Big Mamajama

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
One of the impact players against the Jets who may have been overlooked is newly acquired Howard Green. He was pushing the O lineman back into the backfield regularly on Sunday and even got close to the QB a couple times. It sure was nice to see a big fat d linemen from our side pushing into the opponent's backfield. Why did the Jets ever cut him? I think he has a real shot at being a regular starter even when all the guys get healthy. What did you see?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy is a freakin beast!!! I bet the Jets regret cutting him. He arrived days before the game, had very little time to practice and learn the playbook, and he looked like he has been on the team all year. We need to get him a jersey that fits though, somebody show that boy to a tailor! LOL! Glad to have him aboard!!!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
He got cut for being too big. But screw that, he is did a fine job with the Packers and I hope he can keep it up all season. We already had Gilbert Brown.

Why are our fat lineman named after colors? Is the better question to ask.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The guy is a freakin beast!!! I bet the Jets regret cutting him. He arrived days before the game, had very little time to practice and learn the playbook, and he looked like he has been on the team all year. We need to get him a jersey that fits though, somebody show that boy to a tailor! LOL! Glad to have him aboard!!!

The added benefit of having a guy like that is in how other teams plan to handle him. They have to put someone extra on him, which frees up CM3 to do his thing. If they double up on CM3, then Green pushes into the backfield. Also, having that wide-body in the line really crunches up opponents' running opportunities.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Am I really the only one who seen him run away from the ball yesterday? In the 1st qtr, inside the Jets 20, Sanchez dropped back for a pass, and all of a sudden Green turns around and heads upfield, WTF?!?!

He did well though.. :)

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Am I really the only one who seen him run away from the ball yesterday? In the 1st qtr, inside the Jets 20, Sanchez dropped back for a pass, and all of a sudden Green turns around and heads upfield, WTF?!?!

It's the 3-4. He probably was assigned the short middle on that one.

Pixel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a minute...Rex Ryan fired a guy for being too fat? What?

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
It almost looked as is he was juked by the run and started chasing their back upfield or something...just an odd play that I dont see to often...
He came in to rush for a sec and then the back ran past him and off he went..lol

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, would Green be considered one of TT's "diamond in the rough" pick ups? Although it has only been one game of course...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The added benefit of having a guy like that is in how other teams plan to handle him. They have to put someone extra on him, which frees up CM3 to do his thing. If they double up on CM3, then Green pushes into the backfield. Also, having that wide-body in the line really crunches up opponents' running opportunities.

A double edged sword. If we don't strike you with Green, we will with CM3! Pass rushing and run D, I'm feelin this!!!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Green was probably one reason why we shut down their running game. He knew the plays.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think green had alot to do with y the defence played so well. That guy was making a push alot in the game. Did anyone else notice CM3 dropping in coverage alot in the game or am I trippin??

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He kinda reminds me of PAT WILLIAMS...we might have found a very "tiny" diamond in the rough

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really, really liked him. I thought of Jolly, less athletic, and bigger... Pickett is shorter and brings more to the table on passing downs, but he could be a comparison either.

As for Pat Williams, not in a million chance. The guy was a STUD when in prime. Green is a career backup. He's 31.

Gerard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If it's the play I'm thinking of, which I'm pretty sure it is, it was a screen Pass. Green started rushing, but then recognized the screen so he took off toward where the blockers were headed...I thought it was a heads up play because the point of a screen is to get your Rushers too far downfield to make a play.

He still didn't get there, but I thought it showed great awareness....I'm going to try and download the game and look for it...

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

I think I know which play you are talking about. If so, I think Green was faked out and thought the ball carrier was running past him.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way he looked pretty good. To get decent play out of him is awesome. One more guy to fit into the rotation so the rest of the front isn't so gassed in the 4th quarter is a good idea. Besides, having him and Raji on the line at the same time eats up four blockers which is great for our linebackers.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
I think I know which play you are talking about. If so, I think Green was faked out and thought the ball carrier was running past him.
Yeah, I think thats the one I seen. I said he was going upfield, but it was as if he was chasing LT (or SG). IDK, maybe he did recognize the screen and tried to make a play...Im not complaining! A guy that big with some heart and a tad of energy, Ill embrace! :)

"I love it when you call me big papa"

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Journal Sentinel wrote this in an article titled; New Lineman Green Is Pulling His Weight;

"We kind of like big guys," Capers said. "I know this: A couple of weeks ago when you looked at us from behind, those rear ends weren't quite as wide as they were out there yesterday. Those linebackers like those wide rear ends because they use up more blocks."

"The thought of having the 360/375-pound Green at one end position, the 340/350-pound Ryan Pickett at another end position and the 340/350-pound B.J. Raji in the middle allows Capers to feel much better about his run defense. If some team wants to line it up and run it against the Packers, he's got the beef to make them reconsider."

Members online