Christian Kirksey being signed by the Packers

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will probably be our defensive leader, calling the plays. Christian Kirksey is a mouthful, so I propose the following nickname:

Kirk.

And as team captain . . .

Captain Kirk.

H

HardRightEdge

Kirksey injury history:

Sept. 2018: Shoulder, missed 2 games
Nov. 2018: Grade 2 hamstring strain, IR
Sept. 2019: Torn pectoral, surgery, IR

H

HardRightEdge

He will probably be our defensive leader, calling the plays. Christian Kirksey is a mouthful, so I propose the following nickname:

Kirk.

And as team captain . . .

Captain Kirk.
Are you suggesting he'll take us where no Packer has gone before...in the last decade?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was a joke.

I like Martinez, but he was a big liability in the passing game. It seems our middle of the field was constantly vacant of defense. Maybe that was only partly his fault.

I trust you in saying kirksey is a good pass defender. But to say that Kirksey is an upgrade in coverage over Martinez, does not say all that much.

LOL. Gotcha, and I concur saying he was an upgrade over Martinez wasn't saying much, but is something obviously everyone wants to know here in Green Bay. Honestly, he is a step below excellent in pass coverage for an ILB that isn't only a coverage backer. That should say more than the comp to Martinez.

H

HardRightEdge

This actually doesn't surprise me too much. I know people loved Littleton and Kwiatkoski, but at $8M/year, this could be a "2 players instead of 1" deal and should allow the Packers to sign another mid tier guy at another position with the savings.
I'm not sure this opens any cap door for another guy given the short duration of the contract. If the cap spread is relatively flat, which you would expect on a two year deal with some injury protection, the hit for 2020 would not be much different than a backloaded deal over 4 years for a higher priced player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you are telling us it that he has lower miles on his tires and well rested? :tup: :whistling: :cool:

Honestly yes, and besides the hamstring strain, none of the others will slow him down in coverage or hitting nature (that shoulder was minor). Torn pecs have a solid history in the league of not being a huge factor other than missed time.

H

HardRightEdge

Kirko is a nickname connected to him over the years.
How creative! When nothing else comes to mind just slap an "o" or a "y" at the end. "Y" seems to be popular in baseball; perhaps the diminutive sound of it is not manly enough for football.

I suspect this will be the last post I'll make on the matter nicknames for quite some time unless a joke comes to mind.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How creative! When nothing else comes to mind just slap an "o" or a "y" at the end. "Y" seems to be popular in baseball; perhaps the diminutive sound of it is not manly enough for football.

I suspect this will be the last post I'll make on the matter nicknames for quite some time unless a joke comes to mind.

Has something to do with a tagline of his Kirkoland or something.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I've read it was a $16M deal...but I've also seen multiple saying it is a $13Million deal over two years with $7M in year one on Kirksey

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I read he seems to be average against the pass and above average to excellent against the run. If he stays healthy I think he'll earn his paycheck.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would submit that was part of the problem, Stanford notwithstanding. He had the signal caller job taken away mid-year in 2017, passed around to Clinton-Dix then Burnett. If in his own play he often doesn't seem to know what he's looking at, lack of anticipation, you can't expect him to make solid defensive adjustments.

Sure. I'm not saying otherwise. But he was the play caller on defense, for better or worse. So the replacement is probably going to need to be able to do that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ben Fennell put together a great thread on Twitter that shows what Kirksey can do when he's healthy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. I'm not saying otherwise. But he was the play caller on defense, for better or worse. So the replacement is probably going to need to be able to do that.

Kirko has been a team captain and I believe had been the caller till injuries...someone else may be able to confirm that. He was a captain though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
what Kirksey can do when he's healthy.

I think I pointed this out when he was released last week, him not being healthy the past 2 seasons is why the Packers were probably able to sign him for a lot less than what Littleton and some others will get. His injuries don't scare me as much as what I would with ones that some might term chronic.

If he stays healthy, he could be a big bargain. If Littleton stays healthy, he will still probably be considered as an overpaid ILB. Obviously, that depends on what he ends up signing for. :)

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting what these signings do to our draft. Maybe it means heading for a D Lineman or W/O. But it could mean going for a guy like Braun. That could really make linebacker a strength, though I feel like I'm writing off Burks and not sure I should. Still can't count out an OL. We'll see if we sign someone else. At least they are positions of needs that we got.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I pointed this out when he was released last week, him not being healthy the past 2 seasons is why the Packers were probably able to sign him for a lot less than what Littleton and some others will get. His injuries don't scare me as much as what I would with ones that some might term chronic.

If he stays healthy, he could be a big bargain. If Littleton stays healthy, he will still probably be considered as an overpaid ILB. Obviously, that depends on what he ends up signing for. :)

Yup, I remember us both ******* our eyes on him. Torn pectoral while it took him out the year is not a long term worry at all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting what these signings do to our draft. Maybe it means heading for a D Lineman or W/O. But it could mean going for a guy like Braun. That could really make linebacker a strength, though I feel like I'm writing off Burks and not sure I should. Still can't count out an OL. We'll see if we sign someone else. At least they are positions of needs that we got.

Personally neither of these pick ups move the needle away from a specific position, but they both strongly push Gute out of a corner having to make sure he picks ILB or OT with not just a decent prospect but possible starter.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Bulaga, Martinez, Fackrell - we might get something like a 4th and 5th comp pick next year. Sweet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Bulaga, Martinez, Fackrell - we might get something like a 4th and 5th comp pick next year. Sweet.

I think there is an outside chance at a 3rd. If we don't sign anything big that actually counts towards cap (HIGHLY unlikely now). Martinez and Bulaga are gonna get BIG money.

Fackrell, Veldheer, Tramon all may garner fairly decent contracts which could influence.

Members online

Latest posts