Cornerbacks

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree that's a strong possibility. However, even if he's projecting Randall and Rollins on the perimeter, he still doesn't have a nickel corner. Nickel corner is no longer an afterthought. He's a "starter" in terms of snap count, and defending slots and TEs is no minor consideration. More teams are emphasizing the slot receiver, and many do what the Packers do in having Nelson and Adams run from the slot to exploit a matchup. There's also the matter of having a potential backup plan if Randall or Rollins does not show improvement. Third, you have both safeties entering FA next year, so a nickel/safety type accounts for that vulnerability.

As I've been saying for quite some time, the odds of it being a corner are fairly high but it might not be the kind of corner most people think. Then I looked at Awuzi's tape, and lo and behold, there's that guy who fits squarely in the 25-50 group where there isn't a lot to separate them other than need, scheme fit and subjective projection.

In conclusion, I don't expect Thompson to select Awuzi. ;)

I don't expect Awuzie either. I could see Demontae Kazee as an option at nickel. Thompson loves to go out west for players and Kazee would be a better nickel then Rollins IMO.

Kazee is a 3-4th round option.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that's a strong possibility. However, even if he's projecting Randall and Rollins on the perimeter, he still doesn't have a nickel corner. Nickel corner is no longer an afterthought. He's a "starter" in terms of snap count, and defending slots and TEs is no minor consideration.

It's possible that Thompson considers House and Randall the starters on the outside with Rollins being the nickel cornerback.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's possible that Thompson considers House and Randall the starters on the outside with Rollins being the nickel cornerback.

I don't like Rollins in the nickel. He is too slow in and out of breaks.

Come to think of it I don't like Rollins anywhere. ;)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft is deep at OLB, CB, RB, and safety. Coincidently, we need one of each to a varying degree. By the end of the 5th round, we will likely have at least one of each.

H

HardRightEdge

This draft is deep at OLB, CB, RB, and safety. Coincidently, we need one of each to a varying degree. By the end of the 5th round, we will likely have at least one of each.
Throw in a WR and you draw to an inside straight. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

I don't like Rollins in the nickel. He is too slow in and out of breaks.

Come to think of it I don't like Rollins anywhere. ;)
Yeah, I'm not keen on Rollins manning up in the slot for exactly that reason. Hyde had the same issue. While rolling the dice with him on the perimeter in lieu of Gunter might be an upgrade, it's still not terribly compelling. House strikes me as a cheap Plan B or C insurance policy in the event that Plan A or B do not work out with A being Rollins and B being a draftee. Worst case, you have a dime DB in House or in Rollins if he loses the job.

The problem remains, you're not going to get a day one perimeter corner without some question marks in this draft at #29, and the rookie warts and missteps might not get you much more than you'll get out of Rollins or, alternatively, House.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not keen on Rollins manning up in the slot for exactly that reason. Hyde had the same issue. While rolling the dice with him on the perimeter in lieu of Gunter might be an upgrade, it's still not terribly compelling. House strikes me as a cheap Plan B or C insurance policy in the event that Plan A or B do not work out with A being Rollins and B being a draftee. Worst case, you have a dime DB in House or in Rollins if he loses the job.

The problem remains, you're not going to get a day one perimeter corner without some question marks in this draft at #29, and the rookie warts and missteps might not get you much more than you'll get out of Rollins or, alternatively, House.

That's exactly why I don't want them to draft a corner at 29. I don't see it as a quick fix at all. I think some people have tricked themselves that picking a corner and attaching a 1st round grade to the problem seems like a possible immediate solution. While you could roll snake eyes and get a corner that would be immediately better then what we have now it's highly unlikely.

I think there is a "long shot answer" on the roster with Josh Hawkins who i've backed since signing as an UDFA. Maybe not as an outside guy but possibly in the nickle.

Unfortunately this is the position Thompson has put everyone in.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The buzz right now is that teams feel good enough about the initial reports on Conley to take him in the 3rd round. If that's really the case, I don't see why the Packers shouldn't take that risk in the 2nd. Because if the start of round three is where most teams feel comfortable, he certainly won't make it into the 90's.

An eventually exonerated Gareon Conley at pick #61 would be the steal of the draft. With Lattimore's hamstrings, Conley has a case to be the top corner in this draft. OSU matched him up with some really good receivers in press man with no safety help and he delivered.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we went King in the first and Conley was sitting there in the second would you guys be upset if we picked both those guys 1&2 ?

If they were confident that the accusations are bogus, absolutely.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts