Besides being overpaid, why all the Cobb hate?

D

Deleted member 6794

There is about 1 million in roster and workout bonuses as well and I'm not sure if they go with the contract but I think they do so that would put him up to about 9.5 million for any new team. That's pretty high to convince a new team to take on.

A team trading for Cobb would have to account for the workout and roster bonuses as well although he's due to get a portion of the workout bonus by showing up to voluntary offseason workouts starting next week.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the hate either, the last 2 seasons Cobb gets a pass on me.

Jordy was out 2 years ago, and Cobb isn't a No.1 WR. And remember Adams couldn't catch a cold that year either, so Cobb had to do everything and then some(well almost everything, James Jones was a major contributor). Monty also missed half the season or more I believe, and when a defense only has to worry about 2 legitimate receiving options, that makes defending the pass not too difficult.

This past year Cobb was hurt, so he missed a couple games but production otherwise wasn't too bad. Had he played a full season he was on pace for roughly 800 yds and 7 TDs - which for a No. 3 WR is solid.

Cobb has been a Packer all his life, and if we are going to "overpay" I want our guys to cash those checks. I'm expecting a "big year" from Cobb this year, but it really boils down to what we get out of our running game, Jordy's/Adams' production, and his health. But with the addition of Bennett I expect him to steal away some of his production. I project 60 receptions for 785 yds, and 11 TDs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb has been a Packer all his life, and if we are going to "overpay" I want our guys to cash those checks.

It doesn't matter which players a general manager overpays for, at some point it will come back and haunt a team if this number gets too high.

H

HardRightEdge

Offseason forum fodder. The season cannot start soon enough.
Or at least the draft. ;)

Then I'll actually bother to look at some tape to assess which safeties Thompson drafted to play CB or DEs to play OLB or slot receivers to play RB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't get the hate either, the last 2 seasons Cobb gets a pass on me.

Jordy was out 2 years ago, and Cobb isn't a No.1 WR. And remember Adams couldn't catch a cold that year either, so Cobb had to do everything and then some(well almost everything, James Jones was a major contributor). Monty also missed half the season or more I believe, and when a defense only has to worry about 2 legitimate receiving options, that makes defending the pass not too difficult.

This past year Cobb was hurt, so he missed a couple games but production otherwise wasn't too bad. Had he played a full season he was on pace for roughly 800 yds and 7 TDs - which for a No. 3 WR is solid.

Cobb has been a Packer all his life, and if we are going to "overpay" I want our guys to cash those checks. I'm expecting a "big year" from Cobb this year, but it really boils down to what we get out of our running game, Jordy's/Adams' production, and his health. But with the addition of Bennett I expect him to steal away some of his production. I project 60 receptions for 785 yds, and 11 TDs.
The whole idea is to end up overpaying seldom and underpaying often. The more guys we have performing above the level of their compensation, the better off we will be in terms of team success.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% but if I am not mistaken if we trade him we are responsible for the bonus part of the cap hit and the new team only takes on the contract which is 8.6. Now that is still pretty high and may be a huge sticking point for many teams (it won't get any better next year by the way as his salary is the same) but its not quite as bad as his hit with us for this year. I only point that out becasue I was going to say the same thing when the trade talks popped up but I wanted to be sure of the numbers. There is about 1 million in roster and workout bonuses as well and I'm not sure if they go with the contract but I think they do so that would put him up to about 9.5 million for any new team. That's pretty high to convince a new team to take on.
The Packer can't trade him..................

Sky King

Reaction score
Or at least the draft. ;)

Then I'll actually bother to look at some tape to assess which safeties Thompson drafted to play CB or DEs to play OLB or slot receivers to play RB.
Sometimes the hope must be that they have found diamonds in the rough. Too bad that several have ended-up being transformed into not much more than (miscast) lumps of coal.

H

HardRightEdge

Sometimes the hope must be that they have found diamonds in the rough. Too bad that several have ended-up being transformed into not much more than (miscast) lumps of coal.
It's not so much the diamonds in the rough that are at issue. It's the ones laid out on velvet, the top picks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts