Da Bears Round 2 Weekly Chat Thread

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the bears, but I would rather them lose this game and beat the Queens. I still can't get the image of Moss "mooning" our fans. I hated them before that, but my hatred grew to a new level after that.
I did not let that one get me. The year before Moss was on the sideline with their offense watching Josh McCown knock them out of playoff contention on the final play of the season. And only several years ago they miss a chip shot FG to send Seattle to the next round. Queens have not won or played in a SB since the Tarkenton days. The Bears can even boast of more recent success.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, you really like yourself some Justin Fields. I don't see the sense of starting some weird argument over non Packer QB's. Fields has looked better this year than last, but still makes major mistakes. Hurts leads Fields in every single significant statistical category including rushing TDs. The only thing that Fields has more of is rushing yardage. Just my opinion, and to each their own, I take Hurts every time over Fields. I don't think Fields leads the Bears to the promise land any time soon. Hurts might just do that for the Eagles this year. I'll leave it at that @GreenNGold_81.
You know what other category Hurts leads Fields in by a landslide? Other talent on the team.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize we’re not eliminated (yet) but we’re asking our QB to play after he just said he thought he punctured a lung on Sunday night.

If #12 plays and gets seriously injured in December and we lose 2 consecutive seasons and pay Rodgers $100Mil to get butt splinters?

I’ll expect a clean house coaching staff and FO from top to bottom.
The problem with your premise is that IMO nobody is asking Rodgers to play except Rodgers. IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even 9-8 is highly unlikely to earn a WC. It has happened but the probability is what you describe.

I actually believe the team that ends up in 8th place in the NFC will have a maximum of eight wins this year.

We lose tie breakers for the Giants and washington. What if it's saying us, the giants, and seattle? Head to Head not become the number one priority anymore if it's a three-way tie?

As I have mentioned in some other threads the Packers would most likely win a tiebreaker if they end up tied with the Seahawks and either the Commanders or Giants based on a better conference record.

Unless those teams ahead of us crater the rest of the season I see no chance of us getting the WC spot. Even if we did what good would that do? We aren't going to beat the upper echelon of teams in the NFC with the state of this roster this year.

If the Packers are able to run the table, beating the Dolphins and Vikings along the way, I would feel confident in them being able to win in the playoffs as well.

But as I said repeatedly I don't expect that to happen.
The problem with your premise is that IMO nobody is asking Rodgers to play except Rodgers. IMO.

If Rodgers is cleared by the doctors he will play. There's no reason to ask him about it.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the bears, but I would rather them lose this game and beat the Queens. I still can't get the image of Moss "mooning" our fans. I hated them before that, but my hatred grew to a new level after that.
My hatred is for the Vikes is more because of the fans I've run into down here than anything else. They are an insufferable lot who think their franchise is the best thing since sliced bread even tho they never have won squat.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually believe the team that ends up in 8th place in the NFC will have a maximum of eight wins this year.

As I have mentioned in some other threads the Packers would most likely win a tiebreaker if they end up tied with the Seahawks and either the Commanders or Giants based on a better conference record.

If the Packers are able to run the table, beating the Dolphins and Vikings along the way, I would feel confident in them being able to win in the playoffs as well.

But as I said repeatedly I don't expect that to happen.

If Rodgers is cleared by the doctors he will play. There's no reason to ask him about it.
Typical Captain. I respond to a post saying "we are asking Rodgers to play"- now I am assuming OldSchool means the coaching staff, not us fans, so I am basically saying the staff is not asking Rodgers to play (or to not play) which it seems Captain agrees with, yet he makes his response to me seem like he is correcting me about it. Ya gotta love this guy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From Aaron Nagler

Packers announce they have elevated S Micah Abernathy and RB Patrick Taylor from the practice squad to the active roster for tomorrow's game in Chicago.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would rather them beat the bears and tank for better pick rest of the way.
The problem is, they and many fans will still see those odds of 2% of making the playoffs, as ones they need to go all in on! I understand that NFL teams don't necessarily want to "tank" games, just to improve their draft position, but I don't understand not playing Love, to improve him and the Packers knowledge of him. Maybe if a key player (cough, cough...Rodgers) tears an ACL in what I view as meaningless games, they will rethink their strategy.

Reaction score
This should happen regardless. Gute for sure, Murphy as well. The whole Love drafting was bungled. The recent Rodgers signing was bungled. If they hadn't received a commitment from Adams, they should have traded Rodgers for what would have made the Russ Wilson trade look like peanuts. Now we've got serious cap issues whether Rodgers comes back next year, retires or is traded. We also have a problem with JMA (Jaire Money Alexander). Rodgers didn't want to be part of a rebuilding effort but yet, here we are.
I know Cap $ is still applied to our space if he retired, but in a trade it shouldn’t unless there’s something I’m not aware of?

Let’s put these Bear Cubs to bed early with no honey

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Seahawks currently hold a better 4-4 Conference record than the a packers 3-5, so there’s no guarantees they wouldn’t also Win their future games.
The problem with The Commanders and Giants is we lost to both in head to head, which takes precedence over Conference Win%.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Cap $ is still applied to our space if he retired, but in a trade it shouldn’t unless there’s something I’m not aware of?

Let’s put these Bear Cubs to bed early with no honey
A trade is less impact that cut/retire, but it's still substantial.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should win this game handily no matter what, so I'll go Packers 31-17.
Also, starting with this game, I'll be watching to see who plays hard and who's just mailing it in. That should be a good indicator of who stays and who goes this off season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Typical Captain. I respond to a post saying "we are asking Rodgers to play"- now I am assuming OldSchool means the coaching staff, not us fans, so I am basically saying the staff is not asking Rodgers to play (or to not play) which it seems Captain agrees with, yet he makes his response to me seem like he is correcting me about it. Ya gotta love this guy.

My bad, I thought you were taking a shot at Rodgers for wanting to play.

The problem is, they and many fans will still see those odds of 2% of making the playoffs, as ones they need to go all in on! I understand that NFL teams don't necessarily want to "tank" games, just to improve their draft position, but I don't understand not playing Love, to improve him and the Packers knowledge of him. Maybe if a key player (cough, cough...Rodgers) tears an ACL in what I view as meaningless games, they will rethink their strategy.

Nobody is advocating for the Packers to go all in by throwing every cent of cap space they have available at OBJ (or some other free agent available) to possibly improve their chances of making the playoffs. But, in my opinion there's no reason to bench the team's best players as long as there's still a theoretical chance of making the playoffs.

As a side note, using the fear of players getting injured is a pretty lame attempt at trying to justify your approach to the rest of the season.

In a trade the remaining prorated portion of any bonuses already having been paid to a player will count against the team's cap. In Rodgers case that would result in $40.3 million of dead money if he's traded next offseason and $68.205 million after the 2023 season.

The Seahawks currently hold a better 4-4 Conference record than the a packers 3-5, so there’s no guarantees they wouldn’t also Win their future games.

The Packers would finish with a 7-5 record against NFC opponents if they win their remaining games. The Seahawks would have to lose another two games against NFC opponents (Niners, Rams, Panthers) for the Packers to win that tiebreaker.

The problem with The Commanders and Giants is we lost to both in head to head, which takes precedence over Conference Win%.

Once again, if the Packers end up in a three way tie with the Seahawks and either the Giants or Commanders the head-to-head tiebreaker doesn't apply anymore as a team would have had to sweep all teams tied with each other to win it.

A trade is less impact that cut/retire, but it's still substantial.

That's only true if there is still future guaranteed money remaining in the contract of a player traded. While that would be the case with Rodgers if traded next offseason there's no difference once the moves is made starting after the 2023 season.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I am a purist...an old guy who was raised to despise all things "BEARS". Yet, I find myself admiring the organization for what it is. Bears, Packers, Cardinals ... you know ... the legacy teams. I can't feel the same way for the Vikings because to me, they'll always be that cute little expansion team in violet and yellow.

As a boy, I hit Butkus in the helmet with an ice ball during pre-game warmups (something I'm not proud of as an adult), but even now, it's not THE BEARS I despise so much as their fan base. They were a bunch of Richard Craniums that you'd never invite to join you while tailgating - F.I.B.s one and all.

Some of the most fun fans I've ever shared Lambeau with were Vikings' fans. They were fun folks. Of course that's all changed now as a newer generation has largely taken over the stadium.

I will never forget when Lovie Smith played all of his starters at the end of the 2010 season even though they had already won the North - just to keep the Packers out of the playoffs if they could. To me, THAT was the very act of respect to your opponent and I was just impressed as hell with that organization. The ugly history be damned, in comparison to the Pack, Bears and Cards ... all other teams are expansion franchises.

Still ... their fan base really sucks. So the Pack cannot allow the Bears to win because it would make their fan base happy, and the natural order of the universe cannot have THAT. We'd want those fans miserable even though both of our teams stink this season. All I'm saying is "embrace the suck". :mad:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As a side note, using the fear of players getting injured is a pretty lame attempt at trying to justify your approach to the rest of the season.
Right, let's just ignore the possibility of losing players for next year, to try and take advantage of the 2% odds of making the playoffs and very likely losing before getting to the SB! I can only imagine the reaction of this forum tomorrow when talking about how long it will be for Rodgers to return from his broken leg.

Why do you think they take starters out, on both sides of the ball in games when it appears one team is most likely to win due to the score? Is it because the game is over and one team has mathematically been declared the loser?

I would actually go so far to say that I would rather risk starters in preseason games, to try and improve the team for the upcoming season, then risk them in games that I see as meaningless at the end of the season.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hatred is for the Vikes is morebecause of the fans I've run into down here than anything else. They are an insufferable lot who think their franchise is the best thing since sliced bread even tho they never have won squat.

I ****ING HATE THAT TEAM!! Always fun to watch them choke in the playoffs! I am so happy that ********* jared Allen never got a ring!!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers lose today, we're going to have fans preparing the tar and feathers to ride darned near everyone associated with the Packers out of town on a rail. If they win, there will be a reprieve, and those who keep holding on to hope that they'll sneak in the back door, and nab a playoff spot. From there, of course, they will run the table, and another Lombardi Trophy.

Me? I think they can win. I'll be enjoying a shot of Jack Daniels No. 7, a brat with the works, a burger off the grill, a bottle or two of Miller's Genuine Draft, grilled sweet corn, and my wife's fantastic home made potato salad.

My pick? Packers 20-17 if Rodgers plays.
If it's Love under center, Bears win 20-17.

I don't think either team deserves a win at this point in the season. They're bad.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me this game can go either way. We usually 'own' day bears. But this season, as we have seen, anything can happen.:mad:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers wants to play period. I'm not a big Rodgers fan and will call him out when he is childish, but he isn't doing or saying he wants to play as a middle finger to Gute or a challenge.
Rodgers is a competitor. No way he isn't going to play unless he's too injured.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers lose today, we're going to have fans preparing the tar and feathers to ride darned near everyone associated with the Packers out of town on a rail. If they win, there will be a reprieve, and those who keep holding on to hope that they'll sneak in the back door, and nab a playoff spot. From there, of course, they will run the table, and another Lombardi Trophy.

Me? I think they can win. I'll be enjoying a shot of Jack Daniels No. 7, a brat with the works, a burger off the grill, a bottle or two of Miller's Genuine Draft, grilled sweet corn, and my wife's fantastic home made potato salad.

My pick? Packers 20-17 if Rodgers plays.
If it's Love under center, Bears win 20-17.

I don't think either team deserves a win at this point in the season. They're bad.
I doubt fans will storm 1265 with tar and feathers. Most of us know this team is not a playoff caliber team but if we can get a top 10 pick in the coming draft we can infuse the team with good young talent and reload for next season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt fans will storm 1265 with tar and feathers. Most of us know this team is not a playoff caliber team but if we can get a top 10 pick in the coming draft we can infuse the team with good young talent and reload for next season.
There are some my friend. Count on it. They'll be screaming for heads to be rolling.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Aaron Nagler

Packers announce they have elevated S Micah Abernathy and RB Patrick Taylor from the practice squad to the active roster for tomorrow's game in Chicago.
Glad to see this. I have been wanting to see more of Abernathy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be very interested in seeing Zack Tom play L tackle. He looked real good to me there the little he has played.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts