Christian Kirksey being signed by the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This actually doesn't surprise me too much. I know people loved Littleton and Kwiatkoski, but at $8M/year, this could be a "2 players instead of 1" deal and should allow the Packers to sign another mid tier guy at another position with the savings. I also get the impression, just based on the history of the Packers, including last season, ILB just isn't a position they want to spend the big money.

Probably helped that he brings a lot of energy, is known as a great team guy and locker room presence. Pettine also worked with him during his rookie season at Cleveland I believe. Let's hope he has a big upside.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Kirksey is 27. He missed 9 games in 2018 and 14 games in 2019. Prior to that, he had never missed a game (i.e. he didn't start missing games until he got his 2nd contract :cautious:).

Once upon a time, he was a pretty dominant run defending linebacker.

He was drafted by Cleveland while Pettine was their head coach, and played for him for two seasons. It would seem that he wanted him in Green Bay.

He went down last year with a torn pectoral tendon, and in 2018 with a hamstring.

This could be a very nice addition if Kirksey returns to health. But that's a gamble after the last two sesaons.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got to say that if we were to land him I didn't think we would have to shell out 8m, but Im ok with the signing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, as a released veteran Kirksey won't count against the Packers in the compensatory formula.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping 6.5M/ Year but maybe $8M kept him from looking elsewhere.

Fools game to talk financials until we know the details.

Just remember the agent put the numbers out. The $16 million could be the maximum with all possible incentives. We just don't know yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, as a released veteran Kirksey won't count against the Packers in the compensatory formula.

Correct. Every little bit helps and that is one less take away from the compensatory calculation. Given that the Packers could probably sign at least 1-2 qualifying FA's and potentially loose at least 3 (Bulaga, Martinez and Fackrell) of their own that would factor in to the calculation, its important. Of the rest of our potential FA's, I am not sure who would also add into it if lost.

RB: Danny Vitale (FB), Tyler Ervin (RB/returner).

WR: Geronimo Allison, Ryan Grant.

TE: Marcedes Lewis.

OT: Jared Veldheer, Jason Spriggs.

ILB: B.J. Goodson.

DB: Tramon Williams, Ibraheim Campbell, Will Redmond.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The figures were reported by Kirksey's agency, so doubtless 2 years, 16M is the best way to cast the deal. We will see what it really looks like when we have details.

The LB contracts in the coming days might put this one in perspective as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One aspect of this that makes sense to me is that while he never performed up the standard I wanted to see, Martinez was and has been the cerebral center of the defense. He gets the calls in and gets everyone lined up.

So replacing him was not just about his role on any given play, but his role as the defense's leader. Kirksey knows this defense already, so it shouldn't be a stretch to ask him to step into that role.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone following my posts know I brought up Kirksey when he became available. I 100% was a supporter of signing him....albeit I had him pegged at $6.5-$7M a year tops...but I always am stuck in last years figures and each year things bump.

For those that don't know him, I think some research is going to show when healthy he is more than capable and this two year deal is a great one if he stays healthy, but also leaves a window of developing a future option should we draft a ILB in April.

This does amend my predictions of a Schobert/Kwiotoski signing I believe however, as I now am unsure that occurs. I think you see us spend serious cash on a TE or a RT replacement.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa. I didnt see this coming. And about 2x what I would have expected.

I hope it is contingent on being available, given his injury history.

Well, I'm not sure how good he is, but Mike Pettine should know exactly. I'm trusting Gute on this one, he has earned our trust and we should have the inside track on him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One aspect of this that makes sense to me is that while he never performed up the standard I wanted to see, Martinez was and has been the cerebral center of the defense. He gets the calls in and gets everyone lined up.

So replacing him was not just about his role on any given play, but his role as the defense's leader. Kirksey knows this defense already, so it shouldn't be a stretch to ask him to step into that role.

100%...worst case I'm comfortable with him lining up week 1 as our ILB...but imagine if we pair him with a more than capable rookie in roudns 1-3....this signing has that written all over it being just a 2 year IMO. Honestly if he remains healthy and excels and we don't draft an ILB heir apparent, Green Bay should discuss extension with him but that is a ways out and a lot has to line up for that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa. I didnt see this coming. And about 2x what I would have expected.

I hope it is contingent on being available, given his injury history.

Well, I'm not sure how good he is, but Mike Pettine should know exactly. I'm trusting Gute on this one, he has earned our trust and we should have the inside track on him.

Don't be too shocked and remember the "per year" money grows as contract shortens. We also don't know the structure.

When healthy this dude excels in coverage when compared to Blake, I'd argue he may not be the tackler Blake was but has shown more than willingness to attack holes and stop the run. Followed him a little through the years as the Browns are kinda my AFC follow and he is biting at the chops to hit the ground running dealing with nagging injuries of late.

He also is young enough he knows he could be playing for one final significant pay day and Pettine's defense as we know with Blake allows stat building numbers at the ILB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly his energy and excitement.....think a Za'Darius lined up at ILB. This locker room is gonna love him.

H

HardRightEdge

Surprising!
I don't find the player surprising since he was in Green Bay for a visit last week. The money, however, is suprising. I would expect some meaningful per game roster bonunes, and a year two roster bonus payable at the start of the next league year. Two years doesn't leave much room for backloading so the two years should be flattish.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't find the player surprising since he was in Green Bay for a visit last week. The money, however, is suprising. I would expect some meaningful per game roster bonunes, and a year two roster bonus payable at the start of the next league year. Two years doesn't leave much room for backloading so the two years should be flattish.

I do think the money is going to seem more reasonable as we see more FA signings over the coming days and weeks. I always every year seem to be 10-20% behind on expected salary amounts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly his energy and excitement.....think a Za'Darius lined up at ILB. This locker room is gonna love him.

This was my first thought after it was announced that the Browns were releasing him and I actually read about him and watched film. He should fit right in with the Smith Brothers and add to that already high energy that they have brought to the defense. Now that alone, doesn't make plays, but it sure helps to motivate the other guys around you.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When healthy this dude excels in coverage when compared to Blake, I'd argue he may not be the tackler Blake was but has shown more than . . .
Not a good selling point.

It's like saying . . .

This DT is less injured than Justin Harrell

That OT is a better blocker than Jason Spriggs

The CB who knows more about being a CB than Quentin Rollins

. . .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a good selling point.

It's like saying . . .

This DT is less injured than Justin Harrell

That OT is a better blocker than Jason Spriggs

The CB who knows more about being a CB than Quentin Rollins

. . .

You're reading vastly too much into the Martinez line. The dude does excel compared to Blake, but honestly is one of the top 5 or 8 ILBs in coverage available in FA honestly.

Also no....that is not like saying those comparisons you listed to fellas not in the league or barely clinging...Blake is the franchise tackle leader and set to make bank in the NFL...anyway you slice you took that one and ran into an entire different field for comparison.

H

HardRightEdge

Martinez was and has been the cerebral center of the defense.
I would submit that was part of the problem, Stanford notwithstanding. He had the signal caller job taken away mid-year in 2017, passed around to Clinton-Dix then Burnett. If in his own play he often doesn't seem to know what he's looking at, lack of anticipation, you can't expect him to make solid defensive adjustments.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're reading vastly too much into the Martinez line. The dude does excel compared to Blake, but honestly is one of the top 5 or 8 ILBs in coverage available in FA honestly.

Also no....that is not like saying those comparisons you listed to fellas not in the league or barely clinging...Blake is the franchise tackle leader and set to make bank in the NFL...anyway you slice you took that one and ran into an entire different field for comparison.
Was a joke.

I like Martinez, but he was a big liability in the passing game. It seems our middle of the field was constantly vacant of defense. Maybe that was only partly his fault.

I trust you in saying kirksey is a good pass defender. But to say that Kirksey is an upgrade in coverage over Martinez, does not say all that much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts