Besides being overpaid, why all the Cobb hate?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Allison doesn't possess the same traits as Cobb though and would be a terrible replacement for him. The Packers would need to add a slot receiver if they let Cobb walk away.
Cobb's perfect replacement is already on the team...all they have to do is draft a couple good RB's and move Ty Montgomery back to WR. Ty is Cobb 2.0, just bigger.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
WR & TE are the only positions that have any competent proven depth ATM.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that we currently have a lot of depth at WR. Allison is the next man up and he really hasn't proven enough, nor does he play slot and I doubt that Monty is going to switch back to WR anytime soon. IMO, losing Cobb and his chemistry with AR, would be a bigger loss than some realize.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not that I "hate" Cobb. I view him as one of the few players that would have value to other teams and plays a position that would not devastate the team if he were not here.

I don't think a lot of teams would be interested in trading for Cobb at the moment considering he's due to make more than $18 million over the next two seasons.

Cobb's perfect replacement is already on the team...all they have to do is draft a couple good RB's and move Ty Montgomery back to WR. Ty is Cobb 2.0, just bigger.

The Packers have been absolutely clear they're planning on moving Montgomery to running back full time.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People hate on him? I haven't seen much hate at all. Saying he's overpaid or discussing trade scenarios that include him which would improve the team isn't hate imo.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I don't think a lot of teams would be interested in trading for Cobb at the moment considering he's due to make more than $18 million over the next two seasons.

The Packers have been absolutely clear they're planning on moving Montgomery to running back full time.
I know...I'm just saying

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand it either. It's true he hasn't performed up to his contract but he's easily one of the best three receivers on the roster.
Cobb had a great catch/thrown to, ratio last year. Moving Montgomery to rb should get Cobb's numbers up.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Great player but slightly overpaid.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand it either. It's true he hasn't performed up to his contract but he's easily one of the best three receivers on the roster.
Out of the best 3 receivers on the roster... who is our best two?
I suspect GB will not pay 3 wrs big money... so when davante Adams is up for a big raise. How are things going to shake out?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great player but slightly overpaid.
Cobb's 2017 cap hit is around $13M, which puts him in company with Julio Jones and A.J. Green.

On the other hand, Rishard Matthews and Chris Hogan were signed last year in FA, and were more productive, despite it being their first season with their respective QBs, and they also have a fraction of the cap hit Cobb will in 2017. It's just a bad business move to be paying WR1 money to a guy being outplayed by $5M players, and others on rookie contracts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Cobb's 2017 cap hit is around $13M, which puts him in company with Julio Jones and A.J. Green.

On the other hand, Rishard Matthews and Chris Hogan were signed last year in FA, and were more productive, despite it being their first season with their respective QBs, and they also have a fraction of the cap hit Cobb will in 2017. It's just a bad business move to be paying WR1 money to a guy being outplayed by $5M players, and others on rookie contracts.

While I will agree Cobb is making more than he is worth, I think he is more valuable than some want to give him credit for. Nor is he being so overpaid that it makes sense for the Packers to cut him.

Cobb’s 2016 season was his second best as a pro. According to Pro Football Reference, 42.4 percent of the time, the Packers got a first down or a touchdown when they threw the ball to Randall Cobb, a higher percentage than Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, or Jared Cook.

Of course, if you compare Randall Cobb to some of the best deals in the NFL, he is going to look drastically overpaid, especially if you are using this years cap hit and not actually looking at the full terms of his contract. Are these guys on "cheap contract" guys currently available to the Packers to replace Cobb's production for $6.15M (savings if you cut Cobb)? Now compare Cobb to some of the most overpaid WR's, in the NFL last year and we can talk. Cobb was signed to a 4 year contract with a value of $10M/year after putting up some amazing numbers. If you were screaming that he wasn't worth a 4 year $40M contract in 2015, you have an argument. But if you weren't and you aren't factoring his contract into rating him now, than you are just doing what too many fans do and complain after the fact and not looking at the big picture of contracts and the market.

Look at these WR's contracts and the years they were signed:
  • Keenan Allen, Chargers - $11.3 million (2016)
  • Emmanuel Sanders, Broncos - $11 million (2016)
  • Tavon Austin, Rams - $10.5 million (2016)
  • Marvin Jones, Lions - $8 million (2016)
  • Eric Decker, Jets - $7.25 million (2014)

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my take on Cobb is we have never seen another NFL team and his impact in the wr corps there. When you have AR throwing him the ball it looks like he is a god. 10 mill a year good? No. Trade bait? Yes. Hate? No.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While its fine to **** and moan about Cobb being overpaid, what are you solutions? Jump in the DeLorean and travel back to 2015 and convince him to take less? Can you guarantee his chemistry and production by cutting him and signing another WR for $6.15 M (cap savings if you cut him)? People are complaining that he is way overpaid and thus should be traded, then explain to me how are you going to trade him and his contract? You can't have it both ways.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
While its fine to **** and moan about Cobb being overpaid, what are you solutions? Jump in the DeLorean and travel back to 2015 and convince him to take less? Can you guarantee his chemistry and production by cutting him and signing another WR for $6.15 M (cap savings if you cut him)? People are complaining that he is way overpaid and thus should be traded, then explain to me how are you going to trade him and his contract? You can't have it both ways.

I don't know. I keep getting pushed back to Seattle with Cobb. Cobb may not be worth 13 mill to the Patriots but I think he would be to the Seahawks. They have a solid receiver in Doug Baldwin but after that it's slim pickings. Jermaine Kearse is a 4. Paul Richardson hasn't developed his body and can't stay healthy. Tyler Lockett is coming off a horrific injury.

Cobb would probably be the best of the bunch for the Hawks. He is more explosive then Baldwin and is the perfect size that they like at the position and I believe he would gel well with Russell Wilson. So Randall Cobb with the Seahawks could be an 70-80 catch guy with 8-10 TD'S. That would be worth 13 mill for a team.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know. I keep getting pushed back to Seattle with Cobb. Cobb may not be worth 13 mill to the Patriots but I think he would be to the Seahawks. They have a solid receiver in Doug Baldwin but after that it's slim pickings. Jermaine Kearse is a 4. Paul Richardson hasn't developed his body and can't stay healthy. Tyler Lockett is coming off a horrific injury.

Cobb would probably be the best of the bunch for the Hawks. He is more explosive then Baldwin and is the perfect size that they like at the position and I believe he would gel well with Russell Wilson. So Randall Cobb with the Seahawks could be an 70-80 catch guy with 8-10 TD'S. That would be worth 13 mill for a team.
Once he is traded, he becomes a $9.4m dollar player. The $3m+ prorated SB is what makes him the $13m man.

D

Deleted member 6794

Out of the best 3 receivers on the roster... who is our best two?
I suspect GB will not pay 3 wrs big money... so when davante Adams is up for a big raise. How are things going to shake out?

Nelson is the Packers #1 receiver and Adams was Rodgers' second favorite target last season. Cobb is without a doubt the team's best slot receiver though.

It's too early to make an educated guess about how the situation at wide receiver works out after the 2017 season.

I don't know. I keep getting pushed back to Seattle with Cobb. Cobb may not be worth 13 mill to the Patriots but I think he would be to the Seahawks.

I highly doubt the Seahawks are interested in trading for Cobb and paying him $19 million over the next two seasons.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is any real hate for Cobb, just some mild disappointment. I think it goes back to that first game when he ran that kickoff back for a touchdown. We were the defending Super Bowl champs, we were on TV in a high profile game, and here's this rookie that comes in and has this big game. I remember hearing all this hype at the time, it was like OMG, here's the Super Bowl champs, and now they pick up this monster player in the draft. And while he's a good player, he just has never fully lived up to that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with you 100% but if I am not mistaken if we trade him we are responsible for the bonus part of the cap hit and the new team only takes on the contract which is 8.6. Now that is still pretty high and may be a huge sticking point for many teams (it won't get any better next year by the way as his salary is the same) but its not quite as bad as his hit with us for this year. I only point that out becasue I was going to say the same thing when the trade talks popped up but I wanted to be sure of the numbers. There is about 1 million in roster and workout bonuses as well and I'm not sure if they go with the contract but I think they do so that would put him up to about 9.5 million for any new team. That's pretty high to convince a new team to take on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with you 100% but if I am not mistaken if we trade him we are responsible for the bonus part of the cap hit and the new team only takes on the contract which is 8.6. Now that is still pretty high and may be a huge sticking point for many teams (it won't get any better next year by the way as his salary is the same) but its not quite as bad as his hit with us for this year. I only point that out becasue I was going to say the same thing when the trade talks popped up but I wanted to be sure of the numbers. There is about 1 million in roster and workout bonuses as well and I'm not sure if they go with the contract but I think they do so that would put him up to about 9.5 million for any new team. That's pretty high to convince a new team to take on.

You are correct. While I don't always understand every nuance of the contracts, one thing I alway look at is the "Dead Cap".....the team is stuck with it. So trading Cobb would mean the other team gets to pay him the $9.5M/year. Cobb this year will be "costing" the Packers an additional $6,156,250 over the $6.5M they already have as a sunk cost (if they were to cut him. Next year, that number jumps to an additional $9.5M, which would make cutting him more plausible in my mind.

Members online

Latest posts