Clay Matthews back in Green & Gold ?

Would you like to see Clay Matthews back in GB?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course, being hurt helps nobody. My point being Randall still had game, still had an offering, probably still has a season or 2 or 3 left in a support role. maybe more with a little luck.

Matthews was as good as he was, IMO because he had help. His body is shot now because of it and I don't think he'd offer this, or any other team anything at this point.

Reaction score
Personally, I think the apparent demise of Randall Cobb was false propaganda spewed by some Packer fans that either were angry at Rodgers and/or Gute. Is he the same Randall Cobb that we saw in 2014? No, but in 4 games he has proved why he was a good player for the Packers to trade a 6th round pick for.
I know for myself anyway, I've been defending him partly because veterans generally don't fall off a cliff. With many of them, it takes a few years of declining play before they are talent exhausted. Looking across the last few seasons, Cobb really hasn't shown significant decline. Maybe he's not a 1000+ guy that you rely on to carry a team, but he can absolutely be a 750+ WR, which is still pretty darn good. His veteran leadership and positive locker room personality are a + also. As far as Clay? I highly doubt he's a significant upgrade at this point (If he's even in football shape) and I'd rather get a younger player involved that is still rising vs. an overaged veteran who hasn't played in 2 seasons and was on the decline.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know for myself anyway, I've been defending him partly because veterans generally don't fall off a cliff. With many of them, it takes a few years of declining play before they are talent exhausted. Looking across the last few seasons, Cobb really hasn't shown significant decline. Maybe he's not a 1000+ guy that you rely on to carry a team, but he can absolutely be a 750+ WR, which is still pretty darn good. His veteran leadership and positive locker room personality are a + also. As far as Clay? I highly doubt he's a significant upgrade at this point (If he's even in football shape) and I'd rather get a younger player involved that is still rising vs. an overaged veteran who hasn't played in 2 seasons and was on the decline.

And, in addition to being cheaper, a young player may be able to give you something on special teams. Obviously, we wouldn't expect that from Clay.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Z on IR and Preston also hurt, why not bring in a veteren even if it isn't CM3. The backups are journeyman type of players so bringing in a veteren isn't hampering the development of a high draft pick. At this point, with injury situation getting worse by the week, some body will be picked off a practice squad or an old vet will be signed just to fill a uniform.

I'm in favor of the Packers signing a veteran if Z is done for the season but it should be somebody else than Clay.

The only reason he was gone in the first place was health didn't match the money. When he was healthy he was worth it. Having a player of his quality for the price we have him now as someone we don't build the offense around? It's a damn good deal and i'm glad he's back.

Cobb is still a decent receiver but his price tag might end up being hefty for his production.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in favor of the Packers signing a veteran if Z is done for the season but it should be somebody else than Clay.

Cobb is still a decent receiver but his price tag might end up being hefty for his production.

Yeah Cobb isn't worth his tag next year. Now if we commit to Rodgers than I think Cobb's deal is redon and he and Rodgers both see their careers end here.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Cobb isn't worth his tag next year. Now if we commit to Rodgers than I think Cobb's deal is redon and he and Rodgers both see their careers end here.
I'm still leaning towards the likelihood of this being Rodgers last year here. I've thought all along that Z. Smith would be gone after either this year or next year. Amos as well. Seeing that we didn't draft an edge last year, it's possible that Preston Smith will be here next year. I see a strong possibility that Adams will price himself out of Green Bay and I think chances are slim that he re-signs with us if Rodgers has been moved. A lot of decisions to be made in the next off season for sure.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still leaning towards the likelihood of this being Rodgers last year here. I've thought all along that Z. Smith would be gone after either this year or next year. Amos as well. Seeing that we didn't draft an edge last year, it's possible that Preston Smith will be here next year. I see a strong possibility that Adams will price himself out of Green Bay and I think chances are slim that he re-signs with us if Rodgers has been moved. A lot of decisions to be made in the next off season for sure.

I'm not saying I believe Rodgers will be back, I'm just saying the only reason to work on a deal with Cobb to stay (his deal as is just is asinine next year) is if Rodgers is still here.

Z has said he wants to play in GB till retirement. Before his injury I kinda thought outside chance he restructures for long term to stay, but this injury just muddles any logical thought on his future and could even be the end of his playing career.

Preston is having his best season IMO this year since coming - THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO BRING UP SACKS ALONE TO ARGUE THIS ARE IGNORANT. Preston and Campbell are two guys that are playing into at least a hope we keep them around somehow for another year or two.

