Clay Matthews back in Green & Gold ?

Would you like to see Clay Matthews back in GB?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Bill Curry might come out of retirement if we ask him nicely, or Maybe Woodson might give it another shot ? or A J Hawk ?. C`mon guys, let get realistic for pity sake !

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Curry might come out of retirement if we ask him nicely, or Maybe Woodson might give it another shot ? or A J Hawk ?. C`mon guys, let get realistic for pity sake !
I have wanted an opportunity to say that one of the Packer films about the 60's has Bill Curry talking about Willie Davis. The guy is unbelievably articulate.

I

I have wanted an opportunity to say that one of the Packer films about the 60's has Bill Curry talking about Willie Davis. The guy is unbelievably articulate.

I`d recommend his autobiography (Sadly I can`t remember the title exactly), he discussed his time at Green Bay and his relationship with Vince, and his Christian beliefs. Great read, and he became a firm favorite of mine.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I`d recommend his autobiography (Sadly I can`t remember the title exactly), he discussed his time at Green Bay and his relationship with Vince, and his Christian beliefs. Great read, and he became a firm favorite of mine.

Attachments

• 514jBQPVkWL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    514jBQPVkWL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 109
I

Thanks Mate ;). I remember buying it at Milwaukee airport years ago.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd have to come cheap, I'd wonder if he's in game shape or not. I think now is the time to kick tires on another body with Z out.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible Matthews could become a cap casualty. If that happens I'd like to see the Packers sign him, relatively cheaply, to replace Fackrell in the olb room.

I think the Smith's, Gary, and Matthews is a championship group. Fackrell wasn't bad in the backup role in 2019. But Matthews is clearly much better suited for the situational pass rusher role. A role he contributed 8 sacks in during the 2019 season. And while Fackrell excelled in coverage Matthews isn't bad in that facet either.
I would normally say Matthews Packer days ended several years ago. But in the light of signing Cobb which I thought was even more unlikely I would expect anything. Now if Thompson was around neither Cobb or Matthews would ever return to GB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cobb could have found his way back. Matthews is done though. His game had a lot of help and it took a toll on his body. I wouldn’t bring him back at any price today.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cobb could have found his way back. Matthews is done though. His game had a lot of help and it took a toll on his body. I wouldn’t bring him back at any price today.

A lot of help? Roids?

Reaction score
I’d rather give it a go for a few more weeks looking internally for an answer.

If we still don’t get results, then I’d be looking at teams that are statistically out of playoff contention for help before trade deadline.

D

Deleted member 6794

He'd have to come cheap, I'd wonder if he's in game shape or not. I think now is the time to kick tires on another body with Z out.

It might be smart to look around the league to add another edge rusher but Matthews definitely shouldn't be the one.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be smart to look around the league to add another edge rusher but Matthews definitely shouldn't be the one.

Honestly even I, who like you desperately would prefer someone better…for a minimum type deal I’d kick the Clay tires possibly with now Preston getting banged up (but back in of course)

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, it could be Clay. He did well in LA. As a spot starter/backup on a near vet min contract you could do worse assuming he's in shape/motivated.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly even I, who like you desperately would prefer someone better…for a minimum type deal I’d kick the Clay tires possibly with now Preston getting banged up (but back in of course)

Nah, it could be Clay. He did well in LA. As a spot starter/backup on a near vet min contract you could do worse assuming he's in shape/motivated.

Matthews is 35 years old and hasn't played a snap since the 2019 season. I honestly doubt he's in shape to help the Packers defense at this point in his career.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Z on IR and Preston also hurt, why not bring in a veteren even if it isn't CM3. The backups are journeyman type of players so bringing in a veteren isn't hampering the development of a high draft pick. At this point, with injury situation getting worse by the week, some body will be picked off a practice squad or an old vet will be signed just to fill a uniform.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is 35 years old and hasn't played a snap since the 2019 season. I honestly doubt he's in shape to help the Packers defense at this point in his career.

Don't get me wrong Jamie Collins or similar is a better play of the players presently not on a roster.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eh he'd still be playing if he accepted his current market value, I get the sense that he still thinks hes an All- Pro.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Cobb could have found his way back.
Personally, I think the apparent demise of Randall Cobb was false propaganda spewed by some Packer fans that were angry at Rodgers and/or Gute. Is he the same Randall Cobb that we saw in 2014? No, but in 4 games he has proved why he was a good player for the Packers to trade a 6th round pick for.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason he was gone in the first place was health didn't match the money. When he was healthy he was worth it. Having a player of his quality for the price we have him now as someone we don't build the offense around? It's a damn good deal and i'm glad he's back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only reason he was gone in the first place was health didn't match the money. When he was healthy he was worth it.
While Randall definitely has had some injuries, I think we can say the same about Davante and other players at times, kind of the nature of Football. Davante hasn't played a full season since 2016. That and just the price tag, makes me wonder if resigning him will end up being smart or a regrettable move.

So far, Cobb has been a quality depth signing and while I don't expect him to be injury free, I worry less about the passing game when he is playing.

Members online

Latest posts