Brett Hundley -2017 season performances

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley has proven consistently that he is not an NFL quarterback. The experiment has failed, and they Packers have likely hurt the trade value they may have gotten for him. Before, nobody knew whether he was good or not, so many teams would likely be willing to take a shot on a guy that has trained under the best in the game for a few years. Now, the entire league knows that even learning from the best in the game, Hundley can't hang. Let's just hope the running game and defense can bail him out once more, and that Rodgers is medically cleared the following week. Would hate to see this waste of potential trade value also be a waste of a season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hundley has proven consistently that he is not an NFL quarterback. The experiment has failed, and they Packers have likely hurt the trade value they may have gotten for him. Before, nobody knew whether he was good or not, so many teams would likely be willing to take a shot on a guy that has trained under the best in the game for a few years. Now, the entire league knows that even learning from the best in the game, Hundley can't hang. Let's just hope the running game and defense can bail him out once more, and that Rodgers is medically cleared the following week. Would hate to see this waste of potential trade value also be a waste of a season.

While I agree with some of your points (to a lesser extent), I don't think many have fully given up on Hundley, including me. Call it being a Homer or hopeful, but he does show some signs of actually getting it. Will that mean he is a FHOF? Probably not, but at this point I am guessing he is better than Callahan and thus our only real option.

As far as blaming the lost season on Hundley, isn't that like blaming a lost Kentucky Derby on a Horse? If TT and MM didn't see the possibility that #12 could go down and that Hundley really wasn't going to be adequate enough to jump right in and keep winning, then that blame goes on the guys who put Hundley in the position, not Hundley himself......IMO.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with some of your points (to a lesser extent), I don't think many have fully given up on Hundley, including me. Call it being a Homer or hopeful, but he does show some signs of actually getting it. Will that mean he is a FHOF? Probably not, but at this point I am guessing he is better than Callahan and thus our only real option.

As far as blaming the lost season on Hundley, isn't that like blaming a lost Kentucky Derby on a Horse? If TT and MM didn't see the possibility that #12 could go down and that Hundley really wasn't going to be adequate enough to jump right in and keep winning, then that blame goes on the guys who put Hundley in the position, not Hundley himself......IMO.
That is exactly what I'm saying. I don't blame hundley for being a bad quarterback. I blame MM and TT for not admitting he's not the guy and at least trying Callahan or a cheap free agent if there was one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That is exactly what I'm saying. I don't blame hundley for being a bad quarterback. I blame MM and TT for not admitting he's not the guy and at least trying Callahan or a cheap free agent if there was one.

The interesting part of all of this will be what TT and MM do moving forward and in regards to the #2 QB in 2018. If Hundley hasn't shown a lot of improvement in his remaining 2017 games, I just don't see how the Packers can justify being comfortable with going into 2018 with him as the #2 again. But as we have seen in the past, TT sure isn't afraid to put a lot on the line by sticking with his own guys far too long.

Obviously, the one great thing that could still happen from this otherwise bleh year, is for Hundley to somehow start looking like a legit #1. If he does, his trade value sky rockets and the Packers either hang onto him for a year, take the eventual comp pick + the value of having a good #2 for a year or they out right trade him this offseason for a high pick. If I had to predict, Hundley is back in GB for his final year on his rookie contract and TT and Co. have convinced themselves that with a little more work, he is a legit #2.

At this point, the Packers won't be playing Callahan. McCarthy is all in with Hundley. They feel they still have a shot at the playoffs, especially if #12 comes back and plays. If the wheels fall off, we may see Callahan get work the last game or two.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remind me again whose first year as a starter stats are whose. You get to match Hundley with Jared Goff and Eli Manning. I chose the other two because they had similar number of games started.
Comp Att % yards TD Int sacks
95 197 48.2 1043 6 9 13
112 205 54.6 1089 5 7 26
126 206 61.2 1269 5 8 23

Hundley is 2-4, Eli was 1-6, Goff 0-7
I'll grant Hundley is not a rookie but then again he wasn't the #1 draft pick either.
Not a good comparison. The Packers are a much better team than either of those teams were.
Not mention we have great receivers.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley is a career backup. If he manages to get resigned by Green Bay it would benefit him
More by learning from Rodgers. That’s his best bet. I can’t see one scenario where he’s going in to compete to be the starter. Lots of athletes like Hundley at the QB spot selling Cars or teaching PE.
I don't want Hundley as a backup. I've seen enough already.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he takes a snap from center in a Packer uniform I am rooting for him, but I am not going to pretend I think he is an adequate QB just because we appear to be stuck with him.
Well said.

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we lose to the Browns, I think there will be no more talk about Hundley. It will be obvious that he is not a NFL !

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If we lose to the Browns, I think there will be no more talk about Hundley. It will be obvious that he is not a NFL !

We already have a Hundley thread here so I merged yours with it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be possible that in practice and study they see someone who is capable?

But once it's real, he folds

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could it be possible that in practice and study they see someone who is capable?

I think that's exactly what it is. I have very little doubt he looks like a really, really good back up in practice and probably better than marginal starter. But the pressure in the game can't be replicated in practice. There's even been times when he's run this offense fairly well, and others where he looks completely lost, and more than a couple where he was just off with his throws. I have to believe he's a more accurate passer, or at least has the potential to be or they wouldn't keep giving him downfield opportunities, but it obviously isn't all clicking for him in that regard.

Everytime I think he's making some progress it disappears. If this running game can be leaned on, it will help him, like it helps all young QB's. 2 things i have seen, seems to not be so jumpy on screen passes and actually lets them develop without giving it away at the snap and he's not giving up 20 yards every time he scrambles. Still not comfortable in the pocket and I don't think there are going to be enough games left for him to show much growth in that considering I haven't seen a lot yet and there's a good chance this is his last game starting for us.

I hope he does great for all sorts of reasons, draft pick potential, our teams post season hopes, and he does seem like a pretty good guy, and he keeps getting up and battling. he has the physical ability, the rest i'm not sure if he gets thru or won't?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

It's been "real" for 7 games now. I understood the first game or two, getting his nose wet in the NFL playing meaningful snaps. But if the coaches or Hundley himself haven't figured out a way to transfer his ability to shine in practice or going way back to his rookie year preseason games by now, then when will it come together? If Hundey has another underwhelming performance against the Browns today and Rodgers comes back next week, one of the biggest offseason questions (of many) will be: "WTF do we do with Betty Hundley?" If it isn't a question in the Packers minds and Hundley is patted on the rear and told...."Don't worry Tiger, you are still our #2", then something isn't right with the Packers thought process.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been "real" for 7 games now. I understood the first game or two, getting his nose wet in the NFL playing meaningful snaps. But if the coaches or Hundley himself haven't figured out a way to transfer his ability to shine in practice or going way back to his rookie year preseason games by now, then when will it come together? If Hundey has another underwhelming performance against the Browns today and Rodgers comes back next week, one of the biggest offseason questions (of many) will be: "WTF do we do with Betty Hundley?" If it isn't a question in the Packers minds and Hundley is patted on the rear and told...."Don't worry Tiger, you are still our #2", then something isn't right with the Packers thought process.

I was talking bout why was he the 2nd stringer..

By the time he had 2 or 3 games in, what were they suppose to do? go to a guy who is prob worse in practice and doesnt know the playbook that well?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hundley back next year as the #2 quarterback. He has some much needed experience under his belt now, and I don't think they're going to throw that away. He played well today (but consider who he was playing against). He's been 3-4 as a starter, which is far from great, but it isn't apocalyptic either.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My friends, a QBs development is not usually a steady upwards slope and frequently there are going to be peaks and valleys. However since Baltimore he has thrown 6 Tuddys and 1 interception. He has shown steady improvement and he is getting better not just with his throws and decision making but his pocket movement and his protection and route adjustments. The Brett Hundley we saw today was much better than the Brett Hundley we saw against Minnesota and thats in inclement weather with heavy gusting winds. IMHO his development has likely been curtailed by MM's conservatism. For instance it took a game of him getting knocked around against Baltimore before he learned to start stepping up in the pocket, and today he showed signs of moving in the pocket while keeping his headup. For a quarterback to learn you have to let him play a little and IMHO MM doesnt do him a lot of favors with running into 9 man fronts on first and second down before throwing into coverage on 3rd and 8+.

Take it easy and relax, he is improving like most quarterbacks do from playing and yes he does have a lot of plus attributes and a lot of the you can't teach that traits, I like how he bounces back from bad plays bad games and how he doesnt try to force the issue when things aren't going his way. I also like that the kid is a real load when he does run the ball. I would even think about getting him some packages even when Rodgers returns. Maybe let him come in and do some read option in those rare games when Rodgers is just off.

Things to work on:

1) Throwing early, wont just result in more open receivers but it will help the next issue.
2) Footwork, part of it is that he likes to try and extend the play but he doesnt have the arm talent to throw while falling down like Rodgers. Brett throws a pretty good ball though when his feet are on the ground, but he throws too frequently while falling backwards or off to the side. Get it out earlier brett when technique wont be a hindrance.

3) Pre-snap, knowing the coverages and making decisions... he is getting better with this though. He also needs to figure out ahead of time when he needs to throw fast and when running might be an option.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The expectations for Brett Hundley are mostly outlandish. He’s in his 3rd year and his entire 2nd was basically lost to injury. One could actually argue Brett hasn’t had 2 full years of playing time yet in live game or practice time.
Hes 3-4 in games started and improving IMO.
Hes lost to who? The Lions? The Ravens? the Saints? The Steelers?? That’s a combined 33-17 record or a 66% Win rate across the league. What’s the amount of game experience between those QBs on those teams vs Brett Hundley??

Those opposing QBs have 714 total games started or 179 starts per average... that’s over 11 years without missing a game btw on average..
... Brett has 7

Those opposing QBs have 188,120 passing yds ..Brett had 1286?

3 of those 4 have won at least 1 Superbowl Championship and ALL have a slew of playoff games under their belt....
Brett hasn’t finished 1/2 of one season.

I understand folks being impatient and having high expectations after us being spoiled rotten with the absolute highest level of QB play in the history of the game, but lets Be real.
There are teams (and fans) that would love to have their rookie QB at 3-4 to start the season and winning the last 2 in exciting OT games. This kids got a fire that many QBs lack. He’s got a 4th quarter kick that rivals any QB in this league. He’s tough, he’s smart and he’s better than Joe Callahan, and many backups we’ve let walk and I’d argue may very well be better than Colin K.
Take a look at his current stats. He’s also arguably comparable to a slew of QBs that have played this year drafted in higher rounds than himself, even including being thrown into the MN game with lineman who hadn’t played 1 game as a unit.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The expectations for Brett Hundley are mostly outlandish. He’s in his 3rd year and his entire 2nd was basically lost to injury. One could actually argue Brett hasn’t had 2 full years of playing time yet in live game or practice time.
Hes 3-4 in games started and improving IMO.
Hes lost to who? The Lions? The Ravens? the Saints? The Steelers?? That’s a combined 33-17 record or a 66% Win rate across the league. What’s the amount of game experience between those QBs on those teams vs Brett Hundley??

Those opposing QBs have 714 total games started or 179 starts per average... that’s over 11 years without missing a game btw on average..
... Brett has 7

Those opposing QBs have 188,120 passing yds ..Brett had 1286?

3 of those 4 have won at least 1 Superbowl Championship and ALL have a slew of playoff games under their belt....
Brett hasn’t finished 1/2 of one season.

I understand folks being impatient and having high expectations after us being spoiled rotten with the absolute highest level of QB play in the history of the game, but lets Be real.
There are teams (and fans) that would love to have their rookie QB at 3-4 to start the season and winning the last 2 in exciting OT games. This kids got a fire that many QBs lack. He’s got a 4th quarter kick that rivals any QB in this league. He’s tough, he’s smart and he’s better than Joe Callahan, and many backups we’ve let walk and I’d argue may very well be better than Colin K.
Take a look at his current stats. He’s also arguably comparable to a slew of QBs that have played this year drafted in higher rounds than himself.

He's a physical guy who isn't afraid to take one for the team, I guarantee that his teammates notice when he put head down to try and get into the goal line against two defenders.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the game ever "slows down" for Hundley he might be pretty good. Right now he can only execute the offense within a scripted opening drive or the no huddle/2 minute drill. My major concerns with him are his footwork and his pocket presence. You can fix footwork but pocket presence is instinctive. He runs himself out of plays horizontally instead of sidestepping the rush and moving up in the pocket. He takes his eyes off the field which is the worst thing you can do as its virtually impossible to regain that vision. I think he needs to start 12-15 games to get to the point where you can determine if he has it in him or not.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If the game ever "slows down" for Hundley he might be pretty good. Right now he can only execute the offense within a scripted opening drive or the no huddle/2 minute drill. My major concerns with him are his footwork and his pocket presence. You can fix footwork but pocket presence is instinctive. He runs himself out of plays horizontally instead of sidestepping the rush and moving up in the pocket. He takes his eyes off the field which is the worst thing you can do as its virtually impossible to regain that vision. I think he needs to start 12-15 games to get to the point where you can determine if he has it in him or not.

Well here's to hoping he never starts that many games for the Packers.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If that is the case they should have made another move by now. It's not like I'm making these comments after a game or two. He's proven to be inept at the position. Luckily we were able to sneak by the winless browns and hopefully Rodgers is cleared and we can move past the great Hundley debacle.

Members online

Latest posts