Clay Matthews back in Green & Gold ?

Would you like to see Clay Matthews back in GB?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as Rodgers was getting back in everyone's good graces, he goes and works this up. He really is turning into a princess. When I first read about this I thought that it was a joke, which would be a sick and twisted joke but on par for Aaron. When I saw that it was real, it really burned me (again). I think that everyone's voices should be heard and that good input should be utilized by management in any job or situation. However, I'm really at the point of saying that Rodgers needs to shut his yap and just be a QB. His antics are getting to the level (from my perspective) of a player with off-field problems that are a distraction to the team. Johnny Jolly at least got some sympathy from all us. I feel even less for Rodgers now.

...and to be clear, bring back Clay Matthews is a historically terrible idea. If we really need help, the smarter move would be to pick up a player after final roster cutdowns or engineer a trade with a team that needs WR or OL depth.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers is now asking the FO to resign Greg Jennings. I guess A-Rod wants to prove that he had no hard feelings toward Greg and it was the FO who didn't like him. :coffee:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews was an average inside linebacker at best to begin with seven years ago. He wouldn't present an upgrade over anyone currently on the roster at the position.
You're assuming that average wouldn't be an upgrade on who we have. Aside from Campbell, we are full of unknowns at the position (ILB). One average starter, with no significant veteran depth at the position. Matthews played in Barry's system, so can probably jump in without much hassle and play both ILB and OLB and likely come cheap. I don't think it would be a dumb move, as long as everyone knows the expectation is that he's there to bolster positions and provide veteran leadership and fire up the defense. We have no rah-rah sideline guys. Barry will hopefully change that culture and Clay could help.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're assuming that average wouldn't be an upgrade on who we have. Aside from Campbell, we are full of unknowns at the position (ILB). One average starter, with no significant veteran depth at the position. Matthews played in Barry's system, so can probably jump in without much hassle and play both ILB and OLB and likely come cheap. I don't think it would be a dumb move, as long as everyone knows the expectation is that he's there to bolster positions and provide veteran leadership and fire up the defense. We have no rah-rah sideline guys. Barry will hopefully change that culture and Clay could help.

I highly doubt Matthews would even be an average inside linebacker at this stage of his career.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think the Cobb story was all that real when first dropped, nailed that one LOL

I find this one to be more far fetched, so I guess I"ll just sit back and wait for the announcement he's a Packer again.

Reaction score
However, I'm really at the point of saying that Rodgers needs to shut his yap and just be a QB.
I thought that before they got cobb back in town.
I think Rodgers has got Gute by the balls and wouldn't let go until he's fired.

When is Rodgers going to learn, one player, one QB, one California princess can't control our The Green Bay Packers with all the history it holds.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt that way back then as well. Now hearing Rodgers try to walk it back:

I couldn't care if it was a joke. There is no disputing that Rodgers is extremely intelligent, saavy, and manipulative. He knows that right after all of the crap he pulled to get Cobb back, that even a joke will get undo attention from the fans and media. He's doing this just for the fun of it, like a kid playing divorced parents off one another to see how far they can get.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every morning I get on my computer and open the home page. Without fail, there is at least one stupid article about #12. Why? I am so sick of his face and his terrible sense of humor. He is probably thinking of going on tour as a comedian. Keep your mouth shut and keep your mind on the prize. Nobody cares what you have to say about anything. It's all lies anyway. So transparent, so fake. It's embarrassing.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Every morning I get on my computer and open the home page. Without fail, there is at least one stupid article about #12. Why? I am so sick of his face and his terrible sense of humor. He is probably thinking of going on tour as a comedian. Keep your mouth shut and keep your mind on the prize. Nobody cares what you have to say about anything. It's all lies anyway. So transparent, so fake. It's embarrassing.
Maybe change your home page? I use a search engine. In the past I used a bookmark file so all my bookmarks were right there to use. At the time on dial up, it loaded faster also.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt that way back then as well. Now hearing Rodgers try to walk it back:

I couldn't care if it was a joke. There is no disputing that Rodgers is extremely intelligent, saavy, and manipulative. He knows that right after all of the crap he pulled to get Cobb back, that even a joke will get undo attention from the fans and media. He's doing this just for the fun of it, like a kid playing divorced parents off one another to see how far they can get.
He probably was serious about bringing back Clay and didn't realize how dumb an idea it was, now he's claiming it was just a joke.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he was any more serious about Clay than I think Adams was serious about Jordy. I joke about getting our band back together all the time realizing that none of us want to do what we did again at this point in our lives.

Reaction score
and to be clear, bring back Clay Matthews is a historically terrible idea. If we really need help, the smarter move would be to pick up a player after final roster cutdowns or engineer a trade with a team that needs WR or OL depth.
I have no idea what shape Clay is in. But if we was serious? I’m pretty sure he could come back and do just fine.

That being said, you got an aging, likely out of football shape LB that isn’t in any measure a future answer to this teams’ plans. IMO His offset would only come if we were decimated at the position and he took a team friendly 1 year deal to play a partial year. I don’t think he would do that on his end even IF we wanted him.

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree....he got his start here and if called upon would sign. He is pretty beat up these days. If there was a need due to injury signing him makes sense - inside. Outside? Hard pass.

D

Deleted member 6794

It might be a good idea for a lot of you to focus on what players do on the field and stop caring about what they do off it.

There's no doubt Rodgers gives this team the best chance of winning a Super Bowl and that's the only thing I care about.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews was an average inside linebacker at best to begin with seven years ago. He wouldn't present an upgrade over anyone currently on the roster at the position.
Lol at your first sentence. First your Crosby cold takes now this? Clay was really good in 2015. Much better at ILB than OLB from 2013 on.

Reaction score
It might be a good idea for a lot of you to focus on what players do on the field and stop caring about what they do off it.
Interesting. I’m all about the character of a person and in my opinion? So are the Green Bay Packers and to a large degree I believe our staff would disagree with you. They routinely go after high character guys.
Interesting timing. I watched a recent interview with Aaron Rodgers in where he talked about how as players personal lives improved, he was noticing how they meshed with their professional side (positively improving).

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol at your first sentence. First your Crosby cold takes now this? Clay was really good in 2015. Much better at ILB than OLB from 2013 on.
Naw, I gotta back Cap 100% on this. Clay was honestly terrible as an ILB.
He went two games without a tackle.

In a scheme designed to funnel tackles to the ILBs. That should be impossible.

Yes, he did better than an aging AJ Hawk and (iirc) Brad Jones (?) but it was more on athletic ability and guts. It’s been years. I can’t see how he got better.

Reaction score
Naw, I gotta back Cap 100% on this. Clay was honestly terrible as an ILB.
2014 he switched to ILB
AFTER the bye. In 50% of the season @ ILB CM3 recorded:
42 Tackles (pacing 84)
11TFL; (pacing 22)
8.5 Sacks (pacing 17)
13 QB hits; (pacing 26)
5 PD; (pacing 10)
IN 1/2 season??
+led the Packers in 2014 with 11 sacks total with 8.5 as ILB.
-Led the Packers in best single game sack performance (2.5 sacks) Tampa as ILB on 12-21-2014.

Clay at LB was instrumental in that D shutting down what was a terrible Run D to that juncture and holding opponents to 19.75 pts/gm the last half season
Opponents rushed for 86.3/gm with CM3 @ILB

-CM3 was a Defensive team Captain that aided a 12-4 finish and NFC appearance.

-CM3 was a PROBOWL LB

At ILB recorded in 2 playoff games (while sitting out much of 4th Qtr at Seattle)
10 Tackles
1 Sack
1 TFL
2 QB hits

PS, that 2 game stretch in 2015 Captain eluded to? We Won both contests by a margin of 58-27. Our Defense held those 2 opponents to an average of 13.5pts game. Derrick Carr was running for his life!

Now I’ve got to ask you seriously Mradke66, Does that sound like an ILB that is terrible?

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably was serious about bringing back Clay and didn't realize how dumb an idea it was, now he's claiming it was just a joke.
Why? Guess you never heard him crack any jokes--which he does frequently--or say lighthearted stuff--which he also does.

I think people just ridiculously lost their minds when he wanted Cobb back because they thought it just suddenly meant the beginning of the end of our front office. Truth is Rodgers made a genius call with that as Funchess is on the IR now. Plus, while I hope Amari Rodgers gets enough work, I think it'll benefit him to ride in the backseat for a bit and let the vets show him how it's done.

Anyway, while I always loved Rodgers and Clay appearing together on those funny State Farm commercials, I don't miss CM3 on the field, or at least not the post 2012 guy. The Smiths and Gary have just really taken their game to a whole new level that you just can't even conceive the notion of turning back the clock to Clay's days.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2014 he switched to ILB
AFTER the bye. In 50% of the season @ ILB CM3 recorded:
42 Tackles (pacing 84)
11TFL; (pacing 22)
8.5 Sacks (pacing 17)
13 QB hits; (pacing 26)
5 PD; (pacing 10)
IN 1/2 season??
+led the Packers in 2014 with 11 sacks total with 8.5 as ILB.
-Led the Packers in best single game sack performance (2.5 sacks) Tampa as ILB on 12-21-2014.

Clay at LB was instrumental in that D shutting down what was a terrible Run D to that juncture and holding opponents to 19.75 pts/gm the last half season
Opponents rushed for 86.3/gm with CM3 @ILB

-CM3 was a Defensive team Captain that aided a 12-4 finish and NFC appearance.

-CM3 was a PROBOWL LB

At ILB recorded in 2 playoff games (while sitting out much of 4th Qtr at Seattle)
10 Tackles
1 Sack
1 TFL
2 QB hits

PS, that 2 game stretch in 2015 Captain eluded to? We Won both contests by a margin of 58-27. Our Defense held those 2 opponents to an average of 13.5pts game. Derrick Carr was running for his life!

Now I’ve got to ask you seriously Mradke66, Does that sound like an ILB that is terrible?

The problem here is those sacks aren’t really indicative of what an ILB does.

In the run game, he needs to plug holes. In the passing game, he needs to cover well and very occasionally blitz.

Did the defense play better with him at ILB? Yes. But I think that has more to do with getting 3 of our best players on the field at the same time (Peppers, Perry, Matthews) and taking one of our trash ILBs of the field.

I say he’s a bad ILB because of his film. Though I did more watching live than film study…he took too many false steps. He had bad angles. His drops weren’t right. He was able to overcome those issues because he’s just a solid football player and he was honestly pretty fast and generally athletically impressive.

And Capers had to scheme around him. There were a lot of 5 man pressures dialed up for Clay to blitz since he’s not as good at normal/typical ILB things.

It’s been 7 years since 2014. I can’t see him gotten faster or more athletic in those years. I suspect his flaws would stand out like a sore thumb these days.

Reaction score
It’s been 7 years since 2014. I can’t see him gotten faster or more athletic in those years. I suspect his flaws would stand out like a sore thumb these days.
I’d agree with you. That said this isn’t an argument I was making. I was making an argument that “he couldn’t play ILB” (summarizing). That’s just not true and he’s got the accolades to back it. Somehow society (in general) these days values opinion more than factual information (truth) No way does any player get a Probowl nod at a position unless he performs at a high level compared to his peers. Was he used in hybrid fashion? Yes snd it worked by dropping the Defensive scoring ranking like 10 spots in 8 games. He didn’t make the team worse as several in here are suggesting by cherry picking his 2 worst performances in 20 games etc..(games we won btw and easily beat up on our opponent) His Run D gave up just 86 yards per while he manned the middle and that’s is a huge responsibility of the MLB role.

Was CM3 the best at the position? Likely not. Was he was talented and humbled himself enough to make a change that bettered the team? Absolutely and so much so that it was likely one of the best moves by a DC that season.

You are right though, imo I wouldn’t want him today he’s too far removed. 2014 Clay another story.

More importantly ? Enjoy the game!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts