Cole Madison is coming back to play this season.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that last part. I am sure we all hope Cole Madison makes a full recovery from whatever it is that affects him but lets be honest, the only reason 99% of us know who he is is because he was drafted by the Packers. I'm not saying that makes our well wishes any less sincere just that Cole Madison is not the only reason most of us are concerned.

I hope you are right about him being a piece to help our OL woes but I don't think his reporting should change anything other than the way the Packers plug guys into their rotation.

As others have replied I hope not and I doubt it.

I agree, 5th rounders don't always make it to begin with and missing a year will not help any. Still, as they say that which does not kill us makes us stronger and it is possible whatever CM went through it could help push him. For the sake of all involved I hope that is the case.

We disagree strongly on this. While many view the draft as what we need for this year it is also the best place to plan for the future. I also believe that relying on late round picks to develop in quality starting players, while it can happen, is not a smart way to go about it. If you are talking about one or possibly even 2 positions on the line you might be able to cover the weakness somewhat but you need at a minimum 3 positions that are strong (preferably all 5 but 4 is more realistic) and I think the best way to go about that is by drafting top prospects.

Thought I read it here but it must have been on another forum but I hope the reporters leave him alone. I don't expect them to but I'm sure part of the reason he took time off was he need time to work through his issues without all the publicity that would have no doubt come with trying to make an NFL team. I hope the first reporter who asks him "why did you take a year off" gets punched in the face by someone. If he volunteers information it will be obvious that he views it as part of the healing process but it shouldn't be dragged out of him. The kid faces enough pressure without the constant reminders.
I never commented on whether Cole should be asked by reporters why he took a year off so It's odd that you randomly bring that up in a reply to me. Moving on.

On the Packers drafting OL early(first 2 rounds) in this draft:

I have said several times here that I don't think Gute views his OL roster in as negative of a way that many here seem to.

I wouldn't count out a OL taken in the first 3 picks, but I don't think it's a must as some have implied.

I do think you can never have enough good players at any position and always should be looking to improve EVERY position group on the team. I do feel depth will be added to the O-line this draft and maybe that will be in the first or second round, but I would expect the OL addressed in the 3rd round or later. Not saying that I am against ever taking a OL early, but I wouldn't count on it this year if you are one of the ones saying a OL needs to be taken in the first or second.

Reaction score
To me we just picked up a bonus 5th rounder at a position we already knew needed competition for depth. That’s huge, it’s like getting a bonus top 140 selection.

The only thing I’ll say in reference to drafting at the position of OL is that nothing is mandatory. Although there’s no exact science on a per player basis, speaking in objective, statistical generalities.. you get what you pay for.
I don’t mind as much drafting an OG or C in the mid rounds but Aaron Rodgers deserves better than that to replace an aging and oft injured Bulaga as a bookend.

That said, if we see a 2nd OT prospect slip a round or two? I’d absolutely hit the position if he’s tops on the board. Particularly if he is versatile or athletic enough to cover multiple positions.

But we really do need to draft a premier OT now for a variety of reasons. I wouldn’t go past #44 if possible unless there’s just stupid talent there in the first 3 selections. If not, I’d package to move back into the top 60-70 range if necessary.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To me we just picked up a bonus 5th rounder at a position we already knew needed competition for depth. That’s huge, it’s like getting a bonus top 140 selection.

The only thing I’ll say in reference to drafting at the position of OL is that nothing is mandatory. Although there’s no exact science on a per player basis, speaking in objective, statistical generalities.. you get what you pay for.
I don’t mind as much drafting an OG or C in the mid rounds but Aaron Rodgers deserves better than that to replace an aging and oft injured Bulaga as a bookend.

That said, if we see a 2nd OT prospect slip a round or two? I’d absolutely hit the position if he’s tops on the board. Particularly if he is versatile or athletic enough to cover multiple positions.

But we really do need to draft a premier OT now for a variety of reasons. I wouldn’t go past #44 if possible unless there’s just stupid talent there in the first 3 selections. If not, I’d package to move back into the top 60-70 range if necessary.
All I am saying is that if someone is counting on a OL being taken in the first or second round by the Pack this year, they may find themselves very disappointed.

I am not saying it couldn't or shouldn't happen, but I am saying that it is quite possible that no OL will be taken until the 3rd round or later.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never commented on whether Cole should be asked by reporters why he took a year off so It's odd that you randomly bring that up in a reply to me. Moving on.

On the Packers drafting OL early(first 2 rounds) in this draft:

I have said several times here that I don't think Gute views his OL roster in as negative of a way that many here seem to.

I wouldn't count out a OL taken in the first 3 picks, but I don't think it's a must as some have implied.

I do think you can never have enough good players at any position and always should be looking to improve EVERY position group on the team. I do feel depth will be added to the O-line this draft and maybe that will be in the first or second round, but I would expect the OL addressed in the 3rd round or later. Not saying that I am against ever taking a OL early, but I wouldn't count on it this year if you are one of the ones saying a OL needs to be taken in the first or second.

My entire post was relating to Cole Madison so I added a general comment after my response to you. I guess my saying I must have read it somewhere else wasn't enough of a clue. From now on I will spell it out for you.

INGUTEWETRUST THIS REPLY IS FOR YOU:

I just don't see how you can have such an insight into what other people think. I mean here you claim to know what Gute thinks of the OL. In another thread you claim to know what LaFleur thinks of the WR group.

Most of us (oh, this is still aimed at you by the way) don't presume to know what others think if those people have not expressly told us what they think. We give our opinions and not the opinions we think others have. Especially when we can really have no clue as to what the opinions of others are.

I made a comment (still talking to you IGWT) in one of my first replies to you and I am starting to wonder if I was not a bit premature.

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My entire post was relating to Cole Madison so I added a general comment after my response to you. I guess my saying I must have read it somewhere else wasn't enough of a clue. From now on I will spell it out for you.

INGUTEWETRUST THIS REPLY IS FOR YOU:

I just don't see how you can have such an insight into what other people think. I mean here you claim to know what Gute thinks of the OL. In another thread you claim to know what LaFleur thinks of the WR group.

Most of us (oh, this is still aimed at you by the way) don't presume to know what others think if those people have not expressly told us what they think. We give our opinions and not the opinions we think others have. Especially when we can really have no clue as to what the opinions of others are.

I made a comment (still talking to you IGWT) in one of my first replies to you and I am starting to wonder if I was not a bit premature.
I never claimed to know what exactly Gute is thinking. I said that I think that it is possible that Gute may not have as negative of a view of his offensive line roster as you do.

I also never said I knew what LaFleur was thinking. I posted a DIRECT QUOTE from LaFleur that didn't jive with what you had written about the WR group in the past so you then said you don't "put much stock into what coaches say about their players" or something to that affect. I think you also said most people here feel a certain way about the WR group and implied that because I feel differently than most here that I am wrong.

I find you quite amusing so I actually enjoy your posts and hope you continue to provide me entertainment when I am here. Thank you!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why is every thread turning into feisty @InGuteWeTrust arguing about what people thought he meant versus what he actually meant versus what they themselves meant versus what they thought they meant versus what life means versus what the word "meant" means versus what the word "loaded" means?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why is every thread turning into feisty @InGuteWeTrust arguing about what people thought he meant versus what he actually meant versus what they themselves meant versus what they thought they meant versus what life means versus what the word "meant" means versus what the word "loaded" means?

What do you mean? :whistling:

H

HardRightEdge

I do think Gute will address the OL at some point in this draft, I just would not be as confident he will do it in the first round as you are.
Judging from the guys he's bringing in for interviews it looks like there's interest in an OL pick fairly high in the draft.

H

HardRightEdge

I discovered the meaning of life but I'm keeping it to myself. :whistling:

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Judging from the guys he's bringing in for interviews it looks like there's interest in an OL pick fairly high in the draft.
I'm happy for you that you feel he is taking a OL early in the draft. I wish you luck on your OL wish in the first round of the draft.

#InGuteWeTrust

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if they took OL in rounds 1 or 2. it also wouldn't surprise me to no see one taking until round 4 either.

About the only thing that would surprise me day 1 would be a RB, as I don't see a Barkley type back being available when we pick to make it maybe worth it.

Reaction score
That’s a fine question, but I really felt the true meaning of what he really meant should be addressed in the meantime. That is..when it comes down to any argument? the average of the number of those arguments is the arguments actual mean. Im trying to express this while not coming across as being mean. You know what I mean?

Last edited:

Lareten

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to have Madison back, him along with Turner, Siragusa, Light and DeBeer offer some intriguing young options along the OL. My biggest question is what shape he's in? It's one thing to take a year off and be working out every day and it's another to take a year off and be watching soap operas every day.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the kid can take a year, deal with what needed dealing with, and get back at it that will be a great thing for him personally and professionally. Maybe he was ready to come back at some point last year even and they told him, just get it all right, we'll start you off right in the NFL next season. Who knows, but I am excited for the kid for multiple reasons, and yes some are selfish packer fan reasons :)
Interesting take. He may have been ready sometime last season, but yeah best for him and the team to take the required time, and most important, get him involved from Day 1 with a clean start. I’m pulling for him, and not just as a rabid Pack fan. Hard to lose a close friend in such an awful way. Go Cole!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to have Madison back, him along with Turner, Siragusa, Light and DeBeer offer some intriguing young options along the OL. My biggest question is what shape he's in? It's one thing to take a year off and be working out every day and it's another to take a year off and be watching soap operas every day.
Good point. He likely was not focused on football. All the better he gets a clean start with everyone else. Good for him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IGWT is the new Brandon

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Madison entered the locker room today, solemnly walked to Rodgers, kneeled, and presented him with a gift.

Rodgers, somewhat confused, opened the small, wrapped box. Inside was a human index finger.

Rodgers: What the heck is this?!

Madison: It's the typing finger of Tyler Dunne, sire. I bring it to you as token of my dedication.

Rodgers: You took the dude's finger off??!!

Madison: Yes, Lord. Take it as proof that I will always protect you.

Rodgers: ... I like it.

Weird, gross, but very creative. I like it.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great news. Whereas I was all for drafting 2 OL man in the draft, I think adding one flexible guy will be sufficient in stabilizing our line (with Williams, Ford, Risner as options in the 1st).

Oline:
Bahk - Taylor - Linsley - Turner/Rookie - Bulaga
Turner/Rookie - McCray - Madison - Patrick - Spriggs

That Depth Chart could look a whole lot worse. Plenty of other teams do not have such a talented OL group.

Members online

Latest posts