Cole Madison is coming back to play this season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Great to see indeed. He may or may not ever play a down for the Packers, but it seems as if his personal issues have been remedied, or at least aren't going to get in the way of football anymore.

I'm pulling for the guy. Hopefully he proves valuable and makes an impact for the Packers. We could use it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's is awesome. Hoping he can contribute, at the very least he gets to live out his dream.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great to see indeed. He may or may not ever play a down for the Packers, but it seems as if his personal issues have been remedied, or at least aren't going to get in the way of football anymore.

I'm pulling for the guy. Hopefully he proves valuable and makes an impact for the Packers. We could use it.
If the kid can take a year, deal with what needed dealing with, and get back at it that will be a great thing for him personally and professionally. Maybe he was ready to come back at some point last year even and they told him, just get it all right, we'll start you off right in the NFL next season. Who knows, but I am excited for the kid for multiple reasons, and yes some are selfish packer fan reasons :)

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need all the help we can get on the OL, but still, need to address the position through the Draft. Looking forward to him being a piece to solve the equation in 2019.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
great. that may change their ol draft strategy.

I hope not.

This is a 5th round pick who missed his entire rookie season after playing in college in an air raid offense who would also be switching positions. I'm glad he's coming back, but he should not be counted on. If he's a hit, that's gravy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope not.

This is a 5th round pick who missed his entire rookie season after playing in college in an air raid offense who would also be switching positions. I'm glad he's coming back, but he should not be counted on. If he's a hit, that's gravy.

Heh, you're post is almost word for word what I was about to post, including "gravy".
Great minds think alike.:D

Reaction score
I’m glad for him and his family. Hopefully he can get back to work and do what he obviously loves. Sometimes getting back involved is exactly what we need to keep our mind occupied on the good.
I hope he can regain with perseverance to be that player who inspires others again, like he did in college with his QB.
Aaron Rodgers n Co might be just what this kid needs to focus on right now. He’s fortunate the GB front office is working with him. Kudos to the personnel department.

As for relying on him? I see him as lost n found. He’s a bonus 5th rounder now that was written off, so nothing gained nothing lost if it doesn’t gel. I’ll be rooting for him to make his mark though. Great opportunity for him and us.

Guys we just got our 11th pick!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wish all the best for Cole. It was reported that those close to him thought he might never play football again as recently as January.

He will probably have an uphill battle to make the 53, but guessing if he looks decent enough, PS isn't out of the question.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope not.

Yeah not gonna change anything draft wise. I still think they take at least 1 if not 2 offensive linemen in the first 4 rounds. Best case scenario Madison hits the ground running along with Turner and they make lane Taylor a backup

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He is great depth at RG and they always felt he was a possibility at RT too. Versatile.

I am just glad he is ok and is back! Love it!

Welcome back Cole!

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I truly believe Cole would have won the starting RG job last year. He was impressing coaches on the field and in meetings in May and June last year. He was a big loss.

He is most naturally a RT and I think he and Billy Turner are the best shots to replace Bulaga next season.

I have never felt the OL was such a huge need early in this draft like some here and this honestly makes me feel even more confident in the depth on the OL. I don't expect Gute to touch a OL in the first 2 rounds. Add some depth to the line later? Absolutely!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Madison entered the locker room today, solemnly walked to Rodgers, kneeled, and presented him with a gift.

Rodgers, somewhat confused, opened the small, wrapped box. Inside was a human index finger.

Rodgers: What the heck is this?!

Madison: It's the typing finger of Tyler Dunne, sire. I bring it to you as token of my dedication.

Rodgers: You took the dude's finger off??!!

Madison: Yes, Lord. Take it as proof that I will always protect you.

Rodgers: ... I like it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm glad Madison is able to join the Packers after having to take off a season but he's a long shot to even make the roster in 2019.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is great news. i am happy for him that he feels better. He was impressive last year and his versatility is always good. He may have a solid chance for the RG position.
But I dont think that will change the draft much. Packers still need a new RT because I doubt Bulaga will extend. I still bet in an OT in round 1 and then a midround pick for depth.

D

Deleted member 6794

But I dont think that will change the draft much. Packers still need a new RT because I doubt Bulaga will extend.

While Bulaga might be interested in extending his contract the Packers should pass on offering him a deal.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is great news. i am happy for him that he feels better. He was impressive last year and his versatility is always good. He may have a solid chance for the RG position.
But I dont think that will change the draft much. Packers still need a new RT because I doubt Bulaga will extend. I still bet in an OT in round 1 and then a midround pick for depth.

I agree that Cole coming back isn't going to drastically change Gute's approach to the draft, but I do think Gute has a more positive view of his OL roster than what you may think.

Bulaga will indeed most likely be replaced in 2020, but as I stated above, Madison and Turner are likely going to be in the mix for the RT job in 2020. I wouldn't hand him the job today, but Billy Turner is the likely RG this season. Cole coming back does though give the Packers some more depth along the OL and judging from his performance early in his rookie offseason, he is very likely to make the final 53. Very smart, talented, and versatile offensive lineman.

I do think Gute will address the OL at some point in this draft, I just would not be as confident he will do it in the first round as you are.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the kid can take a year, deal with what needed dealing with, and get back at it that will be a great thing for him personally and professionally. Maybe he was ready to come back at some point last year even and they told him, just get it all right, we'll start you off right in the NFL next season. Who knows, but I am excited for the kid for multiple reasons, and yes some are selfish packer fan reasons :)

Thanks for that last part. I am sure we all hope Cole Madison makes a full recovery from whatever it is that affects him but lets be honest, the only reason 99% of us know who he is is because he was drafted by the Packers. I'm not saying that makes our well wishes any less sincere just that Cole Madison is not the only reason most of us are concerned.

We need all the help we can get on the OL, but still, need to address the position through the Draft. Looking forward to him being a piece to solve the equation in 2019.

I hope you are right about him being a piece to help our OL woes but I don't think his reporting should change anything other than the way the Packers plug guys into their rotation.

great. that may change their ol draft strategy.

As others have replied I hope not and I doubt it.

Wish all the best for Cole. It was reported that those close to him thought he might never play football again as recently as January.

He will probably have an uphill battle to make the 53, but guessing if he looks decent enough, PS isn't out of the question.

I agree, 5th rounders don't always make it to begin with and missing a year will not help any. Still, as they say that which does not kill us makes us stronger and it is possible whatever CM went through it could help push him. For the sake of all involved I hope that is the case.

I truly believe Cole would have won the starting RG job last year. He was impressing coaches on the field and in meetings in May and June last year. He was a big loss.

He is most naturally a RT and I think he and Billy Turner are the best shots to replace Bulaga next season.

I have never felt the OL was such a huge need early in this draft like some here and this honestly makes me feel even more confident in the depth on the OL. I don't expect Gute to touch a OL in the first 2 rounds. Add some depth to the line later? Absolutely!

We disagree strongly on this. While many view the draft as what we need for this year it is also the best place to plan for the future. I also believe that relying on late round picks to develop in quality starting players, while it can happen, is not a smart way to go about it. If you are talking about one or possibly even 2 positions on the line you might be able to cover the weakness somewhat but you need at a minimum 3 positions that are strong (preferably all 5 but 4 is more realistic) and I think the best way to go about that is by drafting top prospects.

Thought I read it here but it must have been on another forum but I hope the reporters leave him alone. I don't expect them to but I'm sure part of the reason he took time off was he need time to work through his issues without all the publicity that would have no doubt come with trying to make an NFL team. I hope the first reporter who asks him "why did you take a year off" gets punched in the face by someone. If he volunteers information it will be obvious that he views it as part of the healing process but it shouldn't be dragged out of him. The kid faces enough pressure without the constant reminders.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FWIW

Cole Madison prospect analysis from 2018:

Bio:
Four-year starter at right tackle who earned Second Team All-Pac-12 honors as a senior. Named Honorable Mention All-Pac-12 in 2015 and 2016. Started eight games as a redshirt freshman.
Pos:
Hard-working blocker with possibilities at a number of offensive line positions. Stays square, makes outstanding use of angles and keeps defenders in front of him. Quickly gets off the snap, keeps his feet moving and displays solid lateral range in pass protection. Blocks with leverage and proper pad level and anchors at the point.
Neg:
Must be more consistent with his hand placement. More of a position blocker than a true mauler. Average athlete.
Analysis:
Madison was a hard-working right tackle who got the most from his ability. He offers possibilities as a backup right tackle and will also get consideration inside at guard.

http://draftanalyst.com/cole-madison

Members online

Latest posts