1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Danish Cheesehead coming to Green Bay for the Falcons game

Discussion in 'The Green Bay Life' started by fcs, Aug 27, 2013.

1. fcs

fcs Danish Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everybody,

My name is Peter and I have been a cheesehead since I first saw the Packers play at Milwaukee County Stadium in 1991. I live in Denmark (the country in Northern Europe, not the town in Wisconsin) and it looks like I will be able to go to Lambeau for the Falcons game in December.

I am getting extremely excited... and then I started looking for hotel rooms. I will probably be arriving on the 6th in the late evening and leave again on the 9th. Do you have any recommendations as to where I can stay. I am open to basic accomodations, hotels, Bed and Breakfast, even private homes with a spare room ;o)

Another thing I would like to do is to tailgate with ordinary local Packer Fans - do people buy tickets to the tailgate parties or do you just strike up conversations with people in the parking lot?

Hoping for a little help - thanks in advance

Best regards,

Peter Braun

2. Lakedog

Lakedog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    Great Dane- you're going to have a day you'll remember forever. I've taken a few moves around the country and can tell you that 'Cheddars' are the friendliest people in the US. (I grew up in Point... 2 hrs west of hallowed ground.) No, you don't need to buy tix to tailgate. Just start talking and you'll be a hit. I recommend bringing some snack food from home to share. You'll be offered more brats than you can eat.

You should stay at my brother's. hey everybody, want his number?!

3. fcs

fcs Danish Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Lakedog,

Thanks for your answer - I'll definately bring some snacks from home to share ;o) Now, it may be my lack of understanding of the american language, but were you being ironinc about staying at your brothers?

Best regards,

Peter

4. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +818
    Hi Peter,

I've been in Green Bay for a Packers game twice, be aware of nearly unaffordable hotel rates on game weekends.
    Its crazy.:eek:;)
    You can save a lot of money when you're staying at a hotel outside of Green Bay. Last year I stayed in Appleton, the year before in Oshkosh.
    If money isnt an issue I can recommend Cambria Suites, close to Lambeau Field.:tup:

5. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,168
    Is it a Great Western hotel on the road opposite Lambeau field ?

6. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +818
    I guess you mean the Best Western Bill, dont you ?
    The Best Western is only a short walk away of the Cambria Suites and right across the Don Hutson Center.
    Both Hotels are close to Oneida Street and beneath of Lambeau Field.

7. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +2,168
    My mistake. It was the Best Western I stayed at. I remember the Hutson centre. You are right though, the cost was astronomical.

8. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +818
    Both hotels are perfectly located but as you wrote - astronomical rates. During the week me and my wife always stayed at Cambria Suites and moved to another hotel outside of Green Bay for the game weekend. That saves you a lot of money.

9. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +2,168
    I stayed at the Days Inn hotel too in the October when I went to the game. Now THAT was a nice hotel and the staff were fantastically pleasant and helpful.

10. gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89 Bleeding Green and Gold

Ratings:
    +192
    If you want to tailgate meet us at sidelines sports bar about 4 hours before the game we will be rocking out.

11. fcs

fcs Danish Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all you excelent pieces of advice. Last time, I stayed at the Best Western some of you were talking about. It was for a pre-season game, so the cost was ok. Low, I will try toi take a look at some of the places you have mentionned. I still need final confirmation that I will be going to the US, but I really hope so. It would be great to go tailgate and meet some fellow cheeseheads ;O)

Peter

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    There is (or was) a tailgate party before each game at Brett's Steakhouse that you could buy tickets for..All the food and drink for around 20$..but it may have changed or stopped.

Tailgating at the parking lot is free, as others said, walk p to people and assuming you have an accent, you probably will get free food and beer :)

http://www.kewaunee.org/Lodging.html

Is about a 30 min drive from Green Bay, I got a hotel there once during a game in November with a few weeks notice

13. Gabriele

Gabriele Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hej Peter,
    I'm coming for the falcons game but from Sweden and I need the same info.

A question for the "locals": if we stay for instance in Kewaunee, is there a bus or something to the stadium? I want to be able to drink beer without having to drive.
    Cheers,
    Guardix

14. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,042
    I don't think so. Check with the hotel.

15. fcs

fcs Danish Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

Hey Gabriele,

Have you found a place to stay. I ended up in Appleton due to availability and also prices. What about you? Did you find out about transportation?

Best regards,

Peter