Cushing wins defensive rookie award in landslide

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cushing wins defensive rookie award in landslide | ProFootballTalk.com

Well deserved. But I thought Mathews deserved more attention than what the other 3 mentioned got.

Cushing wins defensive rookie award in landslide
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 5, 2010 11:03 AM ET
Texans rookie linebacker Brian Cushing wasn't always the most well regarded linebacker on the USC Trojans. Now he's been recognized as the best rookie defender in the entire league.

Cushing received 39 of 50 possible votes to win the AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Tuesday. Bills safety Jairus Byrd finished second with six votes, while Cushing's college teammate Clay Matthews finished third with three votes. Redskins pass rush Brian Orakpo got two votes.

We can't argue with the result. Cushing racked up 133 tackles, five sacks, four interceptions and forced two fumbles. He's a bigger difference maker than teammate DeMeco Ryans, who also won the award.

There were games, like the win in Cincinnati, that Cushing simply took over. It was the ninth time in ten years a linebacker won the award. (Us silly writers like stats!)

We also have to throw some love at Matthews, who deserved serious consideration. Matthews started the final 13 games of the season, compiling 10 sacks, 51 tackles, and 7 passes defensed.

He will be a versatile core player and probably a Pro Bowl candidate for years to come. Now he has only 18 years more to play to equal the longevity of his father (Clay) and uncle (Bruce).

Congrats to all four men who earned votes. It was a strong year for rookie defenders.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
I think his overall tackels is what hurt him 52 to Cushings 134! Clay had a great year i do think he should have came in second.. Cushing deserves it though! USC boys coming through in the Big League!!!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
PFT forgot to add two or three fumbles recovered by matthews. Just saying.

He also forced 1 against Peterson!

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What probably hurt Mathews was the Packers opponents, not that Houston had all that much of a tougher schedule, but when you play the likes of Browns, Rams, Seattle, detroit (twice), bears (twice), and Tampa you are not going to get the recognition.

Another knock on Mathews is that he did not start right away, I can't remember when he started to take all the reps at his position, it might have been during the second viking game when he was a full time starter (getting all the reps).

It kind of comes down to how much value you put on sacks verses tackles. With that said Cushing's force fumbles (2) and INTs (4) are impressive and puts him ahead of Mathews this season. 6 turnovers is a bigger impact on the game as a defensive player than sacks. For me over an above Cushing's tackles these turnovers is where he has clearly played better this year.

Regardless it will be interesting to watch these players develop as time moves on. Mathews was a late bloomer in college, he may have yet to reach his potential.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What probably hurt Mathews was the Packers opponents, not that Houston had all that much of a tougher schedule, but when you play the likes of Browns, Rams, Seattle, detroit (twice), bears (twice), and Tampa you are not going to get the recognition.

Another knock on Mathews is that he did not start right away, I can't remember when he started to take all the reps at his position, it might have been during the second viking game when he was a full time starter (getting all the reps).

It kind of comes down to how much value you put on sacks verses tackles. With that said Cushing's force fumbles (2) and INTs (4) are impressive and puts him ahead of Mathews this season. 6 turnovers is a bigger impact on the game as a defensive player than sacks. For me over an above Cushing's tackles these turnovers is where he has clearly played better this year.

Regardless it will be interesting to watch these players develop as time moves on. Mathews was a late bloomer in college, he may have yet to reach his potential.

I think Cushing mans the 4-3, correct? Matthews gets to improvise being in a 3-4, which is a much easier way to get sacks and what-not.

They got this one right. I'm just surprised nobody on here is clamoring that BJ Raji "was robbed". I'll bet if we didn't have Matthews, there would have been some clamoring. :)

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but the Vkings didn't get Matthews? ;)
:viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux:

Well, the Vikes need him now, but they actually really need two NFL-capable safeties. What they have now are two guys akin to starting Mark Roman and Marquand Manuel - just terrible safeties.

The ironic thing is they have a good rookie safety, but they're afraid to play him. It could be the Vikes undoing.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They got this one right. I'm just surprised nobody on here is clamoring that BJ Raji "was robbed". I'll bet if we didn't have Matthews, there would have been some clamoring. :)

Raji has had some explosive plays, but DT's just don't make huge impacts like other positions do when they're rookies. I'm sure there are exceptions, but you just don't see it that much. Raji is definitely no exception, but he looks like he will have a bright future.