Could Jon gruden be headed to Green Bay?

Would you rather have McCarthy or Gruden ?

• Gruden

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • McCarthy

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with TT out at the behest of the executive board and the rumors about Jon gruden possibly returning to the NFL albiet in a reunion with the raiders could he actually end up as the Packers next head coach. Say Elliot wolf gets promoted to gm or Brett favre makes his gloriois return as the new gm or even if an outside canidate is hired. If they are set on replacing McCarthy, wouldn't a gruden Green Bay reunion make a lot of sense? I think it would I'm not sure what I think of gruden as a head coach but I'm confident a gruden/Rodgers offense would continue to be elite. I'm not really against keeping McCarthy. I think with a fresh defensive coordinator the team could be really good next year. I'm just saying it seems like this option is likely being talked about by this 45 person board that apparently really runs the team.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Grudens probably going to the Raiders.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a perfect world according to me, I would ask MM to step down and remain with the team as the OC and let Gruden step in as HC. But of course that'll never happen. I haven't lost confidence in MM to lead the team, but his refusal to axe Capers years ago to go along with his constant hiccups managing the team in critical situations sometimes causes me to question if he isn't overwhelmed at time. I think Gruden would address such issues in the future more quickly.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a perfect world according to me, I would ask MM to step down and remain with the team as the OC and let Gruden step in as HC. But of course that'll never happen. I haven't lost confidence in MM to lead the team, but his refusal to axe Capers years ago to go along with his constant hiccups managing the team in critical situations sometimes causes me to question if he isn't overwhelmed at time. I think Gruden would address such issues in the future more quickly.

Again, Gruden is going to the Raiders. It's in the bag. Announcement forthcoming.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, Gruden is going to the Raiders. It's in the bag. Announcement forthcoming.

Until he signs a deal, it ain't over til it's over. If Murphy or some members of the board dropped some sweet nothings into his ear "just in case" he'd be a fool to at least not consider it. Gruden would probably say "F**k the Raiders" at that point if you ask me

Gruden is overrated.

Slightly, but I like the idea of what he may be able to do at the helm over what MM can do.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
My god, this thread... I asked my wife to slap me upside the head to make eyes stop rolling to the back of my head.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My god, this thread... I asked my wife to slap me upside the head to make eyes stop rolling to the back of my head.
I like Gruden,but I think he is highly overrated. He took Dungy’s team and won the Super Bowl and didn’t accomplish much after that. Better to have the persona of being great than being great, sometimes

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
He may be overrated but he won a superbowl with Brad Johnson as his QB.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be overrated but he won a superbowl with Brad Johnson as his QB.

They won that super bowl because of the defense that Dungy built.

Gruden, the supposed offensive genius, actually did worse on offense than Dungy did. He's a fine coach, but he's not great. No better than MM.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people overrate Gruden, some underrate him. He did turn Oakland into a very good team. Shortly after he left, Bill Callahan ran them into the ground. If people use the Gruden won it with Dungy's guys quote, Callahan was carried by what Gruden did before that. People forget to realize the most success Gruden had was with the best qb in his time, Gannon. Who was the best qb he had in Tampa? Jeff Garcia? Brad Johnson? He did have a good defense his Super Bowl year but they were aging quick (along with Alstott, Keyshawn, and McCardell). They had crap for offensive weapons after that and were just riding an ageless Derrick Brooks. Get him a team, I think he can do good things. But the reason against him is everybody hated him at the end of his Tampa years. Kind of a ****.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Gruden is most likely about to be offered a small ownership stake in the Raiders and will also pretty much be calling his own shots there....he would never get that offer in GB for obvious reasons. He's going to Oakland, put it to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts