Cobb signs with cowboys

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's kinda hard when either A. The ball isn't being thrown to you or B. The ball isn't thrown accurately for you to make a grab at it. Don't put this on Jordy! As I mentioned Jordy was leading the league in TDs prior to Rodgers going down, and somehow you're saying it's his fault when the backup QB couldn't play for ####? C'mon man, everyone suffered not just him.

All it took was one "bad" year in comparison to all the good years he's had prior to that with a horrible QB, and you guys were ready to get rid of him. I believe the saying goes, with friends like you, who needs enemies? Why don't we get rid of Rodgers then if that's all it takes.
I saw Jordy drop catchable balls. It wasn't just Hundley. and James Jones had better stats with a rookie car than Jordy did with a seasoned one and a field stretching TE. He wasn't worth 10 million dollars at that point.

I've played tippy cup with Jordy's dad, it's not like he wasn't one of my favorite players to ever wear a Packer uniform. But I have zero issue with them moving on when they did.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was one year, and that was with Brett Hundley behind center. Outside of Devante, everyone suffered. Have you seen how inaccurate the dude was? Devante was his prefered target as he had better chemistry with him in comparison to others. And somehow this is Jordy's fault? C'mon man. The previous year Jordy had over 1000 yard catches, and before Rodgers went down he was leading in TDS in the league if I'm not mistaken. One bad year in which we had a ###### backup was all it took for everyone to say, "yeah Jordy doesn't have it anymore?" Seriously?
It was obvious to anyone that was looking critically.. that even in the year prior... the year after his ACL injury, that he was slower. Yes he had a good year statistically, but that was due more to his intelligence and experience than it was athletic talent at that point. All great players decline with age even Jordy. Do I think he would have been able to play another year with Rodgers? Probably... but his salary was just too high and frankly.. I’m glad the rookies got those snaps.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw Jordy drop catchable balls. It wasn't just Hundley. and James Jones had better stats with a rookie car than Jordy did with a seasoned one and a field stretching TE. He wasn't worth 10 million dollars at that point.

I've played tippy cup with Jordy's dad, it's not like he wasn't one of my favorite players to ever wear a Packer uniform. But I have zero issue with them moving on when they did.
Even if he dropped a few passes, let's not act like he was the only one. So again one freaking bad year was all it took, when again the dude has been a model of consistency, and for some reason he didn't deserve any benefit of the doubt? I can't understand why you guys are holding this against Jordy when just about everyone played poorly. On top of that Carr is hands down better than Brett Hundley. So comparing the two of them is like apples to oranges. At least Carr can throw accurate passes, and the talent was there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if he dropped a few passes, let's not act like he was the only one. So again one freaking bad year was all it took, when again the dude has been a model of consistency, and for some reason he didn't deserve any benefit of the doubt? I can't understand why you guys are holding this against Jordy when just about everyone played poorly. On top of that Carr is hands down better than Brett Hundley. So comparing the two of them is like apples to oranges. At least Carr can throw accurate passes, and the talent was there.
Carr is far and away better, and still Jordy didn't produce 10 million dollar a year at WR. that was my point. A guy who needs Rodgers to look decent isn't worth 10million bucks. and a guy that is, still catches 60 balls for a back up will catch 2,3 TD's and won't go 9 games with zero.

Was James jones worth 10 million? he put up better numbers with a Rookie Carr than Jordy did with a seasoned one. YOu seem to get my point, but you don't think it matters?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was obvious to anyone that was looking critically.. that even in the year prior... the year after his ACL injury, that he was slower. Yes he had a good year statistically, but that was due more to his intelligence and experience than it was athletic talent at that point. All great players decline with age even Jordy. Do I think he would have been able to play another year with Rodgers? Probably... but his salary was just too high and frankly.. I’m glad the rookies got those snaps.
I know the injury took a step off him, but the dude could still ball. Like you said his intelligence and experience showed just how good he was. Plus he was a good presence in the locker room and a good leader, mentoring the young receivers. It's like people forget those factors when it comes to receivers which is ironic as I played devil's advocate for AB, and I argued that his play on the field was worth the risk, but you guys were saying how much of a cancer he was in the locker room. Now it's a total flip regarding Jordy.

If Rodgers hadn't went down and Jordy averaged typically 1300-1400 yards+, would you guys have been feeling differently? Or would you all still have prefered to let him go? I feel like everyone is being unfair to the guy in that regard to just one bad season when he's been a model of consistency. And that was just an excuse just to get rid of him b/c we want to be cheap.

I loved me some Jordy, as you can see. He was my player on the team.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is a business.. Jordy was scheduled to make too much money compared to his projected value plain and simple. It doesn’t matter how much you or I like him. It was reported that the Packers did offer him a very low salary to return, and he chose to move on and make more money from the Raiders. That is fine.. I woud have taken the money too, but I think it’s instructive that it is now being reported that the Raiders are likely going to release him a year later as well.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems pretty clear to me that with bringing in AB and Tyrell Williams that the Raiders don't have high hopes from Jordy either after last season.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems pretty clear to me that with bringing in AB and Tyrell Williams that the Raiders don't have high hopes from Jordy either after last season.

which is crazy because the last 5 weeks of the season, he actually had some production once they started to throw to him. More than 50% of his targets and receptions came in the last 5 weeks. Now, I don't know how much 'garbage time' there was to attribute to those numbers.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Jordy go was not a mistake.

Bringing Jordy back would be a mistake.

Bringing Cobb back would be a mistake.

It's time to move on.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is a business.. Jordy was scheduled to make too much money compared to his projected value plain and simple. It doesn’t matter how much you or I like him. It was reported that the Packers did offer him a very low salary to return, and he chose to move on and make more money from the Raiders. That is fine.. I woud have taken the money too, but I think it’s instructive that it is now being reported that the Raiders are likely going to release him a year later as well.
I suppose, but again what I don't understand is when I was playing devil's advocate and arguing why we should sign AB, one of the reasons why people were against it was b/c he was a locker room issue, despite his play on the field and yet with Jordy he had one bad season in which his performance dipped, but his overall presence as a locker room guy and a leader were also qualities that made him so stellar. See where I'm going with this? His value was worth so much more.

I digress, I still think letting him go was a mistake. I simply hope the Raiders cut him and we sign him.

Carr is far and away better, and still Jordy didn't produce 10 million dollar a year at WR. that was my point. A guy who needs Rodgers to look decent isn't worth 10million bucks. and a guy that is, still catches 60 balls for a back up will catch 2,3 TD's and won't go 9 games with zero.

Was James jones worth 10 million? he put up better numbers with a Rookie Carr than Jordy did with a seasoned one. YOu seem to get my point, but you don't think it matters?
Again I'm not refuting what you're saying, but simply I'm giving an individual the benefit of the doubt as it wasn't just him that dropped, everyone did. Devante was the one exception, and that's typically because he was targeted more in comparison to the others. He was Hundley's security blanket. Unlike how someone like Rodgers spreads the ball around.

It's easy to get all those yards and stats and whatnot when you're being targeted more. He was on his way to earning that contract prior to Rodgers going down. We've seen this before in the past when Rodgers went down and we've seen a drop in production by the receivers. That's all I'm saying. The receiver is reliant on the QB to throw the ball to them. You can't catch the ball if you aren't being targeted as much. And also if I recall we did a lot of run plays. That is why I'm willing to give Jordy the benefit of the doubt. B/c he's been a model of consistency, and due to the circumstances it's understandable, as he was on his way to having a great season, but our QB went down. A dip in production was going to happen. And as I've mentioned before Carr was A. A better QB. and there system wasn't as reliant on him as ours is with Rodgers. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which is crazy because the last 5 weeks of the season, he actually had some production once they started to throw to him. More than 50% of his targets and receptions came in the last 5 weeks. Now, I don't know how much 'garbage time' there was to attribute to those numbers.

I feel this same thing can be applied to the year Hundley was under center as I believe Devante had more targets than Jordy did if I wasn't mistaken.

Letting Jordy go was not a mistake.

Bringing Jordy back would be a mistake.

Bringing Cobb back would be a mistake.

It's time to move on.
So are you insinuating he couldn't have helped us last year, as well as help the new receivers?

Matter of fact, speaking of James Jones. As I recall when we first let him go in Green Bay I'm sure everyone was of the mind set that it was time and whatnot as his production dropped, but when he returned he arguably had his career best, and should've been a pro bowler. I feel this could end up being the same thing in regards to Jordy.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So are you insinuating he couldn't have helped us last year, as well as help the new receivers?

Maybe he could have, but not enough to make us a winning team. He simply does not move the needle enough anymore.

All he would be doing is taking reps and targets away from young WR's that need them, and we will need those players now and in the future if we want to win. The same cannot be said for Jordy anymore. One of my favorite players, but he's done here. Time to move on.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jordy doesn't need to come back except to retire as a Packer. for one thing he's not close to what he used to be, but most of all his presence would disrupt rodgers' transition to this new offense and mindset. rodgers would be too tempted to go off-script in the huddle. same applies to cobb but to a lessor degree.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jordy doesn't need to come back except to retire as a Packer. for one thing he's not close to what he used to be, but most of all his presence would disrupt rodgers' transition to this new offense and mindset. rodgers would be too tempted to go off-script in the huddle. same applies to cobb but to a lessor degree.

I know these threads are two people trying to make their points until someone stops and the same people who originally disagree, still disagree. But for the sake of playing devils advocate here and I agree, I hope Jordy comes back to at least retire.

Rodgers has seemingly always went off-script and as Greg Cosell says he is more of a jazz beat player instead of a rhythm guy. Which has its ups and downs as we have seen over the years. But can't you say that not having his one piece to rely on, Jordy, could have disrupted his mindset all last year?

There were injuries last year and a lot more issues than Jordy preventing this team from winning. But I'd like to imagine that having a guy you know you can depend on running a 7yd slant up the middle to move the chains to keep drives together and the momentum going has to help. And NOT having that guy, would equally disrupt any offense.

Now if we want to throw that back on the coaches and Rodgers for not having guys ready to step up in those big moments, that's a different story. I think the coaches and Rodgers both thought he would elevate C talent players into A level.

D

Deleted member 6794

I suppose, but again what I don't understand is when I was playing devil's advocate and arguing why we should sign AB, one of the reasons why people were against it was b/c he was a locker room issue, despite his play on the field and yet with Jordy he had one bad season in which his performance dipped, but his overall presence as a locker room guy and a leader were also qualities that made him so stellar. See where I'm going with this? His value was worth so much more.

I digress, I still think letting him go was a mistake. I simply hope the Raiders cut him and we sign him.

There's absolutely no doubt Nelson would be a great addition to the locker room but unfortunately he doesn't produce enough on the field anymore to justify bringing him back. It would be a different story if he had one bad season while being younger but with him getting up there in age there's no reason to believe he will put up elite numbers again.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im all for with Jordy joining at vet minimum to let him retire a Packer, but it definitely is time to move on. Same goes for Cobb. Don't give me that "Aaron needs chemistry and someone he can trust", he has Adams and Gmo for that. Both have plenty of experience with him. If Aaron can only produce with either Jordy or Cobb on the field, he wasn't that elite of a QB to begin with.

Jordy and Cobb, as much as it pains me to say so, are done. Aaron on the other hand will play for some more years. In order for him to remain effective he will have to develop chemistry with new receivers, one way or another. Can't start early enough with that.

With the #44 pick in the NFL draft the Green Bay Packers select (Samuel/Brown/Campbell).

D

Deleted member 6794

Im all for with Jordy joining at vet minimum to let him retire a Packer, but it definitely is time to move on.

The Packers don't have to sign Nelson to a veteran minimum deal for him to retire as a Packer. A one-day deal works for that.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have more quality WRs than we can keep right now. Cobb should not be retained, and we certainly should not pick up another free agent.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt Nelson would be a great addition to the locker room but unfortunately he doesn't produce enough on the field anymore to justify bringing him back. It would be a different story if he had one bad season while being younger but with him getting up there in age there's no reason to believe he will put up elite numbers again.
I just told you that he averaged more yards than anyone on the team last year outside of Devante, this is while being the 3rd/4th option on a team with a sorry offense. How does he not produce enough? Jordy was a consistent 1000+ yard receiver with the exception of ONE count it ONE bad year when we had Hundley behind center and prior to Rodgers going down he lead the league in TDs.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the idea is draft an early WR and boost the WR core than Jordy isn't an ideal move at a low price. If the idea is that the FO thinks the WR core is good where it is than bringing Jordy back at a discount seems pretty reasonable. Jordy isn't the guy he once was, but he also I believe proved last season he isn't completely done. Not sure why we would be incredibly against Jordy (again, this isn't Jordy for 10M) unless the alternative was a DK Metcalf some other top end WR in the draft. You guys can't feel that incredible about ESB and MVS.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the idea is draft an early WR and boost the WR core than Jordy isn't an ideal move at a low price. If the idea is that the FO thinks the WR core is good where it is than bringing Jordy back at a discount seems pretty reasonable. Jordy isn't the guy he once was, but he also I believe proved last season he isn't completely done. Not sure why we would be incredibly against Jordy (again, this isn't Jordy for 10M) unless the alternative was a DK Metcalf some other top end WR in the draft. You guys can't feel that incredible about ESB and MVS.

I sincerely hope the FO does not thing the WR group is good where it is with or without Jordy. At the very least we need a reliable replacement for Cobb.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out of all our current receivers we have right now, the one I'm hoping takes the next step is MVS.

Reaction score
I’m confident at least 1 between MVS, Moore, EQ and Kumerow take a leap this year. I still think going after a high end slot guy should be high on our “ideal” list.

I think we should strongly consider Cobb’s successor between selection #30 and the #75 area.
I’d be elated to get 2 of these 4.. Hock, Fant, Campbell, Samuel by #44.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

We have more quality WRs than we can keep right now. Cobb should not be retained, and we certainly should not pick up another free agent.

The Packers need to add a slot receiver capable of replacing Cobb. While the team has some promising youngsters I don't agree they have more quality than they can keep by any means.

I just told you that he averaged more yards than anyone on the team last year outside of Devante, this is while being the 3rd/4th option on a team with a sorry offense. How does he not produce enough? Jordy was a consistent 1000+ yard receiver with the exception of ONE count it ONE bad year when we had Hundley behind center and prior to Rodgers going down he lead the league in TDs.

Just because you tell me something doesn't mean I feel obligated to agree with you. Allison averaged more receptions and yards per game than Nelson in 2018. BTW who were the three options ahead of him on the Raiders last season???

Once again, currently Nelson is probably a better wide receiver than any of the young ones currently on the roster but there's hope that at least one of them develops enough to surpass a regressing Jordy by the end of this season.

Latest posts