Push me to predict a few items I'll say Z is released (chance no interest elsewhere he comes back cheap to see if back is healthy), Preston works on a three to four year deal that is team digestible over the next two, Cobb and Rodgers and Adams all find themselves elsewhere in 2022 - and we see Crosby retire...Lowry gets cut or restructured....Turner same as Lowry....Amos deal is restructured/extension to keep him here through 2024 but option out is decent after 2023.

Rough tracking math wise of cuts/releases:

Z released saves us $15,750,000
Cobb released saves us $6,858,000
Trade of Rodgers saves us roughly $15M (I think Denver and we get maybe either Jones or Agim, Drew Lock, and perhaps even a young guy like Baron Browning or KJ Hamler plus a pick or two)
After these moves we are no longer in the negative, BUT that leaves only like $11M and only 37 players (IF three come back in Rodgers trade) or 34 if none.

Restructure or Extensions:

Lowry - IF he stays he must take pay cut or get his contract reworked/team style extension - he cannot cost this team the 7.9M in 2022. Releasing saves us about $4M so his restructure in order to stay must save us minimum say $3M or same as releasing. Either way Lowry saves us around $4M - restructure makes most sense seeing as how we pushed voided money on him out through 2025, so actually extending him a year or two with a decent deal both ways actually saves money and we at least have a roster spot we are paying for present.

Adrian Amos - His pay JUMPS from 5.9M this year to $11.9M next. This cannot happen and this is the year GB needs to decide is Amos here past his thirties and extend him with a 3/4 year deal or do we watch him walk. Cut would save $7.9M. I personally prefer an extension...issue is Amos still has one more cash in contract left in his career I think...do we want to be that and risk the post-30 decline sometimes seen in DBs? Safeties I think are safer bet, and I like him I prefer a solid 3 year contract with an okay option out after two or a 4 year with option after 3. Either way I think in 2022 the team tries to save via Amos a few million most likely.

Jaire Alexander - His cost explodes up to $13.3M - WORTH every dime, but we are talking about a team with cap issues and a lot of players to sign/resign to get our roster spots filled. I say massive contract extension, where in 2022 of course the hit is less, maybe $10M or so, just a little gained but even if nothing is gained, locking this man up arguable is more important than Davante - knowing full well Aaron isn't going to be here long most likely.

Aaron Jones - Some speculate he goes, others stays...his $9M cost is high, but depending on other roster moves and if Love is 2022 QB- having the two headed backfield of Jones and Dillon will be important for Love to work towards success. Rushing attack is pivotal when a young QB is at the helm.

Billy Turner - Arguably the only big question along the OL to possibly save anything. He like Lowry saw us extend voided money into 2023 and 2024. He is going to be 31 next season, perhaps work on activating those two years voided to actual, but making it essentially a two year deal through 2023 and obvious cut/release timing after. Could save $2M-$4M depending on structure and Billy still walk away after 2023 with more guaranteed and savings for the team.

Kenny Clark - could be a candidate to push into some voided years, to keep or sign some FAs. His cap hits balloon in 2022 through 2024 to over $20M a season.

Preston Smith - Ideal extension candidate in my mind now that Z is hurt. He is thriving in the Barry system and simply being a beast. We cannot let his $10M cost jump happen and should work on a 2/3 or 3/4 year type deal IMO. Saving us upwards of $4M-$8M in 2022 most likely.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Trade of Rodgers saves us roughly $15M (I think Denver and we get maybe either Jones or Agim, Drew Lock, and perhaps even a young guy like Baron Browning or KJ Hamler plus a pick or two).
I think a lot of what you said makes sense. I think that the Steelers are interested in Rodgers and Rodgers is interested in them. Why not Rodgers for Watt. Not sure of the salary cap implications of such a deal. I'd even go straight up for that deal. Obviously, I would like some picks to go along with it, but Watt is a game wrecker.

As far as Matthews goes, everyone knows he has lost a step and hasn't played this year at all. I know he is a workout warrior though and I have little doubt he is in at least good enough shape to be a substitutional player. I would be cool with seeing him back for the remainder of the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of what you said makes sense. I think that the Steelers are interested in Rodgers and Rodgers is interested in them. Why not Rodgers for Watt. Not sure of the salary cap implications of such a deal. I'd even go straight up for that deal. Obviously, I would like some picks to go along with it, but Watt is a game wrecker.

I'm not doing the straight trade for Watt personally if I'm wanting to surround our roster and build. Nor do I think Watt would be a name Pittsburgh is willing to allow on the trade table.

Pittsburgh does make a lot of sense depending on what Gute and company wants in return. Like Denver, they can offer an experienced average backup in Mason Rudolph, skill positions with young talent at WR to maybe include one (Claypool/Johnson) or perhaps Gentry/Freirmuth (TE) and some young front trench defense guys to maybe consider in Wormley/Loudermilk/Tuitt....of course all depends on if Gute leans to draft desires or players in a trade.

Krabs

Reaction score
I'm not doing the straight trade for Watt personally if I'm wanting to surround our roster and build. Nor do I think Watt would be a name Pittsburgh is willing to allow on the trade table.

Pittsburgh does make a lot of sense depending on what Gute and company wants in return. Like Denver, they can offer an experienced average backup in Mason Rudolph, skill positions with young talent at WR to maybe include one (Claypool/Johnson) or perhaps Gentry/Freirmuth (TE) and some young front trench defense guys to maybe consider in Wormley/Loudermilk/Tuitt....of course all depends on if Gute leans to draft desires or players in a trade.
Just seemed a love affair between Rodgers and Tomlin. They will need a QB next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought we were paying like 2-3 million bucks? I don’t think that’s much for a guy with his experience who can obviously still play.

I don't think Cobb was back for a long term. He's going to be cut again at the end of the year or brought back under different terms. This year, he's not expensive for the experience and ability he brings, doubly so if he stays healthy.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Krabs,
Matthews a substantial player? I politely vehemently disagree very strongly.

Krabs

Reaction score
Krabs,
Matthews a substantial player? I politely vehemently disagree very strongly.
I'm good with that. I don't think there is any real possibility to him coming back anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's all but guaranteed the Packers will move on from Cobb after this season to save $6.8 million of cap space.

Z has said he wants to play in GB till retirement. Before his injury I kinda thought outside chance he restructures for long term to stay, but this injury just muddles any logical thought on his future and could even be the end of his playing career.

Actually I believe his injury could improve the chances of Z agreeing to restructure his deal.

Lowry gets cut or restructured....Turner same as Lowry....

Lowry hasn't performed at a level that he should retained. It might be a decent option to restructure Turner's deal though.

Rough tracking math wise of cuts/releases:

Z released saves us $15,750,000
Cobb released saves us $6,858,000
Trade of Rodgers saves us roughly $15M (I think Denver and we get maybe either Jones or Agim, Drew Lock, and perhaps even a young guy like Baron Browning or KJ Hamler plus a pick or two)
After these moves we are no longer in the negative, BUT that leaves only like $11M and only 37 players (IF three come back in Rodgers trade) or 34 if none.

If the 2022 cap ends up at $208.2 million the Packers would effectively need to create $44.2 million of cap space to get under it for next season. Therefore those moves wouldn't be enough to even get under it for next season.

Restructure or Extensions:

Lowry - IF he stays he must take pay cut or get his contract reworked/team style extension - he cannot cost this team the 7.9M in 2022. Releasing saves us about $4M so his restructure in order to stay must save us minimum say $3M or same as releasing. Either way Lowry saves us around $4M - restructure makes most sense seeing as how we pushed voided money on him out through 2025, so actually extending him a year or two with a decent deal both ways actually saves money and we at least have a roster spot we are paying for present.

As mentioned above I don't think the Packers should keep Lowry for next season. Here's one thing I haven't found any information about but have been wondering for the past few weeks. I'm not sure it's possible to sign a player to an extension or restructure his deal if voided years have been added to a deal before he becomes a free agent.

The Packers would actually take an additional cap hit for next season by trading Rodgers for Watt. Not gonna happen.

I thought we were paying like 2-3 million bucks? I don’t think that’s much for a guy with his experience who can obviously still play.

I should have been more precise. Cobb is cheap when solely taking a look at his cap hit this year. If the Packers move on from him after 2021 you need to realize that he will have counted a total of $5 million towards the cap for one season.

Actually I was mostly thinking about next year though when he's set to earn a base salary of $7.875 million.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb will not be here next season under this contract. That was a given in my book when we traded for him.

ETA: this is why I say 2-3 million.

A source told ESPN that the Packers only had to give up a sixth-round pick and got the Texans to eat $3 million of Cobb's salary; the cap hit on the Packers will be slightly under $3 million.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I believe his injury could improve the chances of Z agreeing to restructure his deal.

As mentioned above I don't think the Packers should keep Lowry for next season. Here's one thing I haven't found any information about but have been wondering for the past few weeks. I'm not sure it's possible to sign a player to an extension or restructure his deal if voided years have been added to a deal before he becomes a free agent.

Z's injury moves anything into the realm of possibility with him really - where I was 99.5% sure he was gone.

If you find out about the voided year thing PLEASE inform us! If that is the case that closes some doors for sure.

Members online

Latest posts