Brett Hundley -2017 season performances

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that Colin is perceived as damaged goods, he'd likely settle for less salary than the going rate. And he grew up in Milwaukee, so playing for the Pack might be considered a bonus.
Born in mikwaukee, grew up near fond du lac..only 4 years... grandparents live down street from wife's aunt in New London

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings: Threw 2 million bucks at Case Keenum, a journeyman undrafted free agent. Never played in the Vikings offense before 2017. Result when called upon, total success, 8-2.

Packers: Invested a 5th round pick in Brett Hundley, coached him for 3 years in supposedly one of the best QB coaching schools in the NFL. Turned down a day 2 pick for him. Result when called upon, total disaster.

How is it this difficult for us? Are Mike McCarthy's QB coaching skills just THAT overrated? Please don't say it's Keenum's supporting cast. There is absolutely nothing special about the Vikings offensive line and guys like Thielen, McKinnon and Latavius Murray compared to our line and Nelson, Adams, Montgomery, etc.
I think they misjudged what Hundley could do in the pressure of the game. he can throw every bit as good as Keenum can, but he makes horrible decisions and has poor pocket presence in game situations. Far too many mistakes. Limit mistakes and things aren't so bad, but that's the nature of the game I guess. Can they get him thru this? I don't think in time to save this season if at all, but here's to hope :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Intelligence is underrated sometimes... and I'd say for a QB it can be more important than physical ability.
i used to think that way, then I remember when the Vikes picked Ponder. That guy was smart, but he didn't do anything but get worse in the NFL. he could throw decently as well. At least when he got in the NFL and it went south fast. But when they first picked him, I was like, uh oh, that guy is going to figure out defenses and even if he's not an amazing athlete he's going to know where to go with the ball. Turns out he couldn't do either LOL

But there is so much that goes into it. Mental toughness, the ability to make split second decisions and be right :) , Take a hit and get back up, strong arm, or at least know when you can and can't make a throw. know the offense, the defenses you'll face and feeling what is going on around you, while only paying attention to what is happening downfield. Some of the decision making stuff I think he can "potentially" get better with as he realizes these guys close fast and he has to realize when he can and can't make certain throws. Pocket presence is another story. not sure Hundley is going to get that. But that first drive, when it's scripted, and he knows everything is timing and where the ball goes, he looked good right up till the INT :)

after that it seems the more decisions he has to make, the worse things get. will he get it with experience? I hope he learned it all last week and surprises me :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But that first drive, when it's scripted, and he knows everything is timing and where the ball goes, he looked good right up till the INT :)
This. since the first 15-20 plays are scripted and offenses typically run 60-75 plays a game (excluding the short yardage plays), why doesn't McCarthy just shuffle the script 3-4 times and stay with those same plays?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the worst QB's I've seen in a long time. Bravo Thompson!!!
You really should pay attention to some of the other QBs the Packers play. It isn't always Dom's defense looking that good. Catch some of the MNF snoozefests sometime. But yes, the previous two starters were between OK and wow. Tolzein not so much.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well... Dallas is now 0-3 without Zeke.... Funny how losing one guy can change a season.. lol.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BIG step up from him. I can't believe we were in contention till end of the game! His pocket awareness and sack avoidance needs to improve, but as they say, work in progress.

Bucs and Browns should be relatively easy and winnable games.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did better but his stat line is REALLY misleading. Out of his 245 yards passing, 183 came after the catch. So he basically completed short passes and let guys run with the ball. Again, an improvement to be sure and something to build on, but his stat line from the game needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had some pretty nice throws that were not short dump off variety. The screen, but he had a long one to Adams, to Cobb, etc. he was better and it was obvious

DSG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definately a better performance by BH, agree with Sunshinepacker, stats are misleading. Happy with the improvement over all.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is not consistent.

Bucs and Browns?
Whatever.
They now have a very good shot at beating us which they might do.

crent

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much more improvement in last nights game. He seems to be on a every other game bases lol

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He is not consistent.

Bucs and Browns?
Whatever.
So after Sunday's game, how do they have a better chance than after the Ravens game? What holes in Hundley's game did the Steelers expose that the Ravens or Lions did not?

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After last game, that's honestly one if the most ridiculous things I've read on here.

We may lose still, but I have high hopes now. We were one kick away from an upset win. And you'd have to be seriously pessimistic to not look upon that performance with Lil bit of hope.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After last game, that's honestly one if the most ridiculous things I've read on here.

We may lose still, but I have high hopes now. We were one kick away from an upset win. And you'd have to be seriously pessimistic to not look upon that performance with Lil bit of hope.
Can't see how you a fan would not find optimism in Hundly's improved performance.

The level of analysis is this: Did the Packers win? No? Hundley must suck.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't see how you a fan would not find optimism in Hundly's improved performance.

The level of analysis is this: Did the Packers win? No? Hundley must suck.
That's giving some too much credit for their analytical skills

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's giving some too much credit for their analytical skills
Then mine must be even worse... even if they had won .. I'm still leaning towards "Hundley sucks" lol. I will agree he has been shown improvement... and his raw stats looked good last night... but those 2 sacks in a row before the ill advised 57 yard FG attempt ... really changed the game..

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then mine must be even worse... even if they had won .. I'm still leaning towards "Hundley sucks" lol. I will agree he has been shown improvement... and his raw stats looked good last night... but those 2 sacks in a row before the ill advised 57 yard FG attempt ... really changed the game..
Hmmmm, who else is known for hanging on to the ball too long, especially early in his career? Aaron Rodgers.

The man played with confidence, threw great passes, darts when necessary and with touch when required. He made great decisions and showed a lot of leadership. He played a great game. Period.

Lets hope this is closer to what we can expect than the Raven game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those sacks were bad, but overall if Hundley played like he did last night fr0m the moment he stepped on the field in MN, there's a good chance we win a few more games and are still sitting in a good position for the playoffs. I've seen about everything from him and like I said before, i'm not making any declarations other than the kid has clearly shown he "can" do everything a good NFL QB should be able to do. The big questions are going to be if he can replicate it and keep mistakes down as he learns from them with real experience. Not everyone gets it right away. In fact hardly anybody ever does, in anything. Most have to work pretty hard and make a lot of mistakes, even doing stuff they're good at.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah ... I may have been just a tad bit premature in wanting to crucify him at midfield because of the Ravens game. But last Sunday doesn't have me jumping on him being competent enough yet. It's a crazy league we got right now where even units that got shutout at home can bounce back and be competitive on the road just like Miami winning at Atlanta after the Saints blanked them out, or Pitt themselves winning at KC after getting stomped at home by Jacksonville. At the end of the day though, a loss is a loss and even with a better showing by Hundley, he still couldn't do what it took to win out there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah ... I may have been just a tad bit premature in wanting to crucify him at midfield because of the Ravens game. But last Sunday doesn't have me jumping on him being competent enough yet. ..
Take home lesson, nobody should be making conclusions on 1 week, 2 weeks 3 weeks. Nobody should be writing a final chapter at all. In any of this. It's football. the week to week declarations of finality and greatness or suckness are all premature. :)

just take it in. Evaluate a game and quit with blanket statements. what's been fairly obvious so far is Hundley can throw. He can throw pretty dang well. He has the tools to be a good QB. What has also been fairly obvious, he has pocket deficiencies, trouble with blitzes and trusting what he's seeing and delivering the ball quicker is not a strong point. There has been some glimmer of hope, regression and then what might have been a huge step forward, or not for him so far.

I don't think anybody outside of Bennett has quit this year and I don't see quit in Hundley either. Hardwork usually pays off, and I"m hoping it does for him this year. Might be too late, for this year, but it's never a bad thing to get better. Not every game has to be met with this guy sucks or is great and this coach and that coach and this GM and everyone else sucks because of the W or the L.

after the Ravens game, I had more than a few friends blasting everyone. MM has lost the team, they all quit and on and on. Bennett saw the **** show and took off was their reasoning. Well a team that has quit doesn't have vet's like Brooks with a bad back out there batting down passes to win a game nobody in the world gave them a chance to win. Don't look for things that aren't there. Don't make declarations that don't need to be made. Have your opinions, thoughts etc. That's fine. But if everyone of them is about finality and sticking forks in guys it might be time to re-evaluate how you watch? It was barely a year ago when people wanted Rodgers traded and Hundley to take over as the heir apparent :)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point we know what he is. He's a college option QB, which might work great in the annual Army/Navy game, not so much in the NFL.

He's essentially a poor man's Tim Tebow, which is saying something.

Oh well, hopefully we can play to his strengths on Sunday and escape the Hundley era at 7-6.

Latest posts