Blame the offense?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like they didn't learn from last year.
The best QB with a million dollar arm hands it off on every 1st and 2nd play only to get stopped?
Change the strategy?
Nope.
And then when they finally get things going, it's too late.
Air-Run really needs to throw more.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could so easily blame the offense for the loss, but then again when u have almost the whole defense missing tackles and getting pressure but not making plays, Seattle showed us what happen when ur scared to tackle you get ran over and keeping containment is just out of the question. We honestly deserved that as whipping as a wake up call ELITE teams get it done on DEFENSE!

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
poor performance on both sides of the ball, offence stuttered but when they got flowing in 4th quarter defence couldnt step up. I like Mccarthy but he does seem to stick to a plan that isnt working for far to long, and running the ball in this game wasnt working. As the players keep saying its just one game, but it shows how far behind SB favs we are

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could so easily blame the offense for the loss, but then again when u have almost the whole defense missing tackles and getting pressure but not making plays, Seattle showed us what happen when ur scared to tackle you get ran over and keeping containment is just out of the question. We honestly deserved that as whipping as a wake up call ELITE teams get it done on DEFENSE!
You can disagree with me all you want to but I would appreciate it if you had started or contributed to another thread on defense already.
This is for discussions about the offense and what was wrong with it.
Back to discussing ONLY the offense, please.
Thank you.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really frustrating to watch our QB and all those great receivers he has being wasted.
I really believe that if they had gotten the offense going and more throws made, we would have won even with the d-fence the way it is.
Yes, d-fence does help but if they are not doing what they should then the strategy should be to outscore the opponent with the best way they can and that is with Air-Run's arm.
The run was getting stopped, (I think or it looks like Starks got more yards than Lacy did on his carries, not total.) and they keep on running the ball? Seriously, WTF?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Our play book must have been left at home..... all I saw was vanilla crap on offense that was no different than a pre-season play chart. Seac0cks has some great plays called in the right situation.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our play book must have been left at home..... all I saw was vanilla crap on offense that was no different than a pre-season play chart. Seac0cks has some great plays called in the right situation.

Mike McCarthy continually amazes me at how unimaginative, how predictable and how mediocre his play calling is. It's like the guy hasn't evolved at all. It's tiring to see the Packers get outcoached by the Harbaughs and Carrolls of the NFL.

But really the whole game was repeat of what Packer fans have seen for so long:

Costly injuries.
A defense that hasn't improved.
MM out-coached.
An offense that can't keep up with the big boys and can't deliver when it counts.

I'm certainly lowering my expectations after this laugher.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looked as if Seattle's defense knew our offense better than our offense knows our offense. Perplexing to see us run against 8 and 9 man fronts on 1st and 2nd downs time after time, and then pass against a 4 man rush on 3rd. Perplexing. Sherrod looked terrible at times; and looked ok at times, so i'm hoping he'll improve with some game experience. Lot of season left.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I loved the one screen play that was called. It went for a first down. Then, the Packers hit the "only call one screen play per game" quota, I guess.

(Maybe there were more screens, but I only recall one. Bottom line, IMO, is that there aren't enough.)

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The screen to Starks in the 4th that was batted down would have went for a touch. It is amazing that MM can't seem to see that a screen slows down the rush. The run schemes they ran were all too familiar, it did look vanilla.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a little weird to see absolutely nothing new about this offense. Usually there are wrinkles and plays that no one has seen before. It was also kind of frustrating to see Rodgers look at 2 wr's and little else. I realize Richard Sherman was on Boykin quite a bit but for Jordy to have 14 looks and Boykin 0 can not be how this offense is supposed to run.

ok......they did have the weird Daniels/Kuhn/Quarless set for the 1st TD but I think that was daniels filling in for raji in that package and not a huge new wrinkle.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM will NEVER change as a play caller..he's always been the same way since he's gotten here. Every yr his IHOP menu he carries around on the sidelines had the same 4 run plays and the same 4 pass plays circled. That's why the offense is so predictable. Having an innovative OC in Green Bay has been overdue for several yrs now. Darryl Bevil from Seattle called a stellar game however.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a little weird to see absolutely nothing new about this offense. Usually there are wrinkles and plays that no one has seen before. It was also kind of frustrating to see Rodgers look at 2 wr's and little else. I realize Richard Sherman was on Boykin quite a bit but for Jordy to have 14 looks and Boykin 0 can not be how this offense is supposed to run.

ok......they did have the weird Daniels/Kuhn/Quarless set for the 1st TD but I think that was daniels filling in for raji in that package and not a huge new wrinkle.

