Cornerbacks

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I read this before I posted about Cockrell (A quote from a Pittsburgh reporter):

"Left outside cornerback Ross Cockrell has also shown some ability to be a man coverage corner, even shadowing an opposing team’s top target for large stretches of a game from time to time. With the secondary getting more experience under their belt, that is only more likely to happen going forward."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/dulac-steelers-stopped-using-man-coverage-ne-didnt-work/

Way to come correct there, Poker.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I also think that with the $1.8M due to Cockrell under the original-round tender FA tag Pittsburgh put on him, he could be had at a reasonable price. Of course, the Steelers can always match the Packer offer and keep him.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Melifonwu is an intriguing prospect but unfortunately doesn't address the Packers most glaring weakness. Therefore I don't want the Packers to spend their first round pick on him and he will most likely be gone by the time the team is on the clock in thesecond.

Randall didn't have a significant impact in his rookie season and performed at an average level at best.

So Micah Hyde didn't have an impact in 2016 putting up 58 tackles 47 solo 3 int 1 sack. pretty sure that was considered an impactful season by more than one nfl team

D

Deleted member 6794

So Micah Hyde didn't have an impact in 2016 putting up 58 tackles 47 solo 3 int 1 sack.

It's fine if you want to think Randall had a significant impact as a rookie but I don't agree with it. Unfortunately his biggest "play" was messing up the coverage on Fitzgerald in overtime during the divisional playoff game practically ending the Packers season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's fine if you want to think Randall had a significant impact as a rookie but I don't agree with it. Unfortunately his biggest "play" was messing up the coverage on Fitzgerald in overtime during the divisional playoff game practically ending the Packers season.

He also hasn't shown he can stay healthy either. Seems to always have some type of nagging injury going on.

He just isn't physical enough at this stage to be a consistent productive corner in the NFL.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That pass defense vs San Diego on the goaline sideline to help seal the game was pretty helpful! I think it was vs the Chargers?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To be fair, the Mike McCoy Chargers were a lock to screw up every clutch moment that came their way.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Nice job on this info. about TT's history with CB's in the draft. Considering I'm a draft fanatic, I got a lot out of this info. We definitely are in need of a CB in this draft, whether it be in the 1st rd or later. I am leaning toward the 2nd or 3rd rd at the moment as I feel if the pass rush can be improved, the secondary play will get better. I would like OLB/EDGE addressed in Rd. 1 and CB later due to the talent at CB is deeper with talent this yr than OLB/EDGE rushers. However, if we did go CB in Rd 1, I wouldn't be disappointed one bit. In Rd. 1 I would like Conley, Awuzie, Moreau, or White. If we waiting until Rd 2. I would like Sidney Jones ( think he will fall there) or Desmond King (think he can fill the roll of Hyde playing nickle or S). If by chance we waited until Rd. 3, I would love a guy like Cam Sutton.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rolls eyes on this recent "run in with the law" by a Packer player. At least it was the Bears Player who was cited for suspicion of interference, disorderly conduct and public intoxication and got tasered, Dorleant maybe was just sticking up for his drunk friend and was only sited for interference. Hope he saves some of that for the field in 2017, except the interference part! :rolleyes:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/26/bears-packers-cornerbacks-both-arrested-in-iowa/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

We definitely are in need of a CB in this draft, whether it be in the 1st rd or later. I am leaning toward the 2nd or 3rd rd at the moment as I feel if the pass rush can be improved, the secondary play will get better.

While that's true in theory unfortunately it doesn't work once a team's cornerbacks can't cover opposing receivers for at least two seconds. Without any upgrades at cornerback the Packers pass rushers will have a tough time pressuring quarterbacks on a consistent basis.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anybody else find it funny they were arrested for interference? :)

The story is kind of light on details and i'm not going to hold too much against a guy that has only been charged with suspected interference without a lot more in the way of details.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
anybody else find it funny they were arrested for interference? :)

The story is kind of light on details and i'm not going to hold too much against a guy that has only been charged with suspected interference without a lot more in the way of details.

Good thing the rest of the Packer secondary wasn't there, the whole place might of gotten lit up and torched!

Reaction score
We'll need to do some very crafty footwork this draft to get all these holes filled. We're staring at 11 draft picks next year right now and we have to balance that with our needs this year. Im smelling a trade (Brett Hundley cough cough) or some mid round picks this year or next to solidify this Defense once and for all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We'll need to do some very crafty footwork this draft to get all these holes filled. We're staring at 11 draft picks next year right now and we have to balance that with our needs this year. Im smelling a trade (Brett Hundley cough cough) or some mid round picks this year or next to solidify this Defense once and for all.

Ted trade picks away!! Blasphemy! :eek:

I would be fine trading up for a sure thing in round #1, but the problem is....at #29 you would have to give up most of your other picks to move up substantially to get one of the top players and even than, how many "sure picks" have flopped in the past? Just swapping up 5 places in the first round would most likely cost us our #3, 10 places our #2. TT may have too many perceivable holes to fill to be able to afford giving up picks. Personally, unless there is a guy there that the Packers are REALLY high on, I would trade back 4-6 spots and out of the first round and pick up a 4th rounder in the process, as long as the talent pool is still deep when the Packers are on the clock.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yes I remember that play. but for you to say the rest of the plays he made his rookie season are irrelevant doesn't make sense. one could argue had he not had an interception in the end zone earlier in that same game. the game may never have made it to overtime in the first place

D

Deleted member 6794

yes I remember that play. but for you to say the rest of the plays he made his rookie season are irrelevant doesn't make sense. one could argue had he not had an interception in the end zone earlier in that same game. the game may never have made it to overtime in the first place

All I'm saying is that Randall didn't perform at a better than average level during his rookie season and was terrible in 2016. There's no reason for the Packers to expect him to have a huge positive impact next year yet it seems Thompson will heavily rely on him to do so.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
While that's true in theory unfortunately it doesn't work once a team's cornerbacks can't cover opposing receivers for at least two seconds. Without any upgrades at cornerback the Packers pass rushers will have a tough time pressuring quarterbacks on a consistent basis.
Drafting a CB in Rd 1 doesn't always mean an upgrade at the position, either. I believe our last 4 CB's we drafted in the 1st Rd were, Buckley, Newsome, Carroll, and Randall. The jury is still out on Randall, (hope his regression from yr one was due to the injuries) but when it comes to the other 3, Newsome had the best Packer career, and he only played 4 yrs. I just feel, a pass rusher is just as big of a need as CB, and with the amount of depth at the CB position this yr vs OLB, I think it would be better to pick a OLB in the 1st Rd and we could still upgrade the CB position in the 2nd. The one thing about the draft is its a crap shoot in every rd. and for most draft picks, your projecting that pick to make significant contributions in yrs 2-4, once they know the system, and hope you hit lightning in a bottle and get them contributions in yr one. After their rookie contracts are up, half of the 1st rd picks this yr will be considered avg players or busts.

D

Deleted member 6794

Drafting a CB in Rd 1 doesn't always mean an upgrade at the position, either. I believe our last 4 CB's we drafted in the 1st Rd were, Buckley, Newsome, Carroll, and Randall. The jury is still out on Randall, (hope his regression from yr one was due to the injuries) but when it comes to the other 3, Newsome had the best Packer career, and he only played 4 yrs. I just feel, a pass rusher is just as big of a need as CB, and with the amount of depth at the CB position this yr vs OLB, I think it would be better to pick a OLB in the 1st Rd and we could still upgrade the CB position in the 2nd. The one thing about the draft is its a crap shoot in every rd. and for most draft picks, your projecting that pick to make significant contributions in yrs 2-4, once they know the system, and hope you hit lightning in a bottle and get them contributions in yr one. After their rookie contracts are up, half of the 1st rd picks this yr will be considered avg players or busts.

Absolutely agree with your take on draft picks. That's why Thompson should have addressed the need for a #1 cornerback in free agency.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
In the first round I would love to see Kevin King. In the 2nd/3rd I would love to see Desmond King (to fill the Hyde role) or Sidney Jones. Sidney Jones could be a steal with that Achilles injury. This team needs to select two cornerbacks in the first 4 rounds.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
In the first round I would love to see Kevin King. In the 2nd/3rd I would love to see Desmond King (to fill the Hyde role) or Sidney Jones. Sidney Jones could be a steal with that Achilles injury. This team needs to select two cornerbacks in the first 4 rounds.

Noo. Stay away from Sidney Jones. We don't need another small body corner that will get hurt all the time.

If TT must draft a pac 12 corner then draft Jones's teammate King.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Noo. Stay away from Sidney Jones. We don't need another small body corner that will get hurt all the time.

If TT must draft a pac 12 corner then draft Jones's teammate King.

While I would be concerned about Jones and a full recovery from his ruptured achilles tendon, I wouldn't go so far as to say he "will get hurt all the time" because of it. I don't know Jones's complete college resume, but it appears he played in most if not all of the Huskies games as a freshman (13) , sophomore (13) and his final junior year (14). This one particular injury, if he fully recovers could land the Packers a top 15 player with a second round pick. I was hoping he might even fall to the 3rd round, but based on what is being said, the surgery was a a success and his recovery may allow him to play this year and he will probably go in the second round.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
While I would be concerned about Jones and a full recovery from his ruptured achilles tendon, I wouldn't go so far as to say he "will get hurt all the time" because of it. I don't know Jones's complete college resume, but it appears he played in most if not all of the Huskies games as a freshman (13) , sophomore (13) and his final junior year (14). This one particular injury, if he fully recovers could land the Packers a top 15 player with a second round pick. I was hoping he might even fall to the 3rd round, but based on what is being said, the surgery was a a success and his recovery may allow him to play this year and he will probably go in the second round.

I've seen this guy in person. He is very small *****. I don't really understand all the hype about him either other then he played on a good defense at Washington. He isn't horrible or anything but I just don't see a guy that will be able to physically match up against the likes of a Dez Bryant or Julio Jones or AJ Green etc etc.

As I posted I believe King will be a better pro.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts