Clay Matthews back in Green & Gold ?

Would you like to see Clay Matthews back in GB?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
OK....I will bite. I have decided that Clay Matthews would be a good edition to the 2020 Green Bay Packers for Veteran Minimum and no guarantees. There I said it. :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

There's a good amount of the nfl community that don't put much stock in pff grades...

Well, I don't consider PFF's grades the be all and end all in evaluating a player performance but it's a better indicator than just taking a look at his total number of tackles and sacks.

FYI all 32 teams actually work with PFF at this point so teams definitely put stock into their analysis.

That may be true I just think he'd be a better 4th olb than Kyler Fackrell. He'd also be cheaper and less of a long term commitment, most likely.

Matthews might be better rushing the passer than Fackrell but overall I don't think he would be an upgrade over him at this point in his career.

Only if some folks stop thinking the mere mentioning of past players back is the same as advocating to pay them what we once did or what they got when they left.

It would be insane to pay Matthews what he once earned but I'm not sure it would be smart for the Packers to bring him back even if agreed to the veteran minimum.

I said it with Blake, Tramon and now Clay. At the right price he would most certainly be worth it....I suspect someone out there (or multiple) is going to go above whatever that figure is to Gute and Co.

In my opinion the Packers should let Martinez walk away in free agency no matter what.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

S

sorry I don’t use a crystal ball, just going by what the Packer management has stated by upgrading the Packer defense, “upgrading”! Clay is talented but if Gute thought he was worth keeping, price wise or talent wise he would still be in GB....

Ever since the accident streaking through the saw mill, I do have a................no never mind.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that.

Sorry for late reply, very busy. First, I'm not saying bring Clay back, I'm speaking strictly from the ILB position. A major upgrade, disclaimer, not hard to do. I could write an essay on why, but I will keep this brief.

We can just talk about one single attribute, instincts.

Important: I'm not speaking on obvious goal line situation run plays or blitz plays.

It's the same old script for Blake. Hangs out, and I choose my words carefully, 7 yards back from the LOS. He's either going to make about 15 tackles a game from that area which involves minimum movement or a TE picks him up, which is very easy to do btw, basically taking him complete out of the play.

Never once in the 3rd Quarter will GB opponent runs the same play, I see it, you see, Martinez sees it and breaks the play up before it begins. I'll wait for any examples.

I'm watching the game on obvious run downs. This is the opportunity for that ILB to say you know what, let me cheat up at the los, project the play, nope, Martinez is stuck 7 yards back at the LOS. I have often said in this forum to pause the game tape when the RB gets the Ball, on many plays Martinez still has not moved, just watch the tape.

Clay or some middle of the road ILB will at least attempt to project plays. In all my years, I have never seen a ILB play prevent most of the game.

That is why I said a major upgrade. This reply is only discussing 1 attribute, I can keep going.

Last edited:

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as a big hitter and dominate player he was for the Packers, he is out on the west coast in L.A. and basicly home. Would he come back to play with the Packers whatever they are offering?

D

Deleted member 6794

First, I'm not saying bring Clay back, I'm speaking strictly from the ILB position. A major upgrade, disclaimer, not hard to do.

I agree that the Packers need a significant upgrade at inside linebacker but Matthews wouldn't present an improvement by any means.

He was an average inside linebacker at best five years ago and definitely has lost some speed since. It's unheard of that any ILB went two consecutive games without recording a tackle yet Matthews somehow managed to achieve that feat.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's unheard of that any ILB went two consecutive games without recording a tackle yet Matthews somehow managed to achieve that feat.

I'd write it off for Dom Capers. His performance has improved drastically (even at OLB) since he left us. Comparing a DC era stat isn't really ideal.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Mathews at this point in his career is still better than Blake Martinez.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd write it off for Dom Capers. His performance has improved drastically (even at OLB) since he left us. Comparing a DC era stat isn't really ideal.

Might want to include the guys playing around him as well, which I think has a lot more to do with Clay's "increased stats" in LA. I wouldn't really go so far to say that he has "improved drastically in LA"

D

Deleted member 6794

Capers definitely wasn't responsible for Matthews not recording a single tackle in two consecutive games while lining up at inside linebacker.

Clay Mathews at this point in his career is still better than Blake Martinez.

That's not true when talking about Matthews lining up at inside linebacker.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Inside, outside, left, right, middle, up, down, here, there, and everywhere. Not even close to most linebackers and whoever is dumb enough to give him a huge contract will find that out in a hurry. Good guy? Yes. Good teammate? Yes. Good human being? Sure seems to be. He goes about his business very professionally which is all you can ask these days. Film doesn't lie. Average LB at best. Now start nitpicking. In the game of forums, it's what a lot of you do best. Carry on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are they talking about bringing him back? i liked him, but I can't imagine he has much left at all

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are they talking about bringing him back? i liked him, but I can't imagine he has much left at all

Last dance...they getting the band back together

As a situational pass rusher, I think he could make some plays...but I think Cobb Bakh Rodgers on it because Packers currently need some bodies at olb

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to take Smith, Smith or Gary off the field in favor or Matthews in any situation. The only way would be for injury, and then he wouldn't be "situational" anymore and likely end up in the training room.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are super thin at edge and our ilb group is not very good either. He didn't play last year and should be super cheap. And he's a legend. For those reasons, I'd be fine with it, but I'd have zero expectation that he would be productive. He could probably play a small % of snaps, be a good veteran leader, and produce a couple of splash plays over the course of the year.

Pretty sure the tweets were all joking though? Who knows anymore...

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the mastermind of this century is calling the shots, lets go sign all his buddies from college. Oh wait, there aren't any. Lets go out and sign all his great ex-pro "friends". Oh wait, most of them can't stand him. That's just a guess, so relax. If these are his incredible insights and strategies that the FO has not tapped into, thank God that he will only be back for a year. Hopefully, 1 year won't be enough for #12 to totally poison the Packer organization. How does this guys head fit through any door?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the mastermind of this century is calling the shots, lets go sign all his buddies from college. Oh wait, there aren't any. Lets go out and sign all his great ex-pro "friends". Oh wait, most of them can't stand him. That's just a guess, so relax. If these are his incredible insights and strategies that the FO has not tapped into, thank God that he will only be back for a year. Hopefully, 1 year won't be enough for #12 to totally poison the Packer organization. How does this guys head fit through any door?
Whoa now, how do you know if he keeps in touch with college friends? That's silly. And "most" of his ex-pro friends can't stand him? Also nonsense. Not liking the guy is fine, but just spewing hateful garbage? Why bother?

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to take Smith, Smith or Gary off the field in favor or Matthews in any situation. The only way would be for injury, and then he wouldn't be "situational" anymore and likely end up in the training room.

2 of those 3 are currently out with injuries...

However I do agree I wouldn't wanna take any of the 3 off the field for cm3 but how many snaps did the number 4 guy get in 2020?

Since the mastermind of this century is calling the shots...How does this guys head fit through any door?

The same way yours does...and mine haha

Members online

No members online now.