Brett Hundley -2017 season performances

crent

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will add, though, that it may also be the play calling. I don’t know if they just aren’t letting Brett be Brett. I know they’ve called a lot of safe, short plays. And I know they’ve called a lot of downfield plays that Brett has simply opted for the checkdown because he gets too flustered to let the receivers get downfield. If his sub-optimal play is a result of the coaches keeping a tight leash on him, then I feel really bad for the guy. I’d rather see him take some shots and make mistakes than be in a position where it’s impossible to be successful before the ball is even snapped.

P.S. We get it that he isn’t going to be Aaron Rodgers. Nobody will. But that doesn’t mean we have to settle for Matt McGloin.
I totally agree. A lot has to do with play calling and they need to let him play. On his first start 80% of his passes where caught behind the line of scrimmage. Cut him lose! like you said hes not Aaron Rodgers, he never will be nor will anyone else. We aren't expecting him to take us to the super bowl, but win a few games. The defense also has to step up and make some stops but I'm sure theirs another thread for that.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley isn`t a bad QB, he`s at worst an ordinary QB. The trouble is the Packers have spoilt you all with an exceptional QB and you have gotten too used to it. Give the guy a flamin break. God help the next guy who gets the starting job when Rodgers stops playing. :rolleyes:
We all have seen many QB's better than Hundley. Rodgers, Farvre, Majik Man. Lynn ****y, John Hadle, Bart Starr, to name a few. Matt Flynn was better up to this point. Hell, I wish we would have kept the guy that New Orleans picked up, as he played better than Hundley IMO.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's at par with Trubisky or Keenum or Garappolo or Kizer or Brisset or Glennon...or even Simean imo.

Even at college he was known more for making plays with his feet than with his hands. You really can't expect him to thread the needle or set the game alight with passing.

Design plays to his strengths and he's decent enough to not make this season a total write off.
I've seen Garappolo play and he is much better than Hundley.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are reading this the wrong way...

We are an underdog in every game with Hundley under center. My point is people are celebrating that we beat the Bears like it means our season is saved.

I for one was expecting us to go from 4-3 to 4-12. So every win is kind of surprise and no wonder people are happy. Nobody really expects us to go for a full season, but in a otherwise bleak forecast, we deserve whatever joy we can get out of these wins.

He clearly is going to take a lot of time to develop, and we don’t have that time.

Don't have time for what? What's the hurry? If we can get him to a decent tradeable level by end of season, that would be a success. Don't think anyone expects Hundely to be AR12 long term replacement.

If we play like we did yesterday, the Ravens are going to coast by.

Really? The same Ravens who lose to "just the Bears"? They are a very inconsistent team and if they can lose to Bears, they can lose to us. I give us an even spread.

Most of the people arguing in favor of Hundley bring up one throw that Adams made a great play on.

Not really. They are just bringing it up to stop people from writing him off already. It's just an example of potential...which may or may not become a reality. Argument is give him 5 or so games at least before making your mind on him.

Honestly, we need MM to adjust post AR more than Hundley, imo. Atrocious play calling is also hindering Hundley.

crent

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I for one was expecting us to go from 4-3 to 4-12. So every win is kind of surprise and no wonder people are happy. Nobody really expects us to go for a full season, but in a otherwise bleak forecast, we deserve whatever joy we can get out of these wins.

Don't have time for what? What's the hurry? If we can get him to a decent tradeable level by end of season, that would be a success. Don't think anyone expects Hundely to be AR12 long term replacement.

Really? The same Ravens who lose to "just the Bears"? They are a very inconsistent team and if they can lose to Bears, they can lose to us. I give us an even spread.

Not really. They are just bringing it up to stop people from writing him off already. It's just an example of potential...which may or may not become a reality. Argument is give him 5 or so games at least before making your mind on him.

Honestly, we need MM to adjust post AR more than Hundley, imo. Atrocious play calling is also hindering Hundley.

very well said!

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aside from you saying you expected us to go 4-12 and then in the same comment saying you expect us to have an even spread against the Ravens, I can agree with most of this. I think a big part of it is MM not letting the kid do his thing. But he has made a LOT of very poor judgement calls that have nothing to do with what play was called. You can’t teach someone how to see the whole field and you can’t teach awareness. You can tell them about it, but stuff like that is more of a natural talent. And it’s that type of ability that separates successful college QBs from successful NFL QBs. He doesn’t have the awareness and pocket presence to be successful, and I can’t think of a quarterback in the past that had such terrible awareness and pocket presence that actually became a good quarterback.

All that said, the play calls need to at least give him a chance. The rest of this team IS good enough to carry Hundley on their backs. But not if we are starting every play from behind the line of scrimmage.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

The rest of this team IS good enough to carry Hundley on their backs. But not if we are starting every play from behind the line of scrimmage.

I think the point is the rest of the team ISN`T good enough to carry him and the kid is doing what he can. I just think it is what it is and we should be supporting him and giving a chance instead of writing him off so much. We`ve even had complaints about his chewing gum for pity sake. It`s his thing and thats it. I`m not attacking anybody here but it`s like nothing the kid does is ever going to be good enough. We are all pissed at the loss of Aaron Rodgers and some of us are venting our frustration on Huntley because of it......He didn`t break Rodgers shoulder, it just happened and we`ve got to get on with it. It`s like getting an Amiga computer when you were a kid instead of the X-box you really wanted. You`re disappointed but you just have to get on with it because that`s the best you can do for now.

DSG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not going to bash Hundley but…

I truly believe that MM should give Joe Callahan a shot at playing, either the next start or at least bench Hundley in the second half of his next poor performance. Lots of people discount Callahan because he played Div III ball, but I view it differently – he’s made it here for us now. The kid has some that special something, that bit of magic that could prove he can play – that Doug Flutie type of ‘can make it happen’ type play, the type of play and presence Hundley doesn’t have. Callahan has shown that he can be part of a winning/competitive formula wherever he has played – high school, college, GB practice squad, and a bit of pre-season. Now it’s time for his chance to play for GB in a real game until AR returns and Joe becomes the #2 back up where he belongs until AR retires.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not going to bash Hundley but…

I truly believe that MM should give Joe Callahan a shot at playing, either the next start or at least bench Hundley in the second half of his next poor performance. Lots of people discount Callahan because he played Div III ball, but I view it differently – he’s made it here for us now. The kid has some that special something, that bit of magic that could prove he can play – that Doug Flutie type of ‘can make it happen’ type play, the type of play and presence Hundley doesn’t have. Callahan has shown that he can be part of a winning/competitive formula wherever he has played – high school, college, GB practice squad, and a bit of pre-season. Now it’s time for his chance to play for GB in a real game until AR returns and Joe becomes the #2 back up where he belongs until AR retires.
He was good in preseason last year. He was not all that impressive this year, in fact he was much like Hundley. and if we're going to judge by preseasons, Hundley was better than him 2 seasons ago when he was a rookie. Back when both of these guys got away with just "making plays" it was against back ups and running a legitimate NFL offense against a team scheming against you is an entirely different ball game. Callahan may have "it", but it only showed during last years preseason. he hasn't show he can win everywhere, as he never won a job in New Orleans, not in Cleveland and not even in GB where the only reason he's on the active roster is because of injury. Is Callahan the next Janis? Temper your enthusiasm guys.

DSG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was good in preseason last year. He was not all that impressive this year, in fact he was much like Hundley. and if we're going to judge by preseasons, Hundley was better than him 2 seasons ago when he was a rookie. Back when both of these guys got away with just "making plays" it was against back ups and running a legitimate NFL offense against a team scheming against you is an entirely different ball game. Callahan may have "it", but it only showed during last years preseason. he hasn't show he can win everywhere, as he never won a job in New Orleans, not in Cleveland and not even in GB where the only reason he's on the active roster is because of injury. Is Callahan the next Janis? Temper your enthusiasm guys.
Good points and well said. I like the kid & think he deserves his chance & I don't think that's optimistic but not too much.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him too, but Hundley is showing improvement each week, we're not going to bail on him now. we're at a point in the year and his development that we're either sinking or swimming with him. If he gets hurt that's one thing, but outside of that, his mistakes are going to be forgiven as long as he shows some growth from week to week until Rodgers is able to come back if it matters.

DSG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying give up on Hundley even though I'm not a big fan of his, I understand he was the obvious choice to step in for the abscence of AR, just saying if he goes down to injury or is having a bad game - give JC the opportunity, I believe he'll play to a higher expectation than most of us have.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm not saying give up on Hundley even though I'm not a big fan of his, I understand he was the obvious choice to step in for the abscence of AR, just saying if he goes down to injury or is having a bad game - give JC the opportunity, I believe he'll play to a higher expectation than most of us have.
I think winning the game this past Sunday bought Hundley some time. I don't think McCarthy would have continued to start Hundley if he continued losing games. Had the Packers have lost and Hundley played poorly, I think the possibility of Callahan this Sunday would be real.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to argue that you are wrong, because I really liked watching him play in last year's preseason, but unfortunately , everything you said is most likely correct.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to argue that you are wrong, because I really liked watching him play in last year's preseason, but unfortunately , everything you said is most likely correct.
he was fun to watch, and maybe he'd just "make plays" if he got in now. I think he would make plays, but I can't help think a lot of them would be for naught, as that only gets you by for a while and sooner or later that style ends up producing turnovers for the other team. I think it's why Hundley doesn't look like he did his rookie year. He's having to run an actual offense. and they're bringing him along slowly. It's a balance between opening it all up and opening it up at times to limit his mistakes. Eventually he has to make them all and learn from them, but finding that balance will allow him to grow and still keep this team in games is going to be tough.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had what, 2 starts? And plays for a team arguably better coached than us. I'll see what he can do with 49ers before making my mind.
I've seen him in preseason, as well...and his two starts are better than any Hundley start. Garapollo may not work out but he is better than Hundley.