Defense under Barry

D

Deleted member 6794

It does appear that way lately. The Seattle game was a wonderful display of teamwork but the Cleveland game...well...looked like a high school pre-season defense with all their confusion and isolations

It seems the Packers defense gets in trouble against teams with a good running game. The Seahawks don't present a threat in that regard this year.

The Packers are going to see a lot of teams gearing up for the run in the playoffs as well as taking a page from Baltimore and double teaming Adams.

Teams have been double teaming Adams all season long. Fortunately that hasn't been working for most opponents.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me a lot of the problems are with containment and GAP responsibilities. There are a couple of big runs to Gary side where he ended up in Clarks Gap. Should be correctable and coachable stuff.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recognize that most of the starters were on the bench in the second half, but the defense just looked bad today. It really got torched. Totally unprepared for the wrinkles the Lions' offense used. Holes all across the secondary. It's concerning.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I wouldn’t panic yet, I haven’t been impressed much by our defense this season and think there should be some concern heading into the playoffs. Takeaways have been the defensive bright spot and have helped us to a large extent, but when there are no takeaways, our chances of winning become much slimmer becaue of our struggles to stop teams from scoring. It’s pretty obvious that all it’s going to take is just one trick play in a close game to knock us out of contention. Does anyone think opposing coaches won’t be pulling every trick play out of their bag when they face us?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I wouldn’t panic yet, I haven’t been impressed much by our defense this season and think there should be some concern heading into the playoffs. Takeaways have been the defensive bright spot and have helped us to a large extent, but when there are no takeaways, our chances of winning become much slimmer becaue of our struggles to stop teams from scoring. It’s pretty obvious that all it’s going to take is just one trick play in a close game to knock us out of contention. Does anyone think opposing coaches won’t be pulling every trick play out of their bag when they face us?
I've always been a bit skeptical of defenses that rely too heavily on takeaways because if you go against a team that takes care of the ball, you can get into a lot of trouble. There's a degree of randomness to turnovers that I don't think exists as much with defenses that are more balanced and are better at limiting yardage. That was our issue in 2011. The only reason the defense held up in the season was due to all the INTs it had. But it floundered when we lost the turnover battle against the Giants in the playoffs.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't read anything into today's game. It was nothing more than a glorified practice for the Packers, and if you watched closely, they were experimenting with people in different positions on defense, and gave a lot of 2nd line players a lot of field time, starting in the first half. Their #1 priority was to avoid injury, and get some of the players who have been injured, a little field time to get their feet on the ground before the playoffs.

We still have home field advantage, and in two weeks, we should be in pretty good physical condition.

As far as Love, he had good and bad moments. Let it ride. He's still learning the NFL game. As to how good he's going to be, that's still a question that needs to be answered.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its time to panic nor do I think today's game can be chalked up to resting players since the problems we saw today have been a big problem over the past 6-7 games. The defense is giving up too many big plays and pass rush too often fails to come up with the drive killing sack. Hopefully, adding Campbell, Alexander and Keke will make a difference, otherwise, I don't see this defense holding teams under 30 points if the trends aren't reversed.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its time to panic nor do I think today's game can be chalked up to resting players since the problems we saw today have been a big problem over the past 6-7 games. The defense is giving up too many big plays and pass rush too often fails to come up with the drive killing sack. Hopefully, adding Campbell, Alexander and Keke will make a difference, otherwise, I don't see this defense holding teams under 30 points if the trends aren't reversed.
So you don’t think having both of the starting edge rushers as well as your best interior lineman sitting on the bench watching the game affected the pass rush? How about the fact that Sullivan and King were often the best corners on the field?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you don’t think having both of the starting edge rushers as well as your best interior lineman sitting on the bench watching the game affected the pass rush? How about the fact that Sullivan and King were often the best corners on the field?
I'm not considering today's game only. Fair to say that the defense has been giving up big plays and the sack numbers are modest at best. 40 in 17 games is mediocre. No wonder why the defense has given up 28 or more points to the Bears. Vikings, Rams, Ravens and now the Lions in the past 7 weeks. Needless to say, the defense is entering the playoffs on shaky ground.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I wouldn’t panic yet, I haven’t been impressed much by our defense this season and think there should be some concern heading into the playoffs.

The defense had a stretch during the season when they performed at an elite level. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case over the past few weeks.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The starting defense other than Campbell played the first half and got torched by a 2-13-1 team. In the second half, Gary and Smith went out but the rest of the starters were in there so I don't think you can place blame for the terrible performance on starters sitting. It would be great if the team was peaking heading into the playoffs but this team reminds me of the 2011 squad with a faltering defense that got torched by a bad Lions team heading into a bye. The 2011 team had an exceptional offense and better special teams so Joe Barry had better get the defense on track quick or we are looking at another playoff debacle.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The starting defense other than Campbell played the first half and got torched by a 2-13-1 team. In the second half, Gary and Smith went out but the rest of the starters were in there so I don't think you can place blame for the terrible performance on starters sitting. It would be great if the team was peaking heading into the playoffs but this team reminds me of the 2011 squad with a faltering defense that got torched by a bad Lions team heading into a bye. The 2011 team had an exceptional offense and better special teams so Joe Barry had better get the defense on track quick or we are looking at another playoff debacle.
still not true… Clark was out.. Devondre Campbell was out the entire game. Most of the second half featured Kevin King and Sullivan at corner etc…

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still not true… Clark was out.. Devondre Campbell was out the entire game. Most of the second half featured Kevin King and Sullivan at corner etc…
There were more that didn't play than those two as well. Wasn't Preston in street clothes?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were more that didn't play than those two as well. Wasn't Preston in street clothes?
yeah you have to follow the entire thread… that was my original point to him… he was claiming that only Gary and Smith were out While my original reply to him was that pretty much the entire starting defense was out in the second half.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah you have to follow the entire thread… that was my original point to him… he was claiming that only Gary and Smith were out While my original reply to him was that pretty much the entire starting defense was out in the second half.
It reminded me of a preseason game.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011 is a good comparison. The final game of 2011 gave up 41 points to Detroit. This season our offense isn't firing on all cylinders like that year. We really need to score 40+ points per game to have enough buffer to make up for our defensive and ST deficiencies.

Reaction score
I know we constantly cycled players in at Defense to limit injury exposure, but boy was MLF hot when asked about the D performance (or lack thereof). He’s a nice guy, but I can assure based on Matt’s response to a reporter, Barry and his staff got a mouthful at some point after the Lions game. As he should.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we constantly cycled players in at Defense to limit injury exposure, but boy was MLF hot when asked about the D performance (or lack thereof). He’s a nice guy, but I can assure based on Matt’s response to a reporter, Barry and his staff got a mouthful at some point after the Lions game. As he should.
I suspect the defense biting on two gadget plays where the only thing necessary to stop them would have been for one DB to have done his job and stay in coverage… really ticked Lefleur off. Any High school DB should know not to let a receiver run free simply because the ball had been handed off.

Reaction score
A head coach shouldn't have to baby-sit for a defensive coach if the defense is playing poorly.
Those coaches need to do their job, if not, fire their *****.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't read anything into today's game. It was nothing more than a glorified practice for the Packers, and if you watched closely, they were experimenting with people in different positions on defense, and gave a lot of 2nd line players a lot of field time, starting in the first half. Their #1 priority was to avoid injury, and get some of the players who have been injured, a little field time to get their feet on the ground before the playoffs.

We still have home field advantage, and in two weeks, we should be in pretty good physical condition.

As far as Love, he had good and bad moments. Let it ride. He's still learning the NFL game. As to how good he's going to be, that's still a question that needs to be answered.
I am so not a football expert. But that being said, nothing about Love gives me any optimism. To me he looks scared. Like he still doesn't know what to do. I think back about Flynn. Although he was not starting QB material. In certain situations he could handle himself. He certainly was comfortable in the Packers system. Love does not look comfortable. Just my .02.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From weeks 4-10, they gave up an average of 13.8 ppg. They have scuffled the last few weeks, but it's a long season. This is still a capable defense. With a week to rest up and heal along with the return of Alexander and possibly Z Smith, I expect them to bring their A-game. More focused and assignment sure.

This is a better defense than last year. Inside LB play is much improved, as is CB play. Kevin King isn't going to be starting this time. Gary has been one of the best rushers and Clark is still a beast in the middle. I am concerned about the regression of Savage. They need to get him coached up. This can be a championship defense.The talent is there.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so not a football expert. But that being said, nothing about Love gives me any optimism. To me he looks scared. Like he still doesn't know what to do. I think back about Flynn. Although he was not starting QB material. In certain situations he could handle himself. He certainly was comfortable in the Packers system. Love does not look comfortable. Just my .02.
Good observations. I'm not in the slightest bit optimistic about him either. A QB arrives when he begins to control what happens on the field, and isn't just reacting to it.

That comfort is so obvious with Rodgers. He knows he's controlling the game.

Members online

Latest posts