Cole Madison is coming back to play this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Thompson's first draft he took the BPA by a long shot even tho QB wasn't a major need at all. I recall a lot of moaning and hand wringing but a lot of folks that day too. I think that pick turned out pretty good. :D

Rodgers being the only player left in the top tier with the Packers on the clock was the rare exception though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Thompson's first draft he took the BPA by a long shot even tho QB wasn't a major need at all. I recall a lot of moaning and hand wringing but a lot of folks that day too. I think that pick turned out pretty good. :D
using an extreme example to prove a more general point is unrealistic. Rodgers was projected by many to be the number 1 overall pick... As I recall the 49ers picking Alex Smith instead of Rodgers came down to the fact that they were able to come to contract terms with Smith before the draft and not with Rodgers. I have not seen this reported or mentioned since that time... but I distinctly remember that being discussed prior to the draft. Taking Rodgers when he fell to the Packers was the obvious right decision... but does nothing to disprove the fact that need generally needs to be a factor in a who to draft.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It did, but to play the devil's advocate... we have one Superbowl with Rodgers. Had we taken say... Roddy White... would we have had another big weapon for Favre to get us to another SB?

Further, Rodgers likely would have went to the Redskins at the next pick - they threw Jason Campbell into the fire in 2006 (one year behind Brunell). Maybe Rodgers has a similar career despite the two additional years of riding the pine learning from Favre, but maybe he doesn't become the same player.

Guess we'll never know. Roddy White did take three years to mature into a reliable starter, but was a great player when he did.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It did, but to play the devil's advocate... we have one Superbowl with Rodgers. Had we taken say... Roddy White... would we have had another big weapon for Favre to get us to another SB?

Further, Rodgers likely would have went to the Redskins at the next pick - they threw Jason Campbell into the fire in 2006 (one year behind Brunell). Maybe Rodgers has a similar career despite the two additional years of riding the pine learning from Favre, but maybe he doesn't become the same player.

Guess we'll never know. Roddy White did take three years to mature into a reliable starter, but was a great player when he did.

I was thinking the same thing. Yes I am glad we got Rodgers but we don't know if some other player would have had an even bigger affect. I doubt it but you never know and a pick (or non pick) in one year may affect future picks.

You know what really scare me about that though. The next year they may have felt they needed a QB and taken Jay Cutler instead of AJ Hawk.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Yes I am glad we got Rodgers but we don't know if some other player would have had an even bigger affect. I doubt it but you never know and a pick (or non pick) in one year may affect future picks.

You know what really scare me about that though. The next year they may have felt they needed a QB and taken Jay Cutler instead of AJ Hawk.
even scarier is that I remember watching Cutler at Vanderbilt and thinking that he reminded me of Favre with that arm... hopefully the Packers wouldn’t have been as stupid as me lol.

Reaction score
I’m still hopeful that as long as we can improve Rodgers protection at OL/TE.. and give him a weapon or two each season, Aaron will pick teams apart like normal. I’d like to see one more OT and one more OG added by pick #150 at the latest.

That and our D has just been borderline a circus at times, however it took a small step forward last year. IMO, we still need to improve into that top #12 D rating area for us to have a decent shot at a SB.
I keep going back to NE. When you take a minute to study the D ratings of NE during Brady’s tenure it’s downright impressive. GB has to get a better balanced team and needs to focus on doing a better job of getting the ball back in Rodgers hands 1-2 more possessions a game. That’s become a lost art that we used to be good at and it all starts with QB pressure.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ya, smoking Jay Cutler would have been a wild ride. The draft that would have totally changed would have been 2009. No Raji, no Matthews... Things would have been REAL different around here.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, because he was the only 1st grade they had remaining.

Andrew Brandt said they wanted to trade down. If there was anybody else on their board left that had a 1st round grade, they would have taken them.

BPA does happen, but it's much less common than people think.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to understand a Packers fan advocating the team should have drafted White instead of Rodgers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m still hopeful that as long as we can improve Rodgers protection at OL/TE.. and give him a weapon or two each season, Aaron will pick teams apart like normal. I’d like to see one more OT and one more OG added by pick #150 at the latest.

That and our D has just been borderline a circus at times, however it took a small step forward last year. IMO, we still need to improve into that top #12 D rating area for us to have a decent shot at a SB.
I keep going back to NE. When you take a minute to study the D ratings of NE during Brady’s tenure it’s downright impressive. GB has to get a better balanced team and needs to focus on doing a better job of getting the ball back in Rodgers hands 1-2 more possessions a game. That’s become a lost art that we used to be good at and it all starts with QB pressure.

In the other thread we were talking about Rodgers being able to play until he is 40. The good thing about having a defense that is always on the field is that your QB is less likely to get hurt. Just looking for that silver lining ;)

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to understand a Packers fan advocating the team should have drafted White instead of Rodgers.

Again, devil's advocate here... Rodgers took 4 years to do anything for this franchise. In that time Roddy became a top talent at WR. Javon (had he stayed)/Roddy/Driver would have looked better to me than Driver/Jennings/Jones. Obviously, we won't know which would have produced more superbowl's... just interesting to think about.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, devil's advocate here... Rodgers took 4 years to do anything for this franchise. In that time Roddy became a top talent at WR. Javon (had he stayed)/Roddy/Driver would have looked better to me than Driver/Jennings/Jones. Obviously, we won't know which would have produced more superbowl's... just interesting to think about.

You're right that it's impossible to know if drafting White would have resulted in more or less Super Bowl wins for the Packers. I don't question Thompson's decision to select the most efficient quarterback in league history though.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Lets say the Packers draft White, and keep Favre till 2010. That still would have been 8-9 years and counting (potentially) without an elite level quarterback.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets say the Packers draft White, and keep Favre till 2010. That still would have been 8-9 years and counting (potentially) without an elite level quarterback.

Continuing this narrative as it's interesting to think about.

Tough to say, they could have drafted Luck if they tanked post Favre.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While a fun conversation, you just never know how things like that would have worked out, change one event and it can change many...The Butterfly effect. Roddy White's career could have gone in many different directions in Green Bay. You could have the same conversation for every player drafted after Rodgers and had he been selected by the Packers instead of Rodgers, how he may have changed the future of the Packers. Heck, even Rodgers himself might be on a completely different path had the Packers not drafted him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or we could have (potentially) another SB or two with another QB and a few other players.

The only thing we know is what has happened with the players we drafted. We have no way of knowing what would have happened if we had drafted differently. An extra win or two or loss or two and we have different players available. Those players may have made us better or they may have made us worse.

Overall I'm happy with what we have done with Rodgers but its sometimes fun to think what if.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Farve had cashed it in and was no longer the QB. His lack of effort in cold playoff games cost us 2 SB runs. A shiny new WR would never have changed that. A better plan would have been to hand the reigns over to Rodgers sooner and trade Favre to Minny who would have given us more in trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

A better plan would have been to hand the reigns over to Rodgers sooner and trade Favre to Minny who would have given us more in trade.

I'm not sure the Packers were convinced that Rodgers would be able to develop into an elite quarterback sooner though.

H

HardRightEdge

While a fun conversation, you just never know how things like that would have worked out, change one event and it can change many...The Butterfly effect.
Taking it one step further:

Einstein said, "The distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

:whistling:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure the Packers were convinced that Rodgers would be able to develop into an elite quarterback sooner though.

They clearly should of taken the Vikings for 2 first round picks instead of taking a 2nd from the jets. If they were worried about the favre led Vikings significantly weakened by the loss of 2 firsts, still being better than the Rodgers led Packers then they shouldn't have been trading favre in the first place

D

Deleted member 6794

They clearly should of taken the Vikings for 2 first round picks instead of taking a 2nd from the jets. If they were worried about the favre led Vikings significantly weakened by the loss of 2 firsts, still being better than the Rodgers led Packers then they shouldn't have been trading favre in the first place

I agree the Packers should have taken the better offer for Favre but understand them being hesitant about trading him to a division rival.

Members online

Latest posts