Brett Hundley -2017 season performances

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked his debut. Showed class in rushing, but MM was conservative in passing game. Easing him into the deep end of of the pool is how I see it. Good eye, but needed to improve on pass accuracy. We need to factor in the crap O-Line however though.

Let's not be harsh in judging. Shows promise.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Accuracy is pretty important for a QB.

Hundley was constantly off-target. The passing game was completely non-existent which won't win us many if any games.

The O line was not great but aside from Taylor they had it back at full health so its not like it's going to get much better.

Other than what he did with his legs I couldn't take away much good from what he did today. I went into today hopeful that maybe we would be okay with Hundley. The game left with me with most of that hope extinguished and partially resigned to the idea that we probably just aren't going to be able to survive this.

Maybe he'll get better. I just wouldn't count on it being good enough.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley was constantly off-target. The passing game was completely non-existent which won't win us many if any games.

It's touch expecting to get hit play after play. The fear factor is high esp for a new QB. He still needs to improve his scrambling a bit, move out of pocket more. And make those throws. As you say, accuracy is paramount.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, as with Aaron, and even more so with Brett, the O-Line needs to buy sometime. Rodgers was perfectly fine throwing off balance, however Hundley is not (well at least not yet). Brett is obviously going to feel pressure in real NFL games from defensive penetration.

He has the ability to scramble, which is fine. He has the legs to do it and his runs today proved it. Yet, when he decides to scramble and stay within the pocket/behind the O-line he looked a little indecisive and let himself get off balance. I don't know how much the footing today played a role in that, not to make excuses, but clearly Brees wasn't at his best either.

He has the arm strength to throw downfield, but no accuracy when he's throwing off balance. Jordy saved him in the first half when he tried to throw off the back foot. I guess that doesn't happen right out of the gate, but if this team has a shot at winning, he needs to improve upon that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not throwing in the towel after today, but I expected more. Well not even expecting more I was hoping for more. He's not hat accurate and maybe it will come with experience. He has some tools to work with, but he must be more accurate and when we're ripping off runs like that he must at least hit on a play here and there.

People thought the play calling was too conservative, well what do when your QB isn't hitting the receivers? Let him throw more? Will they give us extra downs or possessions while he figures it out?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mitch Trubisky only completed four passes today for the Bears, but they crushed the Panthers. Helps to have a defense apparently. I wouldn't know.

This was Hundley's first start, so he has to be given time. But I have to admit I was expecting a little more out of him. I didn't see the game, it wasn't broadcast here, but it sounds like McCarthy kept a tight rein on him. Didn't we have our starting tackles in today? Why was the pass protection so bad (from what I hear)?

Even Rodgers was 6-10 in his first year, and obviously Hundley is no Rodgers. It is what it is, I guess.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not throwing in the towel after today, but I expected more. Well not even expecting more I was hoping for more. He's not hat accurate and maybe it will come with experience. He has some tools to work with, but he must be more accurate and when we're ripping off runs like that he must at least hit on a play here and there.

People thought the play calling was too conservative, well what do when your QB isn't hitting the receivers? Let him throw more? Will they give us extra downs or possessions while he figures it out?

I wasn't thrilled with the playcallimg today, but I have to agree with this. It disturbs me that this performance was in spite of a great running game. You would think the play action would have been effective. Nothing about the passing game was effective.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't thrilled with the playcallimg today, but I have to agree with this. It disturbs me that this performance was in spite of a great running game. You would think the play action would have been effective. Nothing about the passing game was effective.

Hundley never was accurate passer in preseason. He shined against people where going to get cut from the other team. This level play is more or less what I expected.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question: If he does not improve in the next 2 games, does MM bring in Callahan? He put Tolzien in whe Wallace failed 4 years ago. The precedent is there.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question: If he does not improve in the next 2 games, does MM bring in Callahan? He put Tolzien in whe Wallace failed 4 years ago. The precedent is there.

We looked just as bad with Tolzien. We got back Flynn and won 2 games. Quite frankly Callahan is just as bad Hundley.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mitch Trubisky only completed four passes today for the Bears, but they crushed the Panthers. Helps to have a defense apparently. I wouldn't know.

This was Hundley's first start, so he has to be given time. But I have to admit I was expecting a little more out of him. I didn't see the game, it wasn't broadcast here, but it sounds like McCarthy kept a tight rein on him. Didn't we have our starting tackles in today? Why was the pass protection so bad (from what I hear)?

Even Rodgers was 6-10 in his first year, and obviously Hundley is no Rodgers. It is what it is, I guess.

Mitch Trubisky had 107 yards passing..... 4 of 7 the defense scored 2 touchdowns. Other it would been 3 to 3 going into overtime.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We looked just as bad with Tolzien. We got back Flynn and won 2 games. Quite frankly Callahan is just as bad Hundley.
Quite frankly, you have no way of knowing this given that he hasn't played a single snap yet.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tolzien only game in after Wallace was hurt. It wasn't because of poor play.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am typically not a pessimist, but I do not understand how anyone that actually watched that game think there is hope for Brett Hundley. Let me lay out the facts:

1. 180 rushing yards
2. 3 turn overs on defense
3. Offensive line held up in rushing and only allowing 1 sack
4. 4 tackles for loss
5. 87 passing yards
6. Final score 26-17

Just do me a favor and look at those numbers. BOTH Cody Kessler and DeShone Keizer had more passing yards in a half a game with absolutely no recievers on their team. Jacoby Brissett had 200 passing yards. Some guy throwing for the 9ers had 235 passing yards. Brett Hundley had 87. The worst in NFL week 7. We will be lucky to beat the Browns. Hundley showed absolutely no passion in the second half of that football game. He had open men. He made terrible decisions on his QB options. I am sick of hearing people sugar coat this. Yes, the playcalling was not great, but did you ever think maybe it is because MM knows how bad his QB is? Just please look at those stats and tell me, the QB is not the reason we lost that football game. We did not even put a game manager out on the football field like a Trevor Siemian or Mitch Trubiasky. The packers fired on every single cylinder (slowing the high powered Saints O to 24 points is a win for our defense, the Oline did their job, the run game was top notch) with the exception of the quarterback. The packers lost this game because of Brett Hundley. No one else.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well unfortunately the guy will never be anything more than a backup. He's basically had two full games to get paid, and go compete for a starting job next season but he's looked awful in both games. For a guy that's been in the SAME system for over three years he looks like a rookie out there smh. The saddest part is his HC and play caller has really let him down smh. As bad as Hundley has looked the man who's "invested over 3 years" in him has no clue how to call plays that get the ball out the guys hands quicker our how to utilize the Tightends he has.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have brought this up every once in awhile and the current situation at QB compels me to bring it up again. Here the Packers have a solid offense with a Future HOF QB and they decide that a 5th round developmental QB is the guy they want backing him up. I am not saying Brett Hundley can't turn into a decent QB, but for what purpose, to be traded or let go as a FA? So now during that "training period" of giving him starting reps, the offense has to be watered down and suffer through his growing pains and talk of making the playoffs will probably evaporate before he has thrown a half dozen TD's?

The Packers would have been better served to have had a #2 QB with experience, a guy that could step in and compete in an NFL game from the jump. There are plenty of veteran QB's out there every year looking for jobs, their days as a starter are over. Not only do they provide a playoff contender the chance to stay in the hunt, they may provide more support on the sidelines and at practice with their knowledge of the game.

I will wait for the Seneca Wallace example for someone to bring up, but keep in mind who he was at the time and how long he had been in the Packer system. I also don't think you can "instantly" get good play out of just bringing a vet off the street today and expect much out of him next Sunday.

Once again, the Packers are a team that over relies on draft and development and once again, showing how that can fail at the most important position on the field.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I have brought this up every once in awhile and the current situation at QB compels me to bring it up again. Here the Packers have a solid offense with a Future HOF QB and they decide that a 5th round developmental QB is the guy they want backing him up. I am not saying Brett Hundley can't turn into a decent QB, but for what purpose, to be traded or let go as a FA? So now during that "training period" of giving him starting reps, the offense has to be watered down and suffer through his growing pains and talk of making the playoffs will probably evaporate before he has thrown a half dozen TD's?

The Packers would have been better served to have had a #2 QB with experience, a guy that could step in and compete in an NFL game from the jump. There are plenty of veteran QB's out there every year looking for jobs, their days as a starter are over. Not only do they provide a playoff contender the chance to stay in the hunt, they may provide more support on the sidelines and at practice with their knowledge of the game.

I will wait for the Seneca Wallace example for someone to bring up, but keep in mind who he was at the time and how long he had been in the Packer system. I also don't think you can "instantly" get good play out of just bringing a vet off the street today and expect much out of him next Sunday.

Once again, the Packers are a team that over relies on draft and development and once again, showing how that can fail at the most important position on the field.

But what about the Seneca Wallace situation ?

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am typically not a pessimist, but I do not understand how anyone that actually watched that game think there is hope for Brett Hundley.

Hundley said:
“The emphasis was just making plays with my legs today, so that was pretty much [counting] one, two, three, and then get out and make something happen,” said Hundley, who completed just 12-of-25 passes for 87 yards and no touchdowns with one late interception. “That was a big emphasis on today."

Plus you need to build the chemistry between the QB and WRs. Rodgers is just getting comfortable with Adams this season and had Jordy as first read till last season. Expecting the same with new QB is ridiculous. There were open receivers but under MMs instructions the emphasis was on run game and so throws were secondary consideration in his mind.

This is not a defence of Hundley by any chance, just that it's way too early to write him off without considering other factors. Maybe he'll be a boom or a bust, but this game is not enough of a sample to decide.

I hope MM mixes it up and balances the play. Jones is good, but we need a passing game if we are to go deep in the season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus you need to build the chemistry between the QB and WRs. Rodgers is just getting comfortable with Adams this season and had Jordy as first read till last season. Expecting the same with new QB is ridiculous. There were open receivers but under MMs instructions the emphasis was on run game and so throws were secondary consideration in his mind.

This is not a defence of Hundley by any chance, just that it's way too early to write him off without considering other factors. Maybe he'll be a boom or a bust, but this game is not enough of a sample to decide.

I hope MM mixes it up and balances the play. Jones is good, but we need a passing game if we are to go deep in the season.

I'm glad you said deep into
The season and not post season because the Packers streak of going to the playoffs ended in Minnesota, buddy.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Isn`t it likely that Rodgers goes off script often as an eperienced QB, where Huntley doesn`t have the eperience or the confidence of the team at the moment to do it ? I was always a fan of Mike McCarthy but I`m losing faith now.

Members online

Latest posts