Boykins is zero threat against a good defense. Not very fast and can't play in the slot...I expect to see more Adams or the other Guy Janus more next gAme. I bet if James Jones was still here he would've at least threatened Marshall.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was shocked Janis wasn't even active. I thought they could give him one route.....go deep and it would stretch the field and he would get at least 1 or 2 40 yd PI calls at worst. I don't even think Adams was in for a single snap on offense....just special teams.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best QB with a million dollar arm hands it off on every 1st and 2nd play only to get stopped?
Change the strategy?
Nope.

Looked to me like his arm's still on layaway from K-Mart on those throws off his back foot last night. Either that or his brain is a blue light special.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Change the strategy?
Nope.

No Air-Run needs to hit easy passes, there were maybe 4 in the bag type throws that even a college quarterback has no business missing that he booted.

IMHO Aaron Rodgers needs to get more game snaps in the pre-season. Seems like every year he's just a little off the first couple of games.

Then of course there's Bulaga being replaced by Derrick Sherrod which was a huge downgrade and BJ Raji's preseason injury. Raji has generally been pretty effective against stud centers, Guion was just abused by Unger.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It continues to amaze me how how people can think one of the best offenses in the league does it with bad play calling.

The run game didn't work well last night. The passing game didn't work well either. Not much MM could have done.

Plus, Sherrod got beat bad on a 4th down and for a safety. Should we really have stopped running a lot when our LT was struggling mightily?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looked as if Seattle's defense knew our offense better than our offense knows our offense. Perplexing to see us run against 8 and 9 man fronts on 1st and 2nd downs time after time, and then pass against a 4 man rush on 3rd. Perplexing. Sherrod looked terrible at times; and looked ok at times, so i'm hoping he'll improve with some game experience. Lot of season left.

Well he needs more seasoning and Quest Field is a brutal environment for offensive linemen. If he has to start for an extended period Im sure he'll A) look better in friendlier environments and B) look better getting all of the practice reps.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle's defense just came off one of the greatest defenses performances in NFL history against one of the best offenses in NFL history.

It's a safe bet that their defense was just that good last night. Why is there an obsession with always trying to find someone to blame?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle's defense just came off one of the greatest defenses performances in NFL history against one of the best offenses in NFL history.

It's a safe bet that their defense was just that good last night. Why is there an obsession with always trying to find someone to blame?

Well they have an outstanding defense. But our Offense was moving the ball against them and odds are would have continued to do so if not for 1) Bulaga being replaced by Sherrod and 2) Rodgers' perplexing misses.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they have an outstanding defense. But our Offense was moving the ball against them and odds are would have continued to do so if not for 1) Bulaga being replaced by Sherrod and 2) Rodgers' perplexing misses.

I disagree that they were moving the ball. One long drive in the first half for a FG and the TD came after a muffed punt.

Agree that the loss of Buluga was big thought.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I expected a pretty vanilla offense with a rookie center. I think it will be fairly conservative until they feel Linsely/Sherrod are ready for more.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that they were moving the ball. One long drive in the first half for a FG and the TD came after a muffed punt.

Agree that the loss of Buluga was big thought.

Well yeah except how many of our drives sputtered because Aaron just flat out missed an easy throw? I think the first drive died after some good initial movement after Aaron threw a wide receiver screen a yard behind Jordy Nelson and turned what would have likely been a 5 yard gain into a 2 yard loss. I counted 2 other drives where Aaron screwed up two easy throws and the Offense sputtered. Then of course there were his sideline jump balls that just didn't seem to have his usual touch. I'm not saying that Aaron was terrible last night but we do need him to outplay the other quarterback and let's face it Russell Wilson was the better player last night.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts