to stress their passing game.

However I don’t know what we can do stop that type of embarrassing performance. Our D got gashed for 28 1st downs and 409 yards. A slightly better team in the passing game would’ve lit us up for 500+ yards. Cleveland nearly Doubled our Run production.
We were fortunate that Gary and Preston got some leverage and Mayfield stunk it up.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Why are the DB's pointing and looking lost? Reminds me of the later Capers era. The backfield kept getting confused, not covering players, leaving their zones.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt, just and old fashioned a** kicking by the Browns o line. 5 straight bad defensive performances doesn't bode well for the playoffs. Very doubtful any of the injured players are coming back to help the team. Either they turn it around next week or the playoffs will be another debacle.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We desperately need reinforcements by playoffs. J’aire would help substantially in shoring up the Secondary.
ZaDarius would be greatly welcomed to stress their passing game.

However I don’t know what we can do stop that type of embarrassing performance. Our D got gashed for 28 1st downs and 409 yards. A slightly better team in the passing game would’ve lit us up for 500+ yards. Cleveland nearly Doubled our Run production.
We were fortunate that Gary and Preston got some leverage and Mayfield stunk it up.
Getting Jaire back would be huge. I think he's the most critical player we need to come back. Jaire would shore up the pass defense and allow us to put more players upfront if we are having a hard time stopping the run, like tonight.

Reaction score
Getting Jaire back would be huge. I think he's the most critical player we need to come back. Jaire would shore up the pass defense and allow us to put more players upfront if we are having a hard time stopping the run, like tonight.
I agree with that. Jaire would allow us to bring Amos up more against better Rushing teams. It sounds backwards, but I get it.
In addition J’aire would be our #1. He pushes each CB down our depth chart. Stokes would become the #2, Rasul #3, Kevin #4, Sullivan #5 and so on. Our pass rush is good, not great, but sufficient if we have a healthy J’aire on the field.
That said. I still think he’ll be back for playoffs. I think they are allowing him as much time as possible in an abundance of caution.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense also needs to stop shutting down in the 4th quarter. Suddenly it looks like special teams is our best unit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right. A better QB beats us. And Baker had not practiced in several weeks. Ironic. We held Dalvin Cook in check in Minnesota but we cannot stop other RBs.

I agree the run defense was abysmal against the Browns but you need to consider that they lead the league in yards per attempt.

The Packers need to improve to be successful in the playoffs though.

Suddenly it looks like special teams is our best unit.

That's a joke, isn't it???

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
No doubt, just and old fashioned a** kicking by the Browns o line. 5 straight bad defensive performances doesn't bode well for the playoffs. Very doubtful any of the injured players are coming back to help the team. Either they turn it around next week or the playoffs will be another debacle.
You and I watched the same game and came to the same realization. The Browns owned the line of scrimmage yesterday. Offensively, there isn't much you can say other than the Browns have been superior all season and the Pack have been making due - the Pack's O-line coach should be Knighted - the O-line has been decimated so long that I can't even name the original starting front five.

Defensively? Well, you all saw the same game I did. Here's to hoping that Barry has been playing vanilla, "let's just get by" defensive schemes to lull potential playoff opponents into a false sense of security - pigs flying and all that. Oddly though ... I think it's somewhat disquieting that the two bodies inside #52 for the last 20+ years are sort of the same guy except that the first #52 was a little more adept at trailing the play AFTER he broke contain. The second #52 seems to be able to be able to raise a little more hell in making the pocket fall apart, but in doing so ends up driven out of the play.

Yesterday's showing will not wash against even the Vikings next week, regardless of what happens today against the Rams.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Why are the DB's pointing and looking lost? Reminds me of the later Capers era. The backfield kept getting confused, not covering players, leaving their zones.

Opposing teams now have a substantial amount of game film on the Joe Barry Packers defense. I would guess opposing OCs have enough information to see what confuses the Packers defense and how to exploit weaknesses. Time for Joe to earn his pay by eliminating some of this confusion or it's going to be a short post season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking Barry needs to coach up Rashan (and probably Preston) so that he mixes up his pass rush technique. Seems like he goes for the inside rush too often. Always lowering his head and going for it 100%. And that is allowing a rushing QB to sprint to the outside and/or letting the sweep get by him. That hole on our left side off tackle (I think) was just too open and all the time. Mix up the full on rush with the sit back for a second and look.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s especially concerning when our 4th quarter collapses occur when we‘re up a couple of scores - having the game in hand and just folding up - both defense and offense. Same as last week against the ravens. Went soft on D and gave up quick “garbage time“ scores before its actually even garbage time. No way will we get away with that in the playoffs against a top offense & QB.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s especially concerning when our 4th quarter collapses occur when we‘re up a couple of scores - having the game in hand and just folding up - both defense and offense. Same as last week against the ravens. Went soft on D and gave up quick “garbage time“ scores before its actually even garbage time. No way will we get away with that in the playoffs against a top offense & QB.
It is annoying. We can't even gloat with a 17 point lead under 10 minutes! Seriously! We just seem to have a problem going for the kill.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Barry needs to coach up Rashan (and probably Preston) so that he mixes up his pass rush technique. Seems like he goes for the inside rush too often. Always lowering his head and going for it 100%. And that is allowing a rushing QB to sprint to the outside and/or letting the sweep get by him. That hole on our left side off tackle (I think) was just too open and all the time. Mix up the full on rush with the sit back for a second and look.
I don't see Rashan losing contain as much as his replacement while he's on the bench. Those were the big back breakers. When Gary was on the field the edge rushes were much shorter.

Members online

Latest posts