Crosby and his issues

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

A picture is worth a thousand stats.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can throw career averages out the window, especially with a field goal kicker. It is ALL about what he is (or isn't doing) now. Why can't you face the fact that for whatever reason, Crosby is in a bad slump, whether its mental or physical, we have 2 games left that mean something (home field advantage) and the playoffs ahead that a made field goal could be the difference. Everyone has been waiting for Crosby to kick his way out of this, but it isn't happening. Do you keep putting a career 300 hitter up to the plate when he is batting 150 over the last half of the season? No, you sit him down and bring in someone who can hit. Keep Crosby in the line-up (for kick-offs and PAT's), but bring someone in that is wearing some big boy pants and can make a damn field goal.
Yes, I am sure there were some Yankee fans that kept bringing up A-Rod's career stats when he couldn't hit his weight in the playoffs and was benched... Girardi finally benched him when he was 3-23 and 0-18 with 12 K's against righthanders. Took some brass b@lls to bench him and is always much easier to be the nice guy and sit back and hope that the player comes out of the slump.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just wait to see if TT, MM, and I are the only three that can say 'I told you so' after this season. I think that staying the course with Crosby is the right move.
I hope you are right and I will be the first one to admit it, if Crosby can do what he is paid millions of dollars to do.

I long for the days when I am confident when we line up for a fieldgoal. Now I find myself hoping they keep the offense on the field on fourth down and cheering out loud when they do.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Leroy Says:
@leap36 said:
Look no one was more upset than me, but I don't want him gone, Mason will be fine, Packer nation has changed, any guy other than 12 who struggles, you want gone? I guess you guys are perfect at your jobs #loyalty

5 teams need kickers, the guys who are out there don't have a job for a reason, the bears chose a old guy over the rest hmmm. Keep Cosby

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the playoffs approaching it would be sheer stupidity for McCarthy to stick with a FG kicker that you can't rely on to consistently make a 40-yarder. If McCarthy wants to give him one more chance, fine. But if after next week things look the same then he has to get a new kicker.

If Crosby flubs a kick inside of 50 yards next week, I'll bet money we'll have a new kicker. McCarthy is hearing it a lot from fans and he'll hear it twice as much.

I don't see him making a move at this point. If he didn't weeks ago he's going to stick with Missin Crosby until the season comes to an end then make a decision. I forsee two kickers on the roster next year.. at least for the pre-season, and Crosby will be one of those guy's. There will be a competition and the best guy will be the Packers kicker in 2013.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/1...n-in-2012/landing_packers.html?blockID=813391

This is like Groundhog Day the Movie..... that article sums it up right?
But it's from 6 weeks ago..... this guy just sucks period and we've said it time and time again...

I would have much more confidence in Ryan Longwell from 44 yards and the game on the line than Crosby.
Anyone else?
Hell, a 51-year old Chris Jacke would have a better chance than Crosby.

According to the article at that point, the 32 yd attempt was his first miss under 50 yds. From there, things went downhill. So we have the ball on the opponents 45. We make a nice run/pass or two and get to the 36. On 3rd and 1, we go deep rather than intending on getting the first either on 3rd or 4th down. Then we trot Crosby out for a 50+ yd attempt. How many times did this happen? In the process, the confidence of a proven kicker of 2011 goes down the toilet. And to cut him now means to get the long snapper and holder in sinc with the new kicker - that does not always happen too quickly. So the less risky option is to see through this to the season end, and start going for the first down when in 4-down territory.

With respect to Longwell, I remember a time period when he could not even get the ball up to the crossbar on a 50 yd attempt - if a ball is short there is no adjustment possible. And then, as you recall, his replacement in MN missed a chip shot field goal that could have very well allowed MN to come back and beat us.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
According to the article at that point, the 32 yd attempt was his first miss under 50 yds. From there, things went downhill. So we have the ball on the opponents 45. We make a nice run/pass or two and get to the 36. On 3rd and 1, we go deep rather than intending on getting the first either on 3rd or 4th down. Then we trot Crosby out for a 50+ yd attempt. How many times did this happen? In the process, the confidence of a proven kicker of 2011 goes down the toilet. And to cut him now means to get the long snapper and holder in sinc with the new kicker - that does not always happen too quickly. So the less risky option is to see through this to the season end, and start going for the first down when in 4-down territory.

With respect to Longwell, I remember a time period when he could not even get the ball up to the crossbar on a 50 yd attempt - if a ball is short there is no adjustment possible. And then, as you recall, his replacement in MN missed a chip shot field goal that could have very well allowed MN to come back and beat us.

I think the long snapper and holder have to be more in sync which they should be by now, so I doubt a new kicker makes them go off their routine. Orlindo Mare had 2 days to prep with the bears and hadnt kicked in 2 years and came right in and nailed down 2 nice FG's for them.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the long snapper and holder have to be more in sync which they should be by now, so I doubt a new kicker makes them go off their routine. Orlindo Mare had 2 days to prep with the bears and hadnt kicked in 2 years and came right in and nailed down 2 nice FG's for them.

Yea i've already come to the conclusion Crosby just sucks this year. Maybe he needs a two year layoff.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't you face the fact that for whatever reason, Crosby is in a bad slump
I do believe that if you read any of my posts, I've stated that he's in a slump. What I won't "face the fact" about is that Crosby is now damaged goods that needs to be jettisoned from the team. He's clearly in a slump, which by their very nature come to an end.

The problem with your stats are that they are season averages. They don't factor in the current slide by Crosby. The stats from those distances for the last 5 or so games wouldn't be nearly as pretty.
So let's take a look at those stats, which I bring out not just because I like stats. I think that like anything, data can be helpful to understanding situations in a different light. Of course it can be manipulated or misinterpreted, but the numbers are the numbers, we need to figure out what they are telling us. So here are his last five games:

_______0-19__20-29__30-39__40-49__50+__Total
Week 11 __0-0____0-0____1-2____0-0____0-1____1-3
Week 12__0-0____1-1____0-0____0-0____0-1____1-2
Week 13__0-0____0-0____2-2____1-1____0-1____3-4
Week 14__0-0____0-0____0-0____2-2____0-1____2-3
Week 15__0-0____0-0____0-0____0-2____0-0____0-2
TOTALS_0-0____1-1___3-4____3-5____0-4___7-14 (50%)

So yeah, 50% average over the last five games looks pretty bad. Tell McCarthy to stop putting Crosby out there for 50+ yarders to "win back his confidence." Without those confidence boosters, Crosby is 7 of 10 from 0-49 yards which isn't great but it's far from terrible. I'm not making excuses for him missing field goals (especially the first one against the Bears), only pointing out that the majority of his misses are from long range. That has something to do with McCarthy and something to do with the offense. The offense can't keep putting the guy in this situation, as my post on the previous page described. No Packer team has forced their kicker to kick this many 50+ field goals in a season. On top of that, McCarthy knows that the guy is in a slump, so either punt it or go for it when you are facing a 50+ yarder.

The majority of people posting her think that Crosby stinks. The stats show that he stinks from long range - clearly. The stats also show that he's kicking decent from everywhere below 50 yards. I just don't think that's a reason to fire him to the curb. We can agree to disagree about course of action.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other kickers are kicking them from long range. He's getting paid to do so. He's in the big boy league and needs to start performing like it.

That's funny you say it's Mike's fault. :rolleyes: Is the goal to win football games or give Crosby easy attempts? Mike has tried giving him some easy ones and he doesn't show any signs of snapping out of his funk. He's lucky to have a coach like MM to stay with him this long through fail! Most would have given him a one way ticket out of town.

Sorry, but I can't defend his 50 % effort.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I cut Crosby
Tag Jennings
Then make a blockbuster trade to St. Louis for Greg Zuerlein.

:tup:

No more stupid trick plays or going for it on 4th down. Just banging 50+ yard field goals like clockwork.

Yey Yey

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't think it's all on Crosby. We have to stop attempting 50 yard field goals. He's proved he's lost a step this year, just punt the ball or go for it.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's all on Crosby. We have to stop attempting 50 yard field goals. He's proved he's lost a step this year, just punt the ball or go for it.

I have not noticed a leg strength problem. He kicks it long enough, just not straight enough.

glad to see you back here posting Bogart. :tup:

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I have not noticed a leg strength problem. He kicks it long enough, just not straight enough.

glat to see you back here posting Bogart. :tup:

It's crazy too cause he was hitting those long field goals all last year, and now he's having a down year. Maybe he'll get better over time. Garrett Hartley hit all those 40-50 yarders for the Saints a few years back and since then he's never had the strength to hit beyond 40.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If he has a miss this weekend vs the titans, he might as well paint a bullseye on the back of his helmet.......fans are tired of his crap, I know I am.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he has a miss this weekend vs the titans, he might as well paint a bullseye on the back of his helmet.......fans are tired of his crap, I know I am.

I think this will be his last year here. TT will draft a kicker in the later rounds next year, and i would to as there are some solid kickers who will be ALOT cheaper in this upcoming draft.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
IDK about TT using a draft pick on kicker. Me, I would get a proven veteran kicker rather than an unknown/unproven college guy. Bring in a veteran that wont kill cap space. Kickers have a long shelf life, so getting some 40 year old aint a big deal. ****, look how old morten anderson was .....

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this will be his last year here. TT will draft a kicker in the later rounds next year, and i would to as there are some solid kickers who will be ALOT cheaper in this upcoming draft.

Dustin hopskins
Brett Baer
Brett Maher
Caleb Sturgis

I'd loe to haveDustin Hopskins tho..this guy has potential to be the next great kicker in the NFL. Huge leg!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
To get back to the thread title: NO ---- missin crosby is NOT some sort of hiden blessing. He sucks, end of story. He has cost us 36 potential points thus far and will end up blowing a game out his ***.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get back to the thread title: NO ---- missin crosby is NOT some sort of hiden blessing. He sucks, end of story. He has cost us 36 potential points thus far and will end up blowing a game out his ***.

I think he approaches the kick with the thought that he's going to shank it...then he does. Sad to se a guy with such a strong leg be one of the worse kickers in the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I do believe that if you read any of my posts, I've stated that he's in a slump. What I won't "face the fact" about is that Crosby is now damaged goods that needs to be jettisoned from the team. He's clearly in a slump, which by their very nature come to an end.

Honestly, I don't take great notes on everyone's post, but you obviously haven't kept track of mine either. I didn't say Crosby "needs to be jettisoned from the team". I merely said, bring someone else in who can kick field goals and keep Crosby around for PAT's and Kick Offs. What I do disagree with you on is the fact that you think he is going to kick his way out of this slump before he kicks the Packers out of the Playoffs. Obviously, all Packer fans, coaches, etc. hope he does kick his way out of his slump before we loose a playoff game because of him. But the end of his slump doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon and the Playoffs could start in 2 weeks. I as a coach or a GM would not be willing to wait it out without insurance, this insurance comes in the form of another seasoned veteran kicker. One that can give Crosby some competition, make some field goals between 30-50 yards AND most importantly, give his teammates (and fans) someone they can rely on to kick a game winning field goal, if needed. Crosby isn't washed-up, he's just wide right or wide left...for now.

Members online

No members online now.