Bourke and Barry Released

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry should get picked up by someone pretty quick. He'll add quality, proven depth to someone's line.

Don't be surprised if the Texans grab him.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry should get picked up by someone pretty quick. He'll add quality, proven depth to someone's line.

I would disagree.

His Wonderlic sore of 8

His inability to play anything other than RT

His veteran's minimum makes him more expensive than a talented rookie.

Cutting Barry should have happened years ago.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm never surprised when the texans take our scraps

(except ahman, hes still got some gas left in his rich gas tank)

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well whom is going to be the depth at tackle this year... Moll? We were thin at tackle already... not saying Barry is the answer.. just we are light on any depth at OT...

69 Orrin Thompson T 6-6 322
76 Chad Clifton T 6-5 320
65 Mark Tauscher T 6-3 315
62 Junius Coston T 6-3 313
75 Tony Moll T 6-5 304
Allen Barbre G 6-4 300

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering the size of his contract, Barry was one of TT's most questionable FA signings in my opinion. He had never really shown the consistency to be a starter and seemed terribly ill-suited to the zone blocking scheme.

I can't see how anybody would be surprised by this move.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, too, am a bit pleased by the cuts. Barry was dead weight and Bourke apparently rendered non-essential with Barbre and Moll on the team. Both these guys must be pleasing to the staff. That gives me renewed hope. I would doubt Houston picks Barry up because the Texans also use the ZBS where an over weight OT is a liability. But one never knows for sure. Maybe MS gets the U71 used down there.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah these cuts wouldnt happen if there wasnt good play by others.

i hope thats the case.

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Bourke was the 2nd string LT at the start of the OTAs.

Having him released, I'm not exactly sure what it says about our possible depth at the O-Line. On the one hand, I'm sure they wouldn't have done this if there hadn't been someone else who proved to be better.

On the other hand, it doesn't exactly speak glowingly about our depth at LT, that a player released today was #2 behind Cliffy only a couple of weeks ago.

I wonder who'll work there now; Barbre was getting snaps at LG, McCarthy said he'd have Moll playing more as a T, specifically RT, and Coston hasn't played LT since coming into the NFL. With Clifton's bum knees, a #2 LT is of utmost importance. I have a feeling Moll will eventually be the guy.

Pack93z

Reaction score
See this is my real complaint with TT... he depends way to much on the young players without any proven depth in critical spots... I agree Barry's time was past... but here again like in some many other positions depending on the unknown.

*fingers crossed*

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See this is my real complaint with TT... he depends way to much on the young players without any proven depth in critical spots... I agree Barry's time was past... but here again like in some many other positions depending on the unknown.

*fingers crossed*

and bourke was what, a proven veteran?

Pack93z

Reaction score
No... but whom on the roster is a proven veteran at Tackle hmmm? For that matter anywhere on the roster...

Just his overall track record... don't freak out I am not bashing just stating a seen pattern...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No... but whom on the roster is a proven veteran at Tackle hmmm? For that matter anywhere on the roster...

Just his overall track record... don't freak out I am not bashing just stating a seen pattern...

Not freakin out.

I mean, in one thread we have people realizing TT made the right move cutting ties with Marco Rivera

and a couple threads down we have this, with people questioning cutting bourke and kevin barry for crying out loud..

whatever. all good.

Reaction score
and a couple threads down we have this, with people questioning cutting bourke and kevin barry for crying out loud..

whatever. all good.

I don't think it's questioning Ted cutting them; they shouldn't be near the team if the coaches think they aren't performing to a satisfactory level (at least).

It's just that you have Cliffy who is turning a big 30, and has bad knees. Bourke being the primary backup a week ago at the position, and now being unemployed is somewhat concerning because it does make you wonder what exactly he did wrong in a matter of 6-8 practices that caused him to fall so low on the depth chart.

When a guy who is getting regular reps at a critical position gets cut, with no other visible replacement, it does make you wonder how bad the guy was, and what exactly is the future of that position.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or they were testing him heavily early on in OTAs and he failed horribly

he wasnt taking mad reps cuz hes ...potential starter material or anything(im not saying you said it)

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Article will give you a more complete story of the release of these two Packer offensive linemen.

"Posted June 9, 2007

Packers release two O-linemen

Barry, Bourke had injury problems

By Mike Vandermause
[email protected]

Kevin Barry's once-promising career with the Green Bay Packers ended Friday when the team cut the backup offensive lineman.

Also released was left tackle Josh Bourke, who less than a month ago was practicing at minicamp as the primary backup to Chad Clifton.

Both Barry (torn quadriceps tendon) and Burke (back) missed the entire 2006 season with injuries.

As recently as 15 months ago, it appeared Barry was in the Packers' plans as a possible starter at guard. As an unrestricted free agent, Barry signed a two-year contract that included $1.2 million in guaranteed money.

Barry received a $600,000 signing bonus and $600,000 roster bonus and had a base salary of $625,000 last season. He was scheduled to earn $910,000 in 2007.

Barry originally signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent in 2002. He spent his first four seasons in Green Bay as a backup tackle and was used as a tight end in the Packers' U-71 offensive package. Barry played in 59 games with eight starts.

When the Packers re-signed Barry in March 2006 and moved him to guard, he was expected to have a legitimate chance to start. Two months later, he tore a quadriceps tendon in a routine minicamp practice and was lost for the season.

At 322 pounds, Barry was considered a little heavy for the Packers' zone-blocking scheme, which tends to favor smaller, quicker guards.

Barry became expendable because of the emergence of a strong 2006 draft class that included offensive linemen Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll.

Bourke, meanwhile, signed with the Packers last year as an undrafted free agent out of Grand Valley State. At 6-foot-7, 314 pounds, he made a favorable impression in training camp before hurting his back and being placed on injured reserve.

In the Packers' mandatory minicamp last month, Bourke was working as Clifton's backup at left tackle. But he fell on the depth chart. At Thursday's organized team activity session, Orrin Thompson practiced with the starting unit at left tackle when Clifton went out with a minor elbow injury.

Until the Packers develop another viable left tackle, it is believed Colledge, the starting left guard, would move over if Clifton goes down in a game.

The Packers drafted tackle Allen Barbre of Missouri Southern State in the fourth round, but he has lined up exclusively at left guard in practice.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson was unavailable for comment. "

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if something happens to Tauscher or Clifton this year, we'll be alright at the tackle positions and on the OL.

We'll just improve from within. :thumbsup:

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Mark Tauscher
Chad Clifton

After those two... we have no depth at tackle at all... I care less that they cut Barry or Bourke... it was there time to go.... but look at the roster after there departure... once again we have rookies and Moll whom is a guard... for christ sakes it is an observation..

I mean, in one thread we have people realizing TT made the right move cutting ties with Marco Rivera

whatever. all good.

Where did I complain about releasing them?

Ted has a tendancy to bank on youth that has no track record... only point. Good riddance to Barry he didn't fit the scheme... but you would think we might have a veteran or two in camp for protection if the rookies don't work out. If they are better keep the rookies.

All praise TT :bow:

Members online

Latest posts