Collective Bargaining Agreement/ Favre

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard one of the ESPN "experts" say this morning that Brett would probably not announce his decision until around March 15th.
His reasoning was, that if there is no collective bargaining agreement by March 3rd, the Packers (and presumably all teams) will have to pinch pennies and cut high priced players to prepare for the pending financial crises which will begin in 2007.
If that was the case there is no way Favre would return as the team would be further decimated.

I can't believe that any of the parties involved would want to see this come to pass and they will have an agreement in place by March 3rd.
If not there will surely be a strike in 2008.

Beware the Ides of March.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan4ever said:

Agreed - it sounded too much like a room full o' Lawyers as ESPN was trying to explain the upcoming mess, last weekend. Don Henley said... well, you know...

According to a first take from the report - the top of the heap will get all the donuts, while the rest get to starve, .....is how I took it.....

Anyone?

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shared revenue and the salary cap are what make the NFL great. It's an even playing field for every team. Not like the 2 BB's. If they can't get an agreement I hope they have a lockout. The increases now only go to increase the top players salaries, which are already ludicrous. If the increased monies helped something worthwhile like injury ended careers, practice team players, past players(pensions) that made the game what it is, cut ticket costs so people can afford to take their families to games, etc. that would be fine. But it's all about greed.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defenitely Greed on both sides of it. The CBA is what allowed the Pack to get on top again many people forget that without it the Pack would have never been able to get reggie in

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
packerfan4ever said:

Agreed - it sounded too much like a room full o' Lawyers as ESPN was trying to explain the upcoming mess, last weekend. Don Henley said... well, you know...

According to a first take from the report - the top of the heap will get all the donuts, while the rest get to starve, .....is how I took it.....

Anyone?

Unfortunately prez, it will probably be a bunch of lawyers that determine the outcome.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
I don't get why teams would have to pinch pennies. If no new deal is reached, the 2007 season would be an uncapped year.

They'll have to pinch pennies for a at least a couple of reasons.

1. If there is an uncapped year, teams can only spread signing bonuses over a maximum of 4 years i.e. max 4 year deals (which will have a serious impact when the CBA is finally reached - as it will undoubtedly contain a cap). Players will have much higher cap numbers when the deal is finally reached.

2. While teams will be permitted to spend freely for one year, the general feeling is that the NFL will not grandfather any contracts agreed to in the uncapped year. Teams will have to comply with the new cap immediately so it will be important to save as much cap space as possible.

There are probably more, but these are the two biggest that I can think of.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing, that thing they call "vision". Wellington Mara, deceased owner of the NY Giants, was responsible back in the 1960s for the revenue sharing agreement because he had the vision to understand that the league could not and would not flourish with a couple big money teams and a bunch of perpetual also-rans. Here is a guy that took money out of his own pocket to feed the leage for its long term betterment.

Today, we have Danny Boy Snider and Jerry Jones. Huh....I thought the human species EVOLVED over time!!

OP
OP
Y

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Funny thing, that thing they call "vision". Wellington Mara, deceased owner of the NY Giants, was responsible back in the 1960s for the revenue sharing agreement because he had the vision to understand that the league could not and would not flourish with a couple big money teams and a bunch of perpetual also-rans. Here is a guy that took money out of his own pocket to feed the leage for its long term betterment.

Today, we have Danny Boy Snider and Jerry Jones. Huh....I thought the human species EVOLVED over time!!
Yeah, those two teams, and throw Seattle into the equation, have deep pockets.
This is where the New York Yankee syndrome kicks in---- lets buy our selves a championship.
The Green Bay Packers would be hard pressed to compete or even survive for very long in that financial stratosphere.

I DO believe a deal will get done that benefits ALL not just a select few.

These NFL and Players Union suits ain't stupid enough to kill pro football I hope.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yooper....we are talking about a bunch of lawyers for both sides. Do you really have confidence that these parasites (all due respect to respectable lawyers, TOP) will do what is right. Just look at our courts and lawsuits and our culture....driven to the brink by lawyers.

I am not as optimistic.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Yooper....we are talking about a bunch of lawyers for both sides. Do you really have confidence that these parasites (all due respect to respectable lawyers, TOP) will do what is right. Just look at our courts and lawsuits and our culture....driven to the brink by lawyers.

I am not as optimistic.

Hey digs I am a lawyer myself, please be more respectful with my fellow lawyers.

By the way other than me, my good friend Luis (who is a lawyer and a banker, one of the worst possible combinations ever) and Saint Thomas Moore, who has been dead for quite a long time, I dont recall any other lawyer that I will trust !!!!! je,je,je !!!!!

By the way do you know that scientist are begining to run experimental testing on lawyers instead of white lab rats???

Mostly because of the following reasons:

1.- Lawyers are easier to find than rats.
2.- There are some things that even rats would not do.
3.- It is easier to build a sentimental relation with a rat than with a lawyer !!

Have a good day !!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Chamuko....over here in ViQueens' land....the Twin Shitties! Humor me, what is the temperature down your way?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$hit,,, I would say 75 degrees Fahrenheit, beautiful blue sky,, not that bad, not that bad.... My kids will be in the pool in about 3 hours.... But the bad thing here is that you can never tell the difference between spring, summer , fall and winter.... I was talking yesterday with THE ONLY VIKING FAN that I consider my friend about this too, he also lives up in Sain Paul Mn..... Anyway I think I will have lunch outside today !!!! Will drink a beer to you !!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Tequila my friend acctually will be Tequila Beer and Chicken Wings at the local *******, 5 minutes from my office !!!! You gave me the bad idea of enjoying this weather !!! Isnt it nice to live in a country were people is still free???? were people doesnt really care a lot about political correctness? were you can still teach your 3 year old kid to call a nice girl "hello babe" or give him a little sip of cold beer and dont get sued by your own wife?

Have agood day, enjoy your 12 degrees and your bunch of snow I will see some snow in the form of ICE CREAM for dessert today !!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said in his siggy: "An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." - Philip of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great"

"An army of deer led by a lion (unless that Lion is Joey Harrington) is more to be feared then an army of Lions lead by Matt Millen!"-Cheesey......father of Alexander the pretty good."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Chamuko!
As SOON as i read your siggy, it just POPPED into my head.......and i HAD to write it down! :lol:

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't understand is there's 32 teams, Danny(the Spoiled Brat)Snider and Jerry(the Rules Don't Apply to Me)Jones are only two people, a few more may side with them, why don't the other 25+/- say get with the program or get out. It's their league, do what's right, screw the lawyers.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
IPBprez said:
packerfan4ever said:

Anyone?

Unfortunately prez, it will probably be a bunch of lawyers that determine the outcome.

I hear ya... that's the shame of it -- I'd like to be a fly on the wall at those Owner's meetings... I can just bet Jerry Jones is the lead on this..... As soon as what's his face retired, stepped down, whatever... I knew they would start whizzin in the wind on this... With Jerry, it's never been about the game... Tom Landry is rolling over in his grave!

Members online

Latest posts