Counting on Fergie?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070328/PKR01/70328148/1989

McCarthy: We're counting on Ferguson

By Mike Vandermause
[email protected]

PHOENIX – Wide receiver Robert Ferguson remains a big part of the Green Bay Packers' plans for the 2007 season, coach Mike McCarthy said this morning.

Ferguson lost his starting job to rookie Greg Jennings and then missed the last 10 games of last season with a right foot injury. But as far as McCarthy is concerned, the seven-year veteran will play a major role in the upcoming season.

“I look for him to compete to be the (No.) 2 or the 3 (receiver),” said McCarthy at an NFC coaches’ breakfast. “I really need him to step up and be a core player on special teams because I think he has the ability to be a Pro Bowl-type player in that area. He’s a unique body type for a receiver. He’s a tough son of a gun. He can do a lot of things with his body type on special teams.”

Ferguson is participating in the Packers’ offseason workout program in Green Bay, McCarthy said. He's struggled to stay healthy during his career, and he took it hard when he was demoted to No. 3 receiver at the start of last season.

“Just like I told him, just because you don’t go with the regulars the first time, I don’t view it that way,” McCarthy said. “You’re still going to play and I think there’s been some added attention, which created added stress on him not running out with that first regular group that in my opinion doesn’t need to be there.

“Because if it’s about the team, it’s about the team. You can’t have guys having their play affected because they’re not running out with the first personnel group. There’s so much football to be played over a 16-week season. To me, that doesn’t need to be the focus. I know it has been, but it won’t be as far as my football team."

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he can do it (agreeing with Packfan1245) But he is going to need to stay healthy.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose he answered a question from a reporter re Fergy. In that context there isn't much else he COULD have said. IMO, IF TT is contemplating several trades(as he might well be) I figure Fergy is that one "throw-away" player used to sweeten a deal and help close it. Frankly, I look for Ruvell Martin and Holliday to make their presence known in camp. And Bodiford may just be the BIG sleeper this year. Martz loved him in Detroit and was angered when he lost him. Martz is no dummy in the offense. At the very least, I expect him to be the returner we've been looking for if he can get a bit of blocking.

davepyne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson is not a bad receiver. He's not as good as Jennings or Koren Robinson, but I think he'll get some playing time this year, but who knows which of these three receivers will get the #2 spot. It will be up for grabs until one of our guys steps it up. I'm betting on Robinson to be the guy once his suspension is done with. Before that its really a toss-up between Fergie and Greg.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About a month ago Ted Thompson went to great lengths to say that Ferguson was still in his plans and some one he was counting on.

A month later MM goes in great detail about wanting and needing Ferguson.

Yet the forum spin machine twists very direct comments into coded messages that somehow mean the opposite :rolleyes:

Here is what I wrote back on January 20th on the topic in my positional review series:

One can almost hear the groans from readers as I am typing the next logical place to look – Veteran WR Robert Ferguson. It is probably fair to point out that if it were not for bad luck; Robert would probably have no luck at all. At least that is true when it comes to injuries since this suffering this near career ending hit…

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

… in which he somehow held onto the ball despite an illegal forearm clothesline hit by Jaguars safety Donovin Darius – who was subsequent fined $75,000 by the NFL for the illegal play. This December 2004 injury, put him on the shelf for the season and left the Packers thin as they headed into their short excursion into the playoffs. Some question whether he has ever recovered.

After battling back from sever migraines and vision problems, the injury nightmare continued in ‘05’ with injuries to both knees that should have put him on the shelf far before he was finally sent to the IR -- he just did not want to give up.

2006 started well with Robert enjoying a healthy productive off-season and training camp. While not happy about losing his starting job to Greg Jennings, Robert seemed to be handling the move back to #3 receiver like the team player he has always been. When the injury bug struck again – this time the dreaded Lisfranc foot sprain, Robert again landed on injured reserve list.

Robert, who just turned 27 in December, is a well cut 6’1’ 210 lbs physical wide-receiver. He has great hands and can make acrobatic catches, but needs to regain his confidence (seemingly lost post hit above) and heart in fighting for the ball in a crowd where his superior strength should be more of an asset. His strength is a great assest in fighting off jams and his versatility is among the tops on the squad. When healthy Fergy can run after the catch, and has always produced when used as a kick or punt return man and has always been the Packers top gunner on both in running down opposition returners.

Despite his popularity with teammates and coaches (past and present, Driver and Walker love him) and his incredible work ethic, Robert is far from a fan favorite.

His salary of $1.8 million is significant given his injury history. The current coaches do not hesitate to say they look forward to his return – where they want to give him the chance to reclaim the #3 receiver spot.

TT has publicly said he is behind the return of Ferguson and because of his relative young age, will probably give him a shot to come back and compete. However, one has to believe that any setbacks may lead to a quick hook and cut if Robert stumbles at all in camp – before his money becomes guaranteed. I am probably in a thin minority of folks(outside of his coaches and teammates) who wishes the hardworking warrior a change of fortune heading into ‘07’

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bruce, just so it it is clear and fair to Ferguson, I would love to see him succeed and become the player he can become. However, truth be told, is he can't seem to stay healthy and I just hope they have there bases covered become locking him into a roster spot and cutting someone like a Holiday whom as well showed promise.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, just so it it is clear and fair to Ferguson, I would love to see him succeed and become the player he can become. However, truth be told, is he can't seem to stay healthy and I just hope they have there bases covered become locking him into a roster spot and cutting someone like a Holiday whom as well showed promise.

You were quite clear, and basically we agree.

MM nor TT has promised him a roster spot, rather an opportunity to compete for a spot.

Here is to hoping his string of bad luck has run its course, and this 27 year old (in '07) finally gets a break with his health and puts up a productive season. He is a great athlete, I hope he gets the opportunity to use it to help this team for 16 games this season.

If not, As I said in the article, I expect TT and MM to have a quick hook and cut their losses.

Reaction score
I think people too often judge success based on production.

Ferggy's value transcends on the field stats. Ferggy must have one hell of an optimistic personality, because to survive after his rash of injuries he needs to be positive that he'll be able to come back and contribute. I'd definitely want an optimistic attitude on my team.

Secondly, I'd think Ferggy has a bit of an underdog attitude. People count him out every year, yet he finds a way to stick around on the roster. The Packers are a young team, and well I'll be blunt: they aren't as talented as teams like the Chargers and Broncos, who we'll face this year. We need to have an underdog attitude when going up against teams simply better than us (whether it be because of talent and/or experience).

Finally, from what I have read, the improvement Ferggy showed from his rookie year to his 2nd season in the NFL is nothing short of outstanding. He had the right attitude and commitment to improving, and that can never be short changed. In the NFL, you can't survive strictly on talent, you have to have an outstanding work-ethic in order to improve and excel against your competition. We saw in the final game of the season, against a great team like the Bears, our young WRs Martin and Holliday have great talent. Now they need to have the work-ethic to translate that talent into on-field production. Ditto Jennings, who can still improve. There isn't a person I'd rather have than Ferggy (because of his improvement from year 1 to year 2) showing these guys the things they need to do off the field in order to improve.

I've basically given up hope of Ferggy ever being a great #3, but I still think he has a big role to play on the Packers. There is a possibility that Morency will be our starting RB in 07, so Ferggy becomes that much important as a KR, if nothing else. He is also an outstanding ST player, and young enough to still make a difference, as Bruce stated.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can be a solid #3 I'll be happy. We have our 1-2 punch in Driver and Jennings and if Ferguson can just be a serviceable player it'd be okay. My main problems aside from him not ever living up to what some thought is I don't like the salary he's making. I would ask him to take a pay cut or cut him.

Edit: When I say the Packers are over evaluating talent on their roster. This is exactly what I mean.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is awesome on special teams for sure. It's a shame because he has had injuries but I think the foot came on a special teams play if I'm not mistaken.

It's unique from that aspect because most receivers aren't flying down on punt returns at risk of getting hurt.

I may be cutting him more slack than he deserves but it has looked to me at times he was unaware that a DB was getting the angle on him more than it was he was afraid to do battle.

Now either way some of the INT's were on him but I think some of that would go away if he positioned himself better and didn't allow DB's the angle they sometimes get on those interceptions.

I see him with his arms out ready for the ball and, Woosh, here comes the DB and Fergy gets caught off guard and fails to protect the path of the ball.

It doesn't make sense that he's afraid of the contact when he can deliver shots the way he does on ST's.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had seven years, and he's proven nothing. Ship him out and given the newer guys a chance. He may have the right attitude and the right body type, however he's just never been consistent and that's what this game demands. They speak of his strength and his ability to get off the jam, if that's the case, then why is he never open? If he's such a strong WR, then why is he not the go to receiver with the quick slant pass?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as the only thing MM wants out of Fergie is a #3 WRer and a special teams player, then OK, but Fergie will never have a 1000 yrd season or beat out an opposing CB for a jump ball

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's being paid too much to play Special Teams or to play slot.

Driver is Favre's main man.
Jennings is our most natural receiver.
Robinson is our speed demon.
Holiday is always open and has shown the ability to hold on.
Ruvell Martin has great focus.
Bodiford sacrifices himself for the ball.

Fergie... is just dead money. I want to see him succeed, but the other young guys are gonna need their shot too.