Christian Kirksey being signed by the Packers

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I was just going to ask about the guaranteed when I read that post.. $4M sounds more in line with what many of us were expecting. He's got 2.25M tied to his health and another 3.5M tied to incentives which may or may not happen.
As someone already said, he’s heavily incentivized to be on the field.... and be on the field performing. We’re not wearing a “Kirksey” inscribed anchor necklace in the event he doesn’t swim to expectation, which makes sense when considering his recent injury history. Also his current year Cap hit is proportionately lower.. forecasting another outside signing coming our way?

If he returns in proximity to 2016-2017 form we’ve got a Winner. As the 2016 NFL LB leader in run stops.. he’s our first sign of our commitment to stop the Run.

DT anybody?

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. Every little bit helps and that is one less take away from the compensatory calculation. Given that the Packers could probably sign at least 1-2 qualifying FA's and potentially loose at least 3 (Bulaga, Martinez and Fackrell) of their own that would factor in to the calculation, its important. Of the rest of our potential FA's, I am not sure who would also add into it if lost.

RB: Danny Vitale (FB), Tyler Ervin (RB/returner).

WR: Geronimo Allison, Ryan Grant.

TE: Marcedes Lewis.

OT: Jared Veldheer, Jason Spriggs.

ILB: B.J. Goodson.

DB: Tramon Williams, Ibraheim Campbell, Will Redmond.

Of all the players you mentioned on this list I'd like to see Ervan because we need a returner, also Veldeheer and Allison from the depth perspective. Thing is we could draft WR at every position (WHICH we shouldn't and won't) but those guys have proven nothing in the NFL. Allison needs to stay for depth/experience reasons.

As far as Kirksey I gotta admit the Cleveland Browns thing is a bit of a hang up for me. Let's see what he can do here before we really praise this signing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as Kirksey I gotta admit the Cleveland Browns thing is a bit of a hang up for me. Let's see what he can do here before we really praise this signing.

While the scheme of a team ran while a player is there can most definitely play a factor in deciphering their ability in FA...the team merely in and of its self shouldn't garner the weight I suspect you are giving it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what I'm asking myself: Is he a winning football player? The answer is I don't know

What precisely is used in your opinion to designate someone as such? To gain clarity is Blake Martinez a winning football player to you personally?

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all the players you mentioned on this list I'd like to see Ervan because we need a returner, also Veldeheer and Allison from the depth perspective. Thing is we could draft WR at every position (WHICH we shouldn't and won't) but those guys have proven nothing in the NFL. Allison needs to stay for depth/experience reasons.

Allison too has proven nothing in the NFl except being able to always fumble the ball. No hard feelings towards him but there is no way the Packers should keep him, it would be a waste of money.

Now to Kirksey. Dude has a lot of upside and is everything the Packers missed in Martinez. He is fast, has good instincts and is solid in coverage. Gutey gave the Packers some needed flexibility for the draft. They arent forced to draft ILB,WR and OT in the first so they can go a more BPA approach in the first two, three rounds. But they still need a draft pick on both positions and the fact that the contracts are only 2 years tell me that the Gutey thinks so too. ILB got some great value in the later rounds while and OT is a strong class this year too so they can get good value in every round, like WR. Great low-risk moves by Gutey to start Free agency

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fingers crossed he can return to the form he showed 3-4 years ago. Seems like a lot to pay for a guy who was last good in coverage 4 years ago though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fingers crossed he can return to the form he showed 3-4 years ago. Seems like a lot to pay for a guy who was last good in coverage 4 years ago though.

If you look at the contract it is only a lot of money if he stays healthy and meets other incentives. If he stays healthy and meets the incentives then he is worth that price anyway. Good deal for the Packers as he isnt expensive if he doesnt pan out and if he does it isnt that bad either

Reaction score
If you look at the contract it is only a lot of money if he stays healthy and meets other incentives. If he stays healthy and meets the incentives then he is worth that price anyway. Good deal for the Packers as he isnt expensive if he doesnt pan out and if he does it isnt that bad either
Exactly. I see a contract that rewards play consistency and production with a relatively lower initial $ hit (comparing to chasingMartinez$$).
This also doesn’t cap-strap us or significantly hurt our chances for another FA signing or, as noted by Dantés, hurt our future draft position.

On that last note, I wonder if Gute would consider using a future draft pick to position us to get our guy at TE, WR or even DT. Particularly if we are in position to net a 2021 compensatory selection or 2.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Look, I didn't say it was a BAD contract, it just seems that the Packers might not have needed to make him the 17th highest paid ILB in the league when he hasn't really played well in close to 4 seasons. Again, lots of upside and $4m isn't really a LOT of money when you're looking at the cap, I was really just commenting on the hope that he can rewind the clock.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Look, I didn't say it was a BAD contract, it just seems that the Packers might not have needed to make him the 17th highest paid ILB

Let's visit that number in a week when a number of other ILB's sign new contracts. While Kirksey wasn't a bargain basement signing, he also wasn't a break the bank one either. Also, I doubt Littleton or any of the other top ILB Free agents are willing to sign without a lot of guarantees. Kirksey makes more money if he plays well and stays healthy, the Packers pay less if he doesn't. A win-win in my book.

Members online

Latest